Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Problem posting urls

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Problem posting urls

Postby ursaminortaur » November 20th, 2017, 4:07 pm

I've noticed that if a url contains characters such as £ sign then the it doesn't seem to be possible to post the link correctly.

For an example see

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=8160&p=97243#p97243

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Problem posting urls

Postby Itsallaguess » November 20th, 2017, 4:13 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:
I've noticed that if a url contains characters such as £ sign then the it doesn't seem to be possible to post the link correctly.

For an example see

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=8160&p=97243#p97243

I think we've seen this problem before.

I'm not sure if there's an answer to the issue that Stooz can implement on the board-side of things, but one thing I find very handy for these types of issues is the TINYURL site, that will create a new short-link URL from a URL input by the users -

http://tinyurl.com/

Of course this only works if people use the preview facility and realise that their URL might contain a rogue character that 'breaks' it on these boards, but I do try to do this when I post URL's because I always like to make sure any links I post are going to go to where I expect them to, and in doing so I also check that they work as real 'clickable' URL's in the thread as well.

I've edited the post you've linked above, to now include a proper TINYURL link to the relevant website, and it seems to be working now.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » November 20th, 2017, 4:20 pm

You can also use http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... ormat.html which would generate the URL:

http://www.pfc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads ... eshold.pdf

This has a possible advantage over URL shorteners that the original URL is still legible apart from the special characters being replaced by hex codes. An URL shortener disguises the original URL so you don't know what you're clicking on..

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 20th, 2017, 4:26 pm

chas49 wrote:
You can also use http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... ormat.html which would generate the URL:

http://www.pfc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads ... eshold.pdf

This has a possible advantage over URL shorteners that the original URL is still legible apart from the special characters being replaced by hex codes. An URL shortener disguises the original URL so you don't know what you're clicking on..

You're quite right chas, and some people might prefer to see what they are clicking on.

I tend to trust posters generally, unless they are proven to be unreliable in these types of things, and I tend not to worry about it too much, but I appreciate your point.

I have a javascript button on my browser tool-bar that can be clicked when on any website, and it'll create a TinyURL from the current website address, so I tend to habitually use that format for my own posts.

I also tend to use it as a 'diverter', if I don't want to the landing-site to see that any 'referrals' are coming from this board, but that's also just my preference in some specific cases, mostly to do with our data-scraping activities....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » November 20th, 2017, 7:13 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:...mostly to do with our data-scraping activities....
Funny you should mention that old bean. My homemade HYP spreadsheet stopped working a short while back and I'm still fiddling around with the VBA trying to get it to work again.

Chris

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 20th, 2017, 8:13 pm

csearle wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
...mostly to do with our data-scraping activities....

Funny you should mention that old bean. My homemade HYP spreadsheet stopped working a short while back and I'm still fiddling around with the VBA trying to get it to work again.

If your spreadsheet uses the old Yahoo price-scrape routines, then they've stopped the feeds using the old methods fairly recently.

If you have a look at the basic 'Simple Price Scrape' VBA code, which has been modified to suit the new Yahoo price feeds, then you should be able to modify or copy the bits you want fairly easily, I'd imagine, and get going again fairly swiftly -

http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... crape.html

If you've any questions, then just let me know on the Financial Software Board and I'll try to help out.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » November 20th, 2017, 9:24 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:...
Thanks yes I used yahoo. When it crashed I found a variable full of a warning message! :D Thanks for the link. If I have any questions I'll post over there.

Cheers,
Chris

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » November 20th, 2017, 10:43 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:I tend to trust posters generally, unless they are proven to be unreliable in these types of things, and I tend not to worry about it too much, but I appreciate your point.

I don't really worry about a TinyUrl link either, but I felt it worth reminding others of the alternative ;-)

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”