Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to 87investor,longview,Sussexlad,niord,staffordian, for Donating to support the site

Performance without weight.

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
88V8
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1159
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:22 am
Has thanked: 170 times
Been thanked: 344 times

Performance without weight.

#245938

Postby 88V8 » August 21st, 2019, 9:21 am

Lucky me, OH enjoys cooking.

But she struggles with some of the heavy pans that work with our induction hob.
Circulon. Quality, but heavy.

In particular the large frying pan.

Can anyone recommend a brand that gives good performance on an induction hob, but without the weight?

V8

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice
Posts: 271
Joined: November 9th, 2016, 6:14 pm
Has thanked: 195 times
Been thanked: 87 times

Re: Performance without weight.

#246140

Postby johnstevens77 » August 21st, 2019, 9:25 pm

88V8 wrote:Lucky me, OH enjoys cooking.

But she struggles with some of the heavy pans that work with our induction hob.
Circulon. Quality, but heavy.

In particular the large frying pan.

Can anyone recommend a brand that gives good performance on an induction hob, but without the weight?

V8


For frying pans, black iron is unbeatable, I have had mine for 20 years and they still cook perfectly. This example from Nisbets looks good to me.

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/de-buyer-mine ... 3450086_c_

For regular cooking pans, we had this discussion before, you get what you pay for and for me and others on this board, that is Mauviel 5 ply. Will cost an arm and a leg but they are super efficient, dishwasher safe, pour like a dream, the handles stay cool and are easy to use.

john

genou
Lemon Slice
Posts: 487
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:12 pm
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 155 times

Re: Performance without weight.

#246294

Postby genou » August 22nd, 2019, 1:31 pm

johnstevens77 wrote:
88V8 wrote:Lucky me, OH enjoys cooking.

But she struggles with some of the heavy pans that work with our induction hob.
Circulon. Quality, but heavy.

In particular the large frying pan.

Can anyone recommend a brand that gives good performance on an induction hob, but without the weight?

V8


For frying pans, black iron is unbeatable, I have had mine for 20 years and they still cook perfectly. This example from Nisbets looks good to me.

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/de-buyer-mine ... 3450086_c_

For regular cooking pans, we had this discussion before, you get what you pay for and for me and others on this board, that is Mauviel 5 ply. Will cost an arm and a leg but they are super efficient, dishwasher safe, pour like a dream, the handles stay cool and are easy to use.

john


Indeed we did. I second the Mauviel recommendation. On the black iron, consider also these guys - https://www.netherton-foundry.co.uk ; when I was looking they seemed to be making lighter pans. This - https://www.netherton-foundry.co.uk/iro ... ns/nfs-117 weighs in at 1.14kg , whereas the same size De Buyer ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Buyer-Mineral- ... B00462QP0W ) is listed at 1.9kg.

88V8
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1159
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:22 am
Has thanked: 170 times
Been thanked: 344 times

Re: Performance without weight.

#246640

Postby 88V8 » August 23rd, 2019, 8:13 pm

Thankyou.
We have Circulon pans atm https://circulon.uk.com/cookware.html which work well, but they are heavy.
The 10" frying pan, if that is what it is - 2" high - weighs about 4lb.

I'll look at these other options. Yes, I recall that earlier thread now you remind me.

V8

88V8
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1159
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:22 am
Has thanked: 170 times
Been thanked: 344 times

Re: Performance without weight.

#280675

Postby 88V8 » January 28th, 2020, 6:03 pm

Meanwhile, back at the stove.... the Mauviel of the same size weighs just a couple of ounces less than our Circulon, so no go.

Netherton don't have a pan the same size.

The Nisbets site is very helpful in that it gives all the weights. Vogue presents itself as a candidate https://www.nisbets.co.uk/vogue-tri-wal ... 40mm/gg031. a full pound lighter. Yes, it's a sauté pan, not a frying pan, I misspoke.
Any experience of Vogue?

V8

James
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 111
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:12 pm
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Performance without weight.

#280677

Postby James » January 28th, 2020, 6:18 pm

I've recently bought a Vogue 255mm frypan from Nisbets. Size and weight is perfect. I am having a bit of trouble with the seasoning of it, but that is probably more about me than the pan itself.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half
Posts: 5948
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:06 am
Has thanked: 605 times
Been thanked: 1201 times

Re: Performance without weight.

#280831

Postby redsturgeon » January 29th, 2020, 11:58 am

James wrote:I've recently bought a Vogue 255mm frypan from Nisbets. Size and weight is perfect. I am having a bit of trouble with the seasoning of it, but that is probably more about me than the pan itself.


These are some useful tips but a refer you especially to number three regarding preheating, this makes all the difference.

https://housewifehowtos.com/cook/how-to ... ess-steel/

John


Return to “Food”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests