Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Rack of Lamb

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
Steveam
Lemon Slice

Rack of Lamb

Postby Steveam » April 25th, 2024, 12:38 pm

Any suggestions please plus cooking ideas (don’t cook too long) etc.
Any thoughts on accompaniments?
Easy dinner party for three people.
We’ll be starting with smoked mackerel pate with pita and salad and finishing with good cheeses.

Best wishes, Steve

James
Lemon Slice

Re: Rack of Lamb

Postby James » April 25th, 2024, 12:50 pm

First, catch your lamb...

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » April 25th, 2024, 4:36 pm

Wanna make it a party of five :D

Mint and baby new potatoes
Roast veg butternut and carrots plus some steamed broccoli

I dont like cheese so can you make mine a cheesecake, chocolate or lemon :D

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » April 25th, 2024, 4:49 pm

Steveam wrote:Any suggestions please plus cooking ideas (don’t cook too long) etc.
We’ll be starting with smoked mackerel pate with pita and salad and finishing with good cheeses.

Best wishes, Steve

A few days ago on C4 Jamie Oliver's guest was Sabrina Gidda and she did air fryer massala spiced lamb chops with pilau rice. Looked really nice if you like that kind of food and could easily be adapted for non air fryer.

I haven't tried it because the markets are having a wobble so I can't afford lamb chops. Beans on toast for me till things turn round :lol:

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » April 25th, 2024, 6:12 pm

Dicky99 wrote:
Steveam wrote:Any suggestions please plus cooking ideas (don’t cook too long) etc.

Best wishes, Steve

A few days ago on C4 Jamie Oliver's guest was Sabrina Gidda and she did air fryer massala spiced lamb chops with pilau rice. Looked really nice if you like that kind of food and could easily be adapted for non air fryer.

I haven't tried it because the markets are having a wobble so I can't afford lamb chops. Beans on toast for me till things turn round :lol:

Tesco do some nice lamb neck fillets. Peas, new potatoes and mint sauce makes a nice meal. My wife cooks them in a covered pot with some water. Very tasty.

TJH

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 25th, 2024, 7:51 pm

Agree with most of the above, except for the dislike of cheese ;)

If you fancy a faff get a Savoy cabbage or some Kale, part steam, then chuck in a hot wok with some sesame oil and garlic already softening and finish it off for 3-5 mins until starting to caramalise, also steamed broc, new spuds, and caramelised carrots.

Paul

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » April 25th, 2024, 8:17 pm

Remember that lamb has more delicate flavour than beef, so new potatoes etc are best - don't drown the taste with other strong or oily things.
For drinking add a good Pinot Noir: very good with lamb. For me, Cab. Sauv. and old Rioja can overpower good lamb.

Mutton - if you can get it - is different: less delicate. Works well with caper sauce.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 25th, 2024, 11:30 pm

stewamax wrote:Remember that lamb has more delicate flavour than beef, so new potatoes etc are best - don't drown the taste with other strong or oily things.
For drinking add a good Pinot Noir: very good with lamb. For me, Cab. Sauv. and old Rioja can overpower good lamb.

Mutton - if you can get it - is different: less delicate. Works well with caper sauce.

What's delicate mean in this context? In my head lamb is the strongest most distinctively favoured "typical" red meat
- particularly if you can render the fat without losing to keep the flavour (which I suppose is harder with a rack)

A rack I'll generally cook it in the Weber Q over an indirect medium heat
last time i served it with a small couscous (with herbs and peppers), "two ingredient" flat bread and a home made tatziki style dressing (yogurt, mint, garlic lemon)

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » April 26th, 2024, 3:37 pm

Late to the party, but : choose a pan that can go in the oven at 160. Score the fat and leave the rack fat side down in the pan for ten minutes over a low/medium heat to render the fat. Pour off the excess fat as it releases. Then flip the rack fat side up, and shove it in the oven for 12-15 minutes. After a 5 minute rest you should have nice pink lamb. Internal temp of 50 to come out of the oven if that's your thing.

For god's sake, not commercial mint jelly. Redcurrant jelly ideally.

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » April 27th, 2024, 8:46 pm

genou wrote:Late to the party, but : choose a pan that can go in the oven at 160. Score the fat and leave the rack fat side down in the pan for ten minutes over a low/medium heat to render the fat. Pour off the excess fat as it releases. Then flip the rack fat side up, and shove it in the oven for 12-15 minutes. After a 5 minute rest you should have nice pink lamb. Internal temp of 50 to come out of the oven if that's your thing.

For god's sake, not commercial mint jelly. Redcurrant jelly ideally.

That is exactly how I cook a rack of lamb.
Serve it with gratin dauphinoise and minted buttered peas, Mint sauce goes well but I would deglaze the roasting pan with a light red wine, add some lamb stock, reduce it and thicken with butter. ("Monter au beurre" in French) just as you see the cooks on Master Chef doing it.

john

Return to “Food”