Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

New Guidance & 'Rules' for High Yield Discussion Boards

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: New Guidance & 'Rules' for High Yield Discussion Boards

Postby Breelander » November 28th, 2017, 11:41 pm

csearle wrote: @Bree I am thinking that if you added the caveat "The odd constituent of my HYP does not fall within the HYP guidelines as defined but is there for historical reasons" then you might ward off any concerns. I suspect common sense would prevail. I don't get the feeling that the moderators of that (or any) board are trying to wind anyone up.

Well, I do feel wound up. I've had my wrists slapped for daring to quote Gengulphus' reasoned argument as to how a preference share could play a part in an HYP (a discussion that was allowed on TMF). The suggestion was to go and post elsewhere in future.

The RULES now say "we define an HYP as a portfolio comprised exclusively of ordinary shares". Gengulphus' "A HYP strategy doesn't have to adhere 100% to these hallmarks" from the FAQ we lived by for years has apparently been ignored in drawing up The New Order.

If I have to apologise each time I post and look over my shoulder for 'mod attacks' then I do not feel welcome anymore.

Heavy moderation to make people go away and post on other boards can only (IMHO) be partially successful. The first objective only will be achieved, they will go away.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » November 29th, 2017, 12:21 am

Lootman wrote:HYP has been likened to a cult or a religion, which I think is at the heart of the wars here.

The original articles are treated as something of a sacred text, whose interpretation is endlessly argued.

Outside of ISAs and SIPPs, deliberately targeting income producing shares is now tax inefficient once you exceed £ 2000 a year if the personal allowances are already spoken for. Also shares with high dividends can be companies that have to pay a high price for their equity capital. In the fixed interest world a parallel high yield borrowing would be termed "junk bonds".

beeswax
Lemon Quarter

Postby beeswax » November 29th, 2017, 1:12 am

When reading some of these threads and how ungrateful some posters seem to be, I wonder if Clariman and Stooz may just say one day, enough is enough and just decide to shut up shop as I'm sure they have plenty of other things to do rather than put up with the undeserved flak they get here. Maybe they should ask for a mandatory subscription?

I may also add that I have never ever had more than a couple of shares and even those I day traded and still find I can't spend what I have and to me its just not worth all the hassle and time some people put into these things but each to his own!

Thank you Clariman and Stooz for all your free time and effort you have put in. appreciated very much.

MrFahrenheit

Postby MrFahrenheit » November 29th, 2017, 8:31 am

beeswax wrote:When reading some of these threads and how ungrateful some posters seem to be, I wonder if Clariman and Stooz may just say one day, enough is enough and just decide to shut up shop as I'm sure they have plenty of other things to do rather than put up with the undeserved flak they get here.

Although I obviously can't speak for others, I haven’t read anything that makes me think there's any flak directed towards Clariman or Stooz. I’d be very disappointed if that were the case, as they wouldn’t deserve it. While obviously various HYPERs consider various other HYPERs responsible for the problems, I don't get any sense that anyone blames Clariman or Stooz.

In fact, the impression I got from reading this thread as it developed, and re-reading the whole thing again just now, is that there's much more sadness than anger.

Clariman's point about Church schisms reminds me of a story I read about the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem. It was jointly owned and operated by Orthodox, Catholic and Protestant clergy. But they bickered so much among themselves that it became impossible to run the place effectively. The solution they eventually reached was to hand over the keys to a Jew, who had no view on the matters they bickered about, and was therefore able to take a rational view.

I see Clariman and Stooz as being in a similar positon- not being HYPers themselves they're not bound to any viewpoint, but just want to help out. They're peacemakers rather than participants.

They must have wondered "What the (...) have we taken on here?" at various points. Massive kudos to both of them for baling us out, and for persisting in helping a troublesome set of guests.

Cheers
MrFahrenheit

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » November 29th, 2017, 8:40 am

tjh290633 wrote:
Breelander wrote:I repeat...
Breelander wrote:Have you ever tried retrospectively recalculating eight years of unitisation?

Yes, I have. In 2008 when I amalgamated my ISA and my PEP I had to merge two cash flows, one from 1999 and the other from 1987, it gave me 21 years of new calculations. It helped having a reasonable cash flow for each, but I only worked on month-end figures.

TJH

I did 10 years of data, it was long and painful experience with many a mistake. Was it worth it? Helped see the progress but to be honest do not use it much now, except year end to check how it is going.

I found it more useful to have my spreadsheets create a sub-set of just HYP. Which I use on practical, though it does skew the %'s. works for me and the board.

Would be sad IF Breelander stopped posting as he certainly has given me a few pointers in the past and has been a "good read". I think we need more of that on Practical, to be honest.

Raptor.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » November 29th, 2017, 10:27 am

I will just add that if the board were unmoderated then another set of posters would probably leave. It is quite annoying to click on a post ostensibly about Shell and end up reading about preference shares.

As Clariman said, we'll never please everyone.

Now, I'm off to join the People's Front of Judea, or maybe the Judean People's Front, I've not quite decided....

Mel

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 29th, 2017, 11:55 am

melonfool wrote:I will just add that if the board were unmoderated then another set of posters would probably leave...

Moderation is essential. But when an old-timer like me starts to feel the moderation is too frequent and narrow-focused it's time to review the policy.

It was the rich tapestry of thought and conversation that made the TMF version of the board such a valuable resource. It is this that I feel is being increasingly stifled by overly enthusiastic moderation.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » November 29th, 2017, 12:09 pm

Breelander wrote:
melonfool wrote:I will just add that if the board were unmoderated then another set of posters would probably leave...

Moderation is essential. But when an old-timer like me starts to feel the moderation is too frequent and narrow-focused it's time to review the policy.

It was the rich tapestry of thought and conversation that made the TMF version of the board such a valuable resource. It is this that I feel is being increasingly stifled by overly enthusiastic moderation.

===============================

my own memory of TMF is having many posts reported and deleted , usually if i had questioned the strict HYP mantras.

i would have preferred the HYP practical left alone for those who have become strongly attached to it , and a new board for discussion of higher yielding shares (NOT strategies) without so many of the pyadic constraints .

:(

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 29th, 2017, 12:24 pm

jackdaww wrote: ... i would have preferred ... a new board for discussion of higher yielding shares (NOT strategies) without so many of the pyadic constraints .

A quick glance at viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8652 finds:

High Yield Share Strategies - General

The High Yield Share Strategies board is intended for wide-ranging discussions of ways to obtain high yields from equities. ...

From that I think one can safely assume the word Strategies shouldn't be of concern and I can't really see any PYADic constraints in the General board guidance/guidelines. Especially as it also includes If in doubt about where to post please post here where the discussions can be more wide-ranging.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » November 29th, 2017, 1:07 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
jackdaww wrote: ... i would have preferred ... a new board for discussion of higher yielding shares (NOT strategies) without so many of the pyadic constraints .

A quick glance at viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8652 finds:

High Yield Share Strategies - General

The High Yield Share Strategies board is intended for wide-ranging discussions of ways to obtain high yields from equities. ...

From that I think one can safely assume the word Strategies shouldn't be of concern and I can't really see any PYADic constraints in the General board guidance/guidelines. Especially as it also includes If in doubt about where to post please post here where the discussions can be more wide-ranging.

=================================

sorry its just not good enough for me - i did say NOT strategies - its title clearly means its for discussing strategies - and presumably people want a board for doing just that - which is fine .

i want to discuss SHARES .

and it would be so easy to do .

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » November 29th, 2017, 2:20 pm

jackdaww wrote:

sorry its just not good enough for me - i did say NOT strategies - its title clearly means its for discussing strategies - and presumably people want a board for doing just that - which is fine .

How about Sectors & General Shares

@Breelander. Unfortunately relaxing moderation did not work. I and other mods left the "board" to its own devices and waited to act on "reports", after a while it seemed that nearly every other post was complaining about the threads and posts being off topic but no-one reported anything. As we have said "unfortunately we cannot please everyone".

Raptor.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 29th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Raptor wrote:How about Sectors & General Shares ...

Raptor.

I'd hope that board is not to be used for yet more High Yield or HYP type discussions.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » November 29th, 2017, 2:49 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
Raptor wrote:How about Sectors & General Shares ...

Raptor.

I'd hope that board is not to be used for yet more High Yield or HYP type discussions.

No please no more High yield boards please ;) Jackdaww said he wanted to discuss SHARES? Does it matter then whether they are High Yield or not? I have seen threads for shares which also appear on HYP Practical, CNA springs to mind.

Raptor.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » November 29th, 2017, 2:58 pm

Raptor wrote:
jackdaww wrote:

Raptor.

==========================

yes , thanks , i know about , and post on , the shares ideas board.

but the context here was "high yield" HYP .

so i want a board for the discussion of high yield SHARES.

so to summarise , i hope clearly , i would like to see three high yield boards ---

1. HYP practical - as it WAS - for long standing HYP devotees .

2. high yield shares general - without HYP practical constraints - a new board .

3. high yield share STRATEGIES - to discuss , as the title says , strategies , NOT shares.

:idea:

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » November 29th, 2017, 3:11 pm

jackdaww wrote:
Raptor wrote:
jackdaww wrote:

Raptor.

==========================

yes , thanks , i know about , and post on , the shares ideas board.

but the context here was "high yield" HYP .

so i want a board for the discussion of high yield SHARES.

so to summarise , i hope clearly , i would like to see three high yield boards ---

1. HYP practical - as it WAS - for long standing HYP devotees .

2. high yield shares general - without HYP practical constraints - a new board .

3. high yield share STRATEGIES - to discuss , as the title says , strategies , NOT shares.

:idea:

High yielding shares doesn't need its own board, for goodness sake! The car board will be wanting a board for every colour of car next.

Everyone seems to be really confused between high yield shares and HYP. They are not the same thing, so it's non-sensical to say "the context here was "high yield" HYP".

To discuss the [defined] HYP, use the HYP board, to discuss 'strategies' around HY shares, use the HY Strat board. To discuss any share, for any reason, for any outcome you like - yield, growth, income, value, flying unicorn benchmark - use the general shares board.

Mel

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 30th, 2017, 7:58 am

Could I suggest a couple of small wording changes that I think would meet many of the concerns in this thread:

* Rename "High Yield Share Strategies - General" as "High Yield Shares & Strategies - General" to make it clearer that discussion of both individual high-yield shares and of strategies involving them is welcome on the board. That appears to me to be the situation in practice, and I can't see any harm in making the board title reflect that better.

* Remove "& RULES" from the title of the locked "BOARD GUIDANCE & RULES - Which High Yield Board?" announcement. Reading through it, I don't see much that is completely unambiguously worded as a rule (i.e. that must be obeyed) rather than guidance, and this thread has made it clear that moderators are basically expected to treat it as guidance.

An alternative is to put quotes around "RULES", as has been done for "Rules" in this thread's title. But I think it's a less good alternative, basically because some readers don't really see punctuation as significant - so if the word "rules" appears, with or without quotes, they're liable to see statements as rules when they were intended to be guidance. And there are quite a few such statements in the announcement, e.g. those using the word "should". (Very much an aside, but "should" was basically a banned word in technical documents published by my former employer - if their Tech Pubs department noticed it being used, they would normally edit it to "must", making it an unambiguous rule, or find a way to reword in some form such as "It is strongly recommended that ...", making it unambiguously guidance - with sometimes-amusing results when they got it wrong which it was intended to be! And before anyone says, yes, the announcement is not a technical document, but it does share the characteristic of wanting to be as clear and unambiguous as reasonably possible.)

One possible objection to this change is that just calling it guidance might make people take it too lightly. If so, I think a mild strengthening of the sentence "Please abide by this guidance." within the text to make it clear that it is to be taken fairly seriously would be in order.

I would also suggest a few other wording changes to the announcement to deal with issues that I don't think have come up in the thread, but I think are liable to at some point:

* In the first paragraph following the blue "HYP Practical" heading, I would suggest replacing "If selected, ..." with "When selected, ..." or "When bought, ..." to make it clearer that the requirements only apply at the point of purchase and continuing to hold them after that is OK. This is based on having seen some people interpret the corresponding statement in the TMF definition as a statement about when shares should be held, that therefore said that shares should be sold when they ceased to qualify, when it was only intended to be about what shares were bought. (That statement is "The type of strategy discussed on this board invests in shares: ... • With high dividend yields, and safety factors ..." in the answer to question 6: the ambiguity is that "invests" can refer either to the act of investing (i.e. buying) or to the state of being invested (i.e. holding).)

* In that same paragraph, I would suggest replacing "At its simplest, it will have at least 15 holdings, none of which should be from the same sector." with "It should have at least 15 holdings, in at least 15 different sectors, or be anticipated to grow to that size.". This makes it clear that e.g. 20 holdings including up to 5 sector duplicates is perfectly OK, as clarified in this thread; more important, it tells people starting out that it's perfectly OK to discuss a HYP that hasn't yet been grown up to full size (e.g. GDHYP in its first 3.75 years, before it had grown to 15 holdings, or indeed the somewhat longer period until it got up to 15 sectors). And yes, I am pretty certain that the moderators will exercise common sense on that point - but that's through experience of the last year of TLF, and of many of the same people before that on TMF: newcomers to HYP may well be newcomers to the site as well, in which case they won't have that experience!

* Again in that same paragraph, I would suggest replacing "A long term buy and hold (LTBH) of these shares is envisaged." with "The investor should envisage a long term buy and hold (LTBH) of these shares." - just makes it clear that it's about the investor's vision and not that of some unidentified third party.

* In the second following paragraph, I would suggest replacing "Personal feelings can affect the choice, including ethical considerations. Additional criteria may be used by individuals." with "Additional criteria may be used by individuals. These include personal feelings, such as ethical considerations, but personal feelings should only be described briefly, not justified or debated at length." This is basically to avoid leaving an open door for ethical debate!

One final comment is that I haven't tried to cover everything in the thread in this post - it's just about some changes that I feel might be relatively non-controversial. For example, I have quite a bit of sympathy for the view that the in-at-least-15-sectors part of the diversification requirement is probably set too high, especially considering that HYP1 doesn't meet it - and not just because it's got both International Hotels and Mitchells & Butlers, as Wizard observed. That's excusable for when-bought reasons: it only bought one such share, namely Bass, which became those two holdings as a result of a demerger (plus some renamings along the way). But it's also got the two miners Anglo American and Rio Tinto, and has had them right from the start. And indeed it did have two banks from the start until Alliance & Leicester was taken over during the financial crisis. But I haven't yet come up with a good wording change to cover that...

Gengulphus

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » November 30th, 2017, 8:13 am

Gengulphus wrote:Could I suggest a couple of small wording changes that I think would meet many of the concerns in this thread:

* Rename "High Yield Share Strategies - General" as "High Yield Shares & Strategies - General" to make it clearer that discussion of both individual high-yield shares and of strategies involving them is welcome on the board. That appears to me to be the situation in practice, and I can't see any harm in making the board title reflect that better.

Gengulphus

================================================

i welcome that suggestion.

JD

:)

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » November 30th, 2017, 9:13 am

Good points, Gengulphus. The point about embryonic portfolios is well made. I also agree that "Rules" is not an appropriate word, as they are intended to be just guidelines. For that reason, "should" is the correct word to use, as there is no compulsion.

TJH

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » November 30th, 2017, 9:27 am

Gengulphus wrote:* Rename "High Yield Share Strategies - General" as "High Yield Shares & Strategies - General" to make it clearer that discussion of both individual high-yield shares and of strategies involving them is welcome on the board.

Makes considerable sense, although I've noticed that one of the recent posts on the "practical" board is about the results for Aviva, so there would still be scope for overlap and theological discussions as to "which board".

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 30th, 2017, 8:28 pm

tjh290633 wrote:I also agree that "Rules" is not an appropriate word, as they are intended to be just guidelines. For that reason, "should" is the correct word to use, as there is no compulsion.

Yes, I think that's an important point. The concept of a rule presupposes some kind of enforcement and a bad outcome for any transgressor. The rule against robbing a bank comes with the prospect of years in prison if I break it - easily sufficient to deter any but the most hardened ne'er-do well.

But in the context of a site like this, there is no equivalent penance. Sure, a post can be removed and maybe even a user suspended. But at the end of the day that's rather like the worst that could happen if I rob a bank and get caught is having to give the money back.

I'd like to think that I speak for most here when I say that I try and follow the guidelines and the "should's" because of goodwill towards the enterprise and respect for our two sponsors. That is a more powerful motivator than any edifice of rules and punishments that could be erected. Absent a big stick, a light and deft touch is the best way.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”