Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Espresso Machine

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Espresso Machine

Postby redsturgeon » May 21st, 2022, 12:09 pm

Howard wrote:We like cappuccinos so I admit we are not really coffee purists. I use a DeLonghi basic espresso machine with a milk frother. Having practiced making coffee the way we like over many years it produces very good results comparable with the quality offered by a typical coffee bar in Italy. Much better than most UK restaurants. The creaminess of the milk is quite important to get the taste we like.

However we live in a hard water area and after a few years, despite regular de-scaling, the frother valve starts to allow drips to form during the coffee making process.

A replacement may be needed soon, I guess the DL machines last about six or seven years. Do more expensive models cope well with hard water?

regards

Howard

All coffee machines will need descaling regularly if hard water is used.

John

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 29th, 2022, 4:48 pm

Just contemplating something I've never heard of but found online, first through the wayfair website but googling finds more places. Scott "slimissimo" is well-reviewed, is fairly compact, and towards the reasonably-priced end of bean-to-cup machines.

Any experiences?

Johnspenceuk

Postby Johnspenceuk » May 29th, 2022, 9:13 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Just contemplating something I've never heard of but found online, first through the wayfair website but googling finds more places. Scott "slimissimo" is well-reviewed, is fairly compact, and towards the reasonably-priced end of bean-to-cup machines.

Any experiences?

I have had a Scott slimissimo for over two years and am very happy with the coffee delivered,
I think it was on offer on amazon then for £200.

John

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 29th, 2022, 9:42 pm

redsturgeon wrote:I'd love to get into the world of single origin coffee but it is just too complex for me.

A few years ago I was given a most excellent coffee by a well-off customer as I fixed his boiler. We got on very well and found loads to talk about and I commented that it was the best coffee I'd ever tasted. He said he was delighted I noticed it was good and liked it, as he gets coffee beans flown in specifically from <somewhere I've forgotten> and my coffee had probably cost about £35...

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 30th, 2022, 9:42 am

Going well off topic now, but what the heck, this is the food forum anyway..... ;)

Last week we spent a morning with a sweet little chintzy old lady who produced the best cup of coffee I've tasted in ages, straight out of a very ordinary cafetiere. Stonkingly good flavour, quite a high roast, and a really strong aroma.

It turned out to be from a Leeds outfit called the Union Coffee House, and simply called https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/ ... 576-464577. Costs anything from £4.95 (nb for 200 grammes) on Amazon to £8 and upwards. I don't think we'll be going back to Taylors. :D

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 30th, 2022, 10:15 am

bungeejumper wrote:Going well off topic now, but what the heck

Speaking as the OP whose topic this is, I approve.

Last week we spent a morning with a sweet little chintzy old lady who produced the best cup of coffee I've tasted in ages, straight out of a very ordinary cafetiere. Stonkingly good flavour, quite a high roast, and a really strong aroma.
BJ

Takes me back to my student days and my old coffee percolator. There was a coffee shop in King Street (no idea if it still exists) that sold a wide range of coffees from around the world, many of them superb, at student-friendly prices.

After graduating it came as a big disappointment that I never found a comparable shop anywhere else. The likes of Taylors charged three times the price of the Cambridge shop, for a product no better than a supermarket packet (also distressingly pricy).

Hypster
Lemon Slice

Postby Hypster » November 4th, 2022, 7:01 pm

I'm sorry to hear about the troubles you've had with your new Scott Slimissio:

UncleEbenezer wrote:I bought (online) a bean-to-cup coffee machine to replace my ailing espresso machine from 1998. It turned out great in all but one thing. The coffee it produces is not hot enough, verging on tepid.

I hope you don't mind but I wanted to capture this latest update here because I had bookmarked this thread so I could re-visit it when I'm ready to buy myself a machine. (I was waiting until we'd moved house but it doesn't look like that is going to happen any time soon).

I share your concern regarding the temperature - I've previously owned a Nespresso unit, which was too cold for my liking. I hope Wayfair refund you soon.

If you ever find a winning machine please let us know!

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 4th, 2022, 8:57 pm

Hypster wrote:I share your concern regarding the temperature - I've previously owned a Nespresso unit, which was too cold for my liking. I hope Wayfair refund you soon.

If you ever find a winning machine please let us know!

Interesting you should say that.

I've never had nor used a nespresso machine[1]. But a lot of the rave reviews of the Scott are people who have switched from nespresso. There must be a cohort out there who actually like tepid coffee! :shock:

And yes, today's problem is indeed the continuation of this thread. Though as you can see from the dates, I'm not a decisive person, and took some time to get around to ordering anything.

[1] Unless the pod-based thing I once did battle with in an Amsterdam hotel room was one? But I don't recollect any problem with the temperature there!

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Postby Newroad » November 4th, 2022, 11:25 pm

Hi All.

I've just had to replace my aging De Longhi Scultura. I've gone for a De Longhi Dedica. This guy seems quite enamoured with them.

https://coffeeblog.co.uk/delonghi-dedica-coffee-machine-review/

On the plus side, the espresso is decent to good, the profile is narrow and (relevant to the above conversation) you can programme the temperature amongst other things - one of three settings. I use the hottest setting - I don't like tepid coffee either.

On grinders, I have long used a Zassenhaus hand grinder - though as it happens, you can use ESE pods in the Dedica if you want (probably fairly true of many modern machines).

Regards, Newroad

PS Luckily, I had my stove-top espresso maker to tide me over whilst I waited :)

Return to “Food”