Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit Card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to MyNameIsUrl,GSVsowhat,johnstevens77,BusyBumbleBee,88V8, for Donating to support the site

Escargots

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
UncleEbenezer
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3649
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:17 pm
Has thanked: 414 times
Been thanked: 619 times

Escargots

#229063

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 12th, 2019, 10:37 pm

It seems to be high season for garden slugs - probably due to the coincidence of summer weather and some rain.

Anyone know if they can be turned into something delicious for humans, like their culinary cousins?

bungeejumper
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3123
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 2:30 pm
Has thanked: 666 times
Been thanked: 950 times

Re: Escargots

#229137

Postby bungeejumper » June 13th, 2019, 9:36 am

Fearnley-Whittingstall tried making kebabs from them, but he said they were like rubber bullets.

Unfortunately, AIUI, slugs carry some particularly nasty parasites, including heartworm and lungworm. Not sure I'd be inclined to risk it. :|

BJ

didds
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2063
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:04 pm
Has thanked: 818 times
Been thanked: 284 times

Re: Escargots

#229140

Postby didds » June 13th, 2019, 9:50 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:It seems to be high season for garden slugs - probably due to the coincidence of summer weather and some rain.

Anyone know if they can be turned into something delicious for humans, like their culinary cousins?



probably better used to feed chickens - catch, crush shels, throw to chooks.

then eat the eggs/chickens!

didds

didds
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2063
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:04 pm
Has thanked: 818 times
Been thanked: 284 times

Re: Escargots

#229142

Postby didds » June 13th, 2019, 9:52 am

other than the heartworm etrc conserns, the little i know is that you have to "rasie" or "husband" the snails for some whilke on very clean food stuffs in a very clean evironment eg lettuse in a sterile container etc) such that tyhey clean themselves through of all the rubbish they have ingested (grit, dirt etc) . Seems a lot of flap.

Nah. feed them to chooks and eat the chooks!

didds

UncleIan
Lemon Slice
Posts: 847
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:35 pm
Has thanked: 497 times
Been thanked: 372 times

Re: Escargots

#229156

Postby UncleIan » June 13th, 2019, 10:26 am

didds wrote:other than the heartworm etrc conserns, the little i know is that you have to "rasie" or "husband" the snails for some whilke on very clean food stuffs in a very clean evironment eg lettuse in a sterile container etc) such that tyhey clean themselves through of all the rubbish they have ingested (grit, dirt etc) . Seems a lot of flap.


"Purging" them I think it's called. Like you have to do with american signal crayfish fished out the river/canal.

6Tricia
Lemon Pip
Posts: 67
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:00 am
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Escargots

#229201

Postby 6Tricia » June 13th, 2019, 1:17 pm

When I lived in Spain it was not unusual to see people out with a bucket gathering snails after rain. The snails were washed clean and kept in the bucket with flour added as feed. This process continued for a week or so to purge them. In Catalunya they make a kind of stew with them.

Tricia

Rhyd6
Lemon Slice
Posts: 561
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:01 pm
Has thanked: 546 times
Been thanked: 272 times

Re: Escargots

#229231

Postby Rhyd6 » June 13th, 2019, 2:24 pm

Over the years I've found that sending the children/grandchildren and now great grandchildren outside with a small bucket and orders to fill with snails and slugs an excellent way of keeping them occupied and giving the chooks a treat. Only tried eating the little beggars once when we were in France, never again, like chomping on the end of a pencil rubber that's been dipped in garlic.

R6

johnstevens77
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 203
Joined: November 9th, 2016, 6:14 pm
Has thanked: 130 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Escargots

#229587

Postby johnstevens77 » June 14th, 2019, 6:36 pm

didds wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:It seems to be high season for garden slugs - probably due to the coincidence of summer weather and some rain.

Anyone know if they can be turned into something delicious for humans, like their culinary cousins?



probably better used to feed chickens - catch, crush shels, throw to chooks.

then eat the eggs/chickens!

didds


I did not know that slugs have shells!

didds
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2063
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:04 pm
Has thanked: 818 times
Been thanked: 284 times

Re: Escargots

#229609

Postby didds » June 14th, 2019, 8:19 pm

johnstevens77 wrote:[
I did not know that slugs have shells!


indeed.

Mind you I didn't know that slugs were also called escargots, as per the thread title :-)

ah - they are not. "Limace" apparently. Who knew?

didds

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3649
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:17 pm
Has thanked: 414 times
Been thanked: 619 times

Re: Escargots

#229631

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 14th, 2019, 11:27 pm

The thread title was intended as a little creativity, to relate the subject to one known for its culinary distinction.

I wasn't expecting any very positive response, but worth a try. And the chicken-fanciers among us clearly do have a use for them 8-)

bungeejumper
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3123
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 2:30 pm
Has thanked: 666 times
Been thanked: 950 times

Re: Escargots

#229654

Postby bungeejumper » June 15th, 2019, 9:00 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:I wasn't expecting any very positive response, but worth a try. And the chicken-fanciers among us clearly do have a use for them 8-)

The blackbirds are welcome to mine. :) Apparently Britain is home to two thirds of all the slugs in Europe. Come and get 'em, birds, dinner is served.

BJ

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3649
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:17 pm
Has thanked: 414 times
Been thanked: 619 times

Re: Escargots

#229670

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 15th, 2019, 10:04 am

Heh. They ought to do well with my garden: next door's cat is far too fat and lazy to kill birds himself, but asserts his territorial claim against any other cat entering my garden! Yet most of the vertebrate wildlife I see is just squirrels, pigeons, and occasional crows.

88V8
Lemon Slice
Posts: 514
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:22 am
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: Escargots

#233538

Postby 88V8 » July 2nd, 2019, 9:12 pm

Snails are a bit of a nothing without the garlic sauce imho.

Recall many years ago in Brittany we were eating from a communal bowl of mixed snails, dipping them in sauce, when I noticed that some of them were crawling up the side of the bowl.
Sudden loss of appetite.

V8

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1880
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 2:22 am
Has thanked: 305 times
Been thanked: 560 times

Re: Escargots

#233545

Postby vrdiver » July 2nd, 2019, 9:23 pm

bungeejumper wrote: Apparently Britain is home to two thirds of all the slugs in Europe.

A bit harsh. Not all our teenagers sleep in...

richlist
Lemon Slice
Posts: 463
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:54 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 89 times

Re: Escargots

#236480

Postby richlist » July 13th, 2019, 5:59 pm

Get a hedgehog or two......your garden slug population will virtually disappear.

Alternatively a house brick will do the same job.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1950
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:24 am
Has thanked: 559 times
Been thanked: 875 times

Re: Escargots

#236482

Postby kiloran » July 13th, 2019, 6:11 pm

richlist wrote:Get a hedgehog or two......your garden slug population will virtually disappear.

Alternatively a house brick will do the same job.

I must have the wrong species of house brick..... mine just lie there and watch the slugs slither by

--kiloran

sg31
Lemon Slice
Posts: 587
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:35 am
Has thanked: 219 times
Been thanked: 192 times

Re: Escargots

#236624

Postby sg31 » July 14th, 2019, 5:50 pm

richlist wrote:Get a hedgehog or two......your garden slug population will virtually disappear.

Alternatively a house brick will do the same job.
We've got 3 hedgehogs in different parts of the garden but they must be sluggish because we still have a lot of slugs.

genou
Lemon Slice
Posts: 359
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:12 pm
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 90 times

Re: Escargots

#236632

Postby genou » July 14th, 2019, 6:20 pm

sg31 wrote:
richlist wrote:Get a hedgehog or two......your garden slug population will virtually disappear.

Alternatively a house brick will do the same job.
We've got 3 hedgehogs in different parts of the garden but they must be sluggish because we still have a lot of slugs.


Hogs will only eat slugs if they can't find anything better. So richlist's hogs are starving.

Tzvikmister
Posts: 25
Joined: April 28th, 2019, 8:42 am
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Escargots

#241873

Postby Tzvikmister » August 5th, 2019, 2:12 pm

genou wrote:
sg31 wrote:
richlist wrote:Get a hedgehog or two......your garden slug population will virtually disappear.

Alternatively a house brick will do the same job.
We've got 3 hedgehogs in different parts of the garden but they must be sluggish because we still have a lot of slugs.


Hogs will only eat slugs if they can't find anything better. So richlist's hogs are starving.


C'mon Richlist, throw your hogs something to eat! :lol:


Return to “Food”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests