Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

New Guidance & 'Rules' for High Yield Discussion Boards

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Re: New Guidance & 'Rules' for High Yield Discussion Boards

Postby Gengulphus » November 30th, 2017, 9:40 pm

Alaric wrote:... so there would still be scope for overlap and theological discussions as to "which board".

Fairly briefly, my feelings on those are:

* Overlap between boards is something that exists anyway for many pairs of boards - there's nothing particularly special about the HYP Practical and High Yield Share Strategies - General pair in that respect.

* "Which board?" questions/issues are usually reasonably easy to answer. Looking at the nature of the question you want to ask / issue you want to raise and posting on the board most appropriate for that, while crossposting to other boards whose readers you think are likely to be interested in joining the discussion on your main post to invite them to join it, will deal with many of them. If that doesn't resolve it, do the same with the nature of the answers / discussion you want to get - e.g. asking for suggestions about the next purchase for your HYP would best go on HYP Practical if you only want suggestions that fit its requirements (ordinary shares, not ITs, in the FTSE 350, etc), but on High Yield Share Strategies - General if you also welcome other suggestions of shares (preference shares, ITs, outside the FTSE 350, etc). If that still doesn't resolve it, you can probably safely plump for any of the remaining candidates.

* "Theological discussions" (including but not limited to ones about "which board?" questions) you can do your bit to discourage by reporting them if they take place on boards where they're off-topic (e.g. "to HYP or not to HYP?" discussions are off-topic on HYP Practical, but on-topic on High Yield Share Strategies - General) and by refusing to respond to them in any way regardless of the board they're on (often easier said than done, unfortunately). Responding to them instead encourages them, even if the response is to complain about them, say that they're debating a pointless issue, etc. It's a bit like an atheist walking into a meeting of various religious groups who are debating the nature of God, and announcing that their debate is pointless because God does not exist: the only likely effects are to raise the temperature of the debate and add the theological question "Does God exist?" to the issues being debated...

I don't however hold out any realistic hope that those measures will get rid of "theological discussions", not even those that are just about "which board?" questions. That's basically because I get the strong impression that there aren't a high enough number of Fools who seriously want to get rid of them for those measures to discourage them strongly enough, and even those who do seriously want to get rid of them can too easily fail to have sufficient willpower in the face of temptations to join such discussions - and I have to confess that there is an element of self-portrait in that description... :-(

Gengulphus

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 3rd, 2017, 10:10 am

Gengulphus

Thanks for your constructive comments. Having discussed them with the Mods, I have removed the word "Rules". We will also change to the title of the board from High Yield Share Strategies - General to High Yield Shares & Strategies - general. We will leave the other things as they are for the time-being.

Thanks
Clariman

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 3rd, 2017, 3:09 pm

Gengulphus wrote:I don't however hold out any realistic hope that those measures will get rid of "theological discussions", not even those that are just about "which board?" questions. That's basically because I get the strong impression that there aren't a high enough number of Fools who seriously want to get rid of them for those measures to discourage them strongly enough, and even those who do seriously want to get rid of them can too easily fail to have sufficient willpower in the face of temptations to join such discussions - and I have to confess that there is an element of self-portrait in that description... :-(

Although I notice the theological debates and disagreements here, and deem it preferable that they don't happen excessively, I am in the camp of believing that they don't necessarily matter in the grand scheme of things. if people want to engage in expending a lot of energy debating some arcane aspect of the topic, then I am happy to let them. I don't feel an irresistable urge to intervene and join in, nor to try and get that discussion terminated or censored. Rather I find it trivially easy to ignore such excursions, and in fact the structure of TLF makes that easier than it was on TMF. It's not much different from the skills involved in ignoring any topic that doesn't interest me. I simply skate over it and move on.

That ease of ignoring commentary which I find to be irrelevant or uninteresting may not be as easy for others. It depends on how you filter and use the site. And it also depends on how easy you find it to resist an urge to correct others when you think they are drifting off topic. I will post a lot to criticise somebody's ideas when I think they are wrong, but I generally will not post or report merely in an attempt to stop somebody else saying what they want to say, even if it technically stretches the definition of a topic.

So personally I don't see anything wrong with there being only a small number of Lemons who "seriously want to get rid of them" nor those who "fail to have sufficient willpower in the face of temptations to join such discussions". Indeed I feel that might be a sign of maturity and discrimination. As you said yourself in an earlier post: "Responding to them instead encourages them, even if the response is to complain about them".

A light touch is best, and so I welcome Clariman's decision to step back from using the word "Rules" in this context. The rest is simply a matter of accepting the inevitability of a certain amount of noise and not letting it get to you.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » December 4th, 2017, 9:02 am

Lootman wrote:Although I notice the theological debates and disagreements here, and deem it preferable that they don't happen excessively, I am in the camp of believing that they don't necessarily matter in the grand scheme of things. if people want to engage in expending a lot of energy debating some arcane aspect of the topic, then I am happy to let them. I don't feel an irresistable urge to intervene and join in, nor to try and get that discussion terminated or censored. Rather I find it trivially easy to ignore such excursions, and in fact the structure of TLF makes that easier than it was on TMF. It's not much different from the skills involved in ignoring any topic that doesn't interest me. I simply skate over it and move on.

I half-agree. They don't matter much if they occur in separate threads on the appropriate boards with a subject that indicates what they're about: as you indicate, they're trivially easy to ignore by unsubscribing/unbookmarking the thread (and probably other methods as well - I know there are other methods of trying to focus the reading time one has available for TLF on the material one finds most interesting besides my own, and know of some of them, but probably not all of them). What little they do matter is mainly the impression they're liable to give newcomers to the site - if someone comes here looking for practical investment advice, finds a board supposedly for practical advice about a particular investment strategy, then looks at the list of thread titles in it and finds they're mostly "theological debates", they're liable to think "what a load of useless *****s!" and give up on the site. And on TLF (unlike TMF) that's relatively easy to fix by moderators moving threads that are on an inappropriate board to an appropriate one - though it would be easier still all around if people took more care to post them to an appropriate board in the first place. (I admire the moderators for their self-control in moderator comments saying that they've moved a thread: I haven't yet seen one that adds "And for goodness sake stop creating this sort of work for me - put a bit of thought into where you post!", and they must have been tempted...)

Where they matter much more IMHO is when they 'hijack' an existing thread, because they tend to kill discussion of the existing subject of the thread. Not always - sometimes that discussion has reached its natural end and so is basically dead anyway - but if readers who are interested in the original subject and not in the "theological debate" have to wade their way through a mixture of posts about one and posts about the other, or still worse, posts that are partly about one and partly about the other, they are liable at some point (which will vary a great deal between readers) to abandon the original discussion because following it is taking too much of their time for too few results. And that's a vicious circle: the more people abandon the original discussion, the fewer results its remaining participants get, making them in turn more likely to abandon it...

That too can be fixed by moderators (again, unlike on TMF): they can split the "theological debate" posts out into a separate thread, and I would guess that in principle, they can even deal with part-original-subject-part-theological-debate posts by making a copy in the separate thread, then editing each of the original post and the copy down to the stuff that's relevant to the thread it's on (a guess because I've never seen it done in practice - and I'm not surprised: it would be a lot of work for the moderator relative to the amount of time & effort they are likely to have available for moderation).

But splitting the "theological debate" posts out into a separate thread also potentially involves quite a bit of work for the moderator. It appears to be quite easy for them to do so if the original subject was dead when the "theological debate" started - they just have to identify where the "theological debate" started and move all posts from there onwards into a separate thread. But if the original subject wasn't dead at that point, they need to wade through the subsequent posts to identify which ones need moving to do the job properly. And the longer the overlap period between the original subject and the "theological debate", the more work that will be - and the higher the chance that there will be some of the really awkward part-original-subject-part-theological-debate posts to deal with. For that reason, I reckon such situations are best reported as soon as it's clear that they're really happening.

And with regard to irresistible urges to get discussions terminated or censored, anyone who tries reporting posts for being off-topic to satisfy such urges really is living in the TMF past. It may have happened there (*), but here it's pretty clear by now that such attempts are doomed to fail: the usual moderator response to off-topic posts is not to terminate the discussion, but to move it to where it's on-topic.

(*) Though as far as I can tell, the people who confidently asserted that they knew it did lacked imagination about all the different motivations people could have for reporting posts: they simply came up with one idea that had the comforting property of putting themselves clearly in the right and their opponent clearly in the wrong and decided "that must be what happened".

Lootman wrote:So personally I don't see anything wrong with there being only a small number of Lemons who "seriously want to get rid of them" ...

Nor do I - I wasn't putting it forward as either something right or something wrong, just as a bit of reality (as far as I can tell) that anyone who does seriously want to get rid of them needs to face. Basically, I don't like them, especially when they end up killing a discussion that I do like. But I haven't bothered even trying to decide whether I seriously want to get rid of them because it seems clear to me that even if I decided that I did, any attempt to actually get rid of them would be beating my head against a brick wall...

Lootman wrote:... nor those who "fail to have sufficient willpower in the face of temptations to join such discussions". Indeed I feel that might be a sign of maturity and discrimination. As you said yourself in an earlier post: "Responding to them instead encourages them, even if the response is to complain about them".

Eh? Someone who fails to have sufficient willpower in the face of temptations to join such discussions is someone who gives in to those temptations, i.e. who joins the discussion. It's having the willpower that is the sign of maturity and discrimination - failing to have it is the opposite!

Gengulphus

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 4th, 2017, 2:01 pm

Gengulphus wrote:What little they do matter is mainly the impression they're liable to give newcomers to the site - if someone comes here looking for practical investment advice, finds a board supposedly for practical advice about a particular investment strategy, then looks at the list of thread titles in it and finds they're mostly "theological debates", they're liable to think "what a load of useless *****s!" and give up on the site

I don't know that it would cause people to necessarily give up on the site, but rather to give up on that particular board, in this case HYP. And if someone is put off from HYP by seeing chaotic topics, rambling ideological debates and pointless quibbling then that serves a useful purpose as well. It serves to inform the investor that this is an investing methodology that requires faith and passion, and that is idiosyncratic enough to provoke religious battles.

And whilst I'd hate to see TLF lose members, I don't necessarily see it as a problem if HYP has less fans and some other investing method has more. If supporters of West Ham give up on them because their fans are always fighting, and they instead support Cheltenham FC because its fans are more genteel and genial, then they are still football fans. Just fans who want a quieter life.

Gengulphus wrote:(I admire the moderators for their self-control in moderator comments saying that they've moved a thread: I haven't yet seen one that adds "And for goodness sake stop creating this sort of work for me - put a bit of thought into where you post!", and they must have been tempted...)

I would imagine that moderators have been instructed not to inflame discussions or members by being overtly critical in such a way. I suspect it is deemed to be in the interests of the site to not have aggrieved and disgruntled Lemons, who might then undermine the goodwill that holds this community together. And particularly since this is peer moderation and not parental moderation - moderators also have to moderate each other's posts!

And I think this comes back to philosophy and the issue I raised earlier. Do we want strong rules and aggressive moderators? Or a light touch where members are trusted to largely police themselves and practice self-restraint? The danger with any prescription for more aggressive rules and moderation is that the solution may be worse than the problem, as members become more irritated with moderation and the site, as happened a fair amount on TMF where moderation was more ambitious and invasive. Sometimes the patient survives the disease only to die from the cure.

Gengulphus wrote:Where they matter much more IMHO is when they 'hijack' an existing thread, because they tend to kill discussion of the existing subject of the thread. Not always - sometimes that discussion has reached its natural end and so is basically dead anyway - but if readers who are interested in the original subject and not in the "theological debate" have to wade their way through a mixture of posts about one and posts about the other, or still worse, posts that are partly about one and partly about the other, they are liable at some point (which will vary a great deal between readers) to abandon the original discussion because following it is taking too much of their time for too few results. And that's a vicious circle: the more people abandon the original discussion, the fewer results its remaining participants get, making them in turn more likely to abandon it...

I agree that can be annoying but it is by no means restricted to the HYP boards. I notice on other boards that a topic will split into two or three sub-topics, and so it's important to retain awareness of which of those two or three threads a new post is about. Usually it's fairly obvious as long as the poster quotes the text he/she is responding to. It's the posts that do not do that, and do not address an individual, that can be harder to track.

My point being that it's not unusual for an original topic to spawn more than one strand that is interesting. Unravelling that may be either difficult or impossible for a moderator, and I would not wish that upon those who give up their free time here. On TMF the moderators were paid and so I was not so concerned about their workload.

Gengulphus wrote:And with regard to irresistible urges to get discussions terminated or censored, anyone who tries reporting posts for being off-topic to satisfy such urges really is living in the TMF past. It may have happened there (*), but here it's pretty clear by now that such attempts are doomed to fail: the usual moderator response to off-topic posts is not to terminate the discussion, but to move it to where it's on-topic.

I think you are referring there to what was sometimes called "mischievous reporting", where a post would be reported for reasons that had less to do with any material problem caused by the post itself and more by a desire to "ding" the other party for some perceived sleight or past misdemeanour. In the worst cases this kind of stalking would lead to "tit-for-tat" post reporting and/or meta-arguments on the Civil Discussions Board.

I haven't noticed that happening on TLF and so would agree with you that such tactics wouldn't work here much at all, and that's a good thing. I have my reasons for why the TMF staff allowed such tactics, but such a discussion about that here would of course be off-topic and therefore subject to non-mischievous reporting :)

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 4th, 2017, 3:01 pm

Lootman wrote:I would imagine that moderators have been instructed not to inflame discussions or members by being overtly critical in such a way.

We have not. In fact, we have not been 'instructed' anything. We discuss things, like adults.

Mel

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 4th, 2017, 3:26 pm

melonfool wrote:
Lootman wrote:I would imagine that moderators have been instructed not to inflame discussions or members by being overtly critical in such a way.

We have not. In fact, we have not been 'instructed' anything. We discuss things, like adults.

Mel

Now do as you're told Mel! :twisted: :lol: ;)

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » December 4th, 2017, 3:46 pm

Clariman wrote:
melonfool wrote:

Mel

Now do as you're told Mel! :twisted: :lol: ;)

If it was so, then I missed that discussion. So apologies to all those that I have criticsed or inflamed. It will not happen again (dream on). :lol: :twisted:

Raptor.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 4th, 2017, 4:00 pm

Raptor wrote: I missed that discussion. So apologies to all those that I have criticsed or inflamed. It will not happen again (dream on). :lol: :twisted:

You've never criticised or inflamed me (at least not that I have noticed; I imagine that I do not read all moderator comments about my posts since there is no automatic notification process).

In fact I haven't noticed any moderator being like that (with one possible exception which I will keep to myself). The fact that moderators do not behave in the more critical way that Gengulphus was indicating might reasonably be seen as some kind of affirmative consensus about what the ethos of this site should be. If that is not formalised it may still be reasonably inferred.

Anyway that was all a roundabout way of saying that I think you're doing a good job without being snide or snarky.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”