Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Pizza

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Re: Pizza

Postby johnstevens77 » October 13th, 2017, 8:51 pm

We preheat the small top oven to 240C, no fan and cook the pizza in a pan on the bottom of the oven, not on any shelf. They take about 10 mins. My wife makes the wholewheat dough in the Panny with almost no proving. Toppings are always home made, (what do you expect?). They always turn out super!

john

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » October 14th, 2017, 2:54 pm

JMN2 wrote:I have a round pizza oven tray that has holes in it...

On Sunday I'll use Gianni's fast 2-phase proofing method for the dough and topping will be tuna, anchovies and olives. Tomatoes, cheese, onion, capers.

And then I'm done until late December when I'll be fed up with roasted potatoes, peas, ham and pate.

Have the feeder yeast doing its magic now in a jar, added some shrimps and blue cheese (couldn't help myself) to the toppings. So am using Gianni from North Beach Youtube channel's pizza margherita video's dough recipe.

May have to postpone my Sunday bockwurst goulash with boiled potatoes till next week...

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » November 4th, 2017, 1:45 pm

tea42 wrote:Have been thinking about my very thin pizza and the slight difficulty in putting it on the hot wire oven shelf whilst the shelf is in the oven. The obvious answer is to take the shelf out of the oven, switch the oven on and whilst it is heating up slip the pizza base onto the shelf and then put the sauce and ingredients on. Much easier than sliding a floppy fully loaded pizza base onto the shelf when its hot and in the oven.

Tried this today, worked perfectly

slartybartfast

Postby slartybartfast » January 3rd, 2018, 9:00 am

johnstevens77 wrote:We preheat the small top oven to 240C, no fan and cook the pizza in a pan on the bottom of the oven, not on any shelf. They take about 10 mins. My wife makes the wholewheat dough in the Panny with almost no proving. Toppings are always home made, (what do you expect?). They always turn out super!

john

I got a sheet of 1/4" steel which I put in the middle of the oven at full wack for at least 30 minutes before cooking along with a cast iron griddle sheet at the top to reflect heat down. This results in pizzas cooking in 5 minutes.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » January 9th, 2018, 2:57 pm

Looks like it'll be pizza on Friday and Saturday. Did the tomato sauce myself: olive oil, anchovies, garlic, oregano, basil, pepper, salt, sugar, tomatoes.

Using my favourite toppings: ham, mushrooms, artichoke, prawns, capers, blue cheese, cheese.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » January 11th, 2018, 3:09 pm

No-knead dough sure is fool-proof, last night I mixed the flour, salt, olive oil, yeast, water in a very wet sticky mix, no more than 1 minute of mixing, just now patted it with a little flour, dough was very fluffy and soft, gluten strands galore, just needs a little flour so it doesn't stick to hands. Dough now waiting in a fridge for weekend's pizza feast.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » January 13th, 2018, 7:10 pm

4th oven tray pizza out of the oven, first two from yesterday got eaten by today lunchtime, ready to start finishing up, I put the remaining large squares into the freezer for next week and will continue tomorrow with tacos.

Prawns + stilton combo adds a good savoury twist on ham and mushrooms.

Sauce I copied this recipe, very fresh and light:
https://youtu.be/9IcEyz5kAww

Winding now down with Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout from Tadcaster.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » January 23rd, 2018, 5:03 pm

Mine must have a good dose of anchovies: the sharp salt taste 'cuts' any grease from (e.g.) cheese.
Good 'ole Pizza Express used to serve a Siciliana with artichoke hearts and anchovies - and I used to order it with extra anchovies. I have occasionally managed to get one even though it has long gone from the menu.
Their Giardiniera is a poor substitute.

I have tried home made, but just cannot get the over hot enough.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » January 23rd, 2018, 8:47 pm

I used to enjoy Pizza Express Siciliana too - a stand-out on the high street.
As I recall [?] Capricciosa was a back-up option.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » January 23rd, 2018, 9:23 pm

Capricciosa was a back-up option.

Spot on, DiamondEcho! Capricciosa was the one I started ordering when Siciliana became unavailable, but that too appeared to vanish.
They are obviously not catering for we people of piquant tastes any more.

To give them their due, Pizza Express is our favourite port of call when eating out with our grandchildren (ages 5 and 8) with the kids menus, Babychino 'coffees', drawing materials, paper hats and so on, and no black looks if there is a noise or mess (within reason; if things get particularly messy, I just ramp up the cash tip as well as apologising).

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » January 23rd, 2018, 10:15 pm

Back 10-15 years ago the mental reminder/order went 'Ex>Hut>Land' for a rule of thumb for quality - Pizza Express > Pizzahut > Pizzaland.
Yep I'm more 'piquant' - anchovies, capers, etc. No surprise we share similar tastes in pizzas :)

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » January 24th, 2018, 9:22 pm

My wife makes our pizzas, the dough in the Pany and the toppings made from scratch. In my opinion, she rather goes overboard with the topping. The pizza is cooked in a pizza pan on the bottom of the oven @230C, no fan, generaly very good. What is this with the pineapple, though? We never eat pizza outside or have take aways so the only time I saw pineapple on a pizza was on the Nile Hilton pizzeria dessert menu when I was a sous chef there back in 1982.
Pineapple? Please advise.

john

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » January 24th, 2018, 9:56 pm

johnstevens77 wrote:What is this with the pineapple, though? We never eat pizza outside or have take aways so the only time I saw pineapple on a pizza was on the Nile Hilton pizzeria dessert menu when I was a sous chef there back in 1982. Pineapple? Please advise. john

Didn't you witness the 70s UK, when pizzas were by default 'Hawaiian' - pineapple, cheese + ham or 'boring' Marinara? :lol:
I've done 12-15 week dive trips to Egypt, and the cuisine still seems pretty 80's/UK and perhaps current/the majority Soviet current tourists. Any hints of sophistication are no longer in play, not least since 1/2 of Italy quit visiting some years ago.
The Sinai is still an uncertain proposition; and despite how long I've spent over there, I'm not sure when or if I might ever return, Sharm etc are rather 'parallel' places vs reality [hey, welcome to the Middle-East! lol]

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » January 24th, 2018, 10:26 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:
johnstevens77 wrote:What is this with the pineapple, though? We never eat pizza outside or have take aways so the only time I saw pineapple on a pizza was on the Nile Hilton pizzeria dessert menu when I was a sous chef there back in 1982. Pineapple? Please advise. john

Didn't you witness the 70s UK, when pizzas were by default 'Hawaiian' - pineapple, cheese + ham or 'boring' Marinara?quote]

In the 70's, I was working in Mombassa, Tortola, France and Bahrain, so yes I did miss that debacle!

john

Return to “Food”