Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Top Posts Recs... in the last 60 days

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
stooz
Site Admin

Top Posts Recs... in the last 60 days

Postby stooz » January 3rd, 2018, 10:05 pm

One of the bugs bears of the recs system is that is showed everything for all time.
I have just updated it with a hard coded limit to show only the posts that have received thanks in the last 60 days.

Please let me know your thoughts!

app.php/toplist

Stooz.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Re: Top Posts Recs... in the last 60 days

Postby Clitheroekid » January 5th, 2018, 12:08 am

It's a shame you can't do both. There were some classic posts on TMF that I went back and re-read years after they had been posted, but I wouldn't have been able to find them through the ordinary search routine (or perhaps more accurately I couldn't have been bothered to try and do so).

It's also the case that, as with TMF, there are quite a few boards I rarely or never visit and I would hate to miss out on a nugget of supreme wisdom from one of these boards. If they were preserved permanently I could just have a look at the top rec'd posts once every so often.

You might say that I could just do this once every 59 days. The problem with that is that 60 days isn't really long enough to distinguish a really good post from the rest - over such a relatively short period there are likely to be quite a few with a similar number of recs, whereas over a longer period of time the really good ones are likely to accumulate a much higher score.

So if it's not practicable to do both I'd personally prefer to leave things as they are / were. However, I suspect that I'm in the minority, so will gracefully concede!

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » January 5th, 2018, 1:14 am

I'm with CK on the 60 days is too short. I don't use the recs thing much but instinctively feel more like 180 days or even 1 year might be better

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » January 5th, 2018, 1:28 pm

No problem,
It was a complaint of the system when it was introduced that the "full" range was too long, but I would hope to introduce a pulldown date range next.
In the meantime I will up it to something higher.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » January 5th, 2018, 1:36 pm

I think the aim has utility; for me that would be identifying very good posts in places I wouldn't usually visit.

Just one thought, how is 'Rating' calculated, 'Been Thanked'/Reads? Oh hang on, each Thank seems to equal a Rating of approx 1.8. If that's the case it wouldn't appear to be adding value to the Thanked figure alone.

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » January 5th, 2018, 4:29 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:Just one thought, how is 'Rating' calculated, 'Been Thanked'/Reads? Oh hang on, each Thank seems to equal a Rating of approx 1.8. If that's the case it wouldn't appear to be adding value to the Thanked figure alone.

When I looked at this some time ago i worked out that its the number of recs (thanks ) relative to the most thanked post ever ( stoozs original rec announcement )

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » January 5th, 2018, 6:19 pm

stooz wrote:No problem,
It was a complaint of the system when it was introduced that the "full" range was too long, but I would hope to introduce a pulldown date range next.
In the meantime I will up it to something higher.

Short is better, otherwise it gets stale.

IMO, have a shortish default list but give the option to a look at a longer history: preferably a box type in an unrestricted number of days, rather than a drop-down. Even better: allow entry of start and end dates, with sensible defaults (one year for example).

The best way would be to do it like the Fool was, kind of exposing the database: allowing sorting of all posts by number of recs, date, author etc. In many cases doing this would be no more work than providing a number of individual, specific funtions, and much neater. Depends how this site works though...

GS

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”