Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

Carrot recipes

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
Mike4
Lemon Half

Carrot recipes

Postby Mike4 » April 27th, 2024, 9:00 am

Carrots seem astoundingly cheap and plentiful at the moment (r maybe they always are and I've only just noticed).

But the thing is I love carrots, they are a cheap and plentiful food but never know what to do with them other than put them in stew or roast a few with Sunday lunch.

So my question is, does anyone have any delicious recipes for which carrots are the main or primary constituent please? (Rather than them being something you add to a recipe for something else such as a stew or a cake.)

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: Carrot recipes

Postby kempiejon » April 27th, 2024, 9:35 am

Coleslaw?
I used to have a juicer and carrot and apple juice was popular.
I used to have a deep fat fryer and veggie pakoras were a regular snack. Grate your carrots, put the salted shreddgins in a colander to drip, dump into a tea towel to squeeze some wet out. Mix with a beaten egg, chick pea flour and some spices for a sticking batter. Deep fry about a tablespoons worth. You can do fritters in a fry pan.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » April 27th, 2024, 10:04 am

One of my favourite salads, from sojourns in Bulgaria, shredded cabbage and carrots, with a sort of vinaigrette dressing (though it’s not vinaigrette as the french do it - tastes quite different) https://gotvacha.com/recipe-items/salat ... i-morkovi/
Very simple, but delicious.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » April 27th, 2024, 10:04 am

Crécy plate pie.

I use the recipe from my old Cranks recipe book, but a quick web search found this.
https://www.blipfoto.com/entry/2304350399202593095

Note that the fact that it contains Marmite may be an issue. It doesn't taste strongly of the stuff, especially if you reduce the amount to 1/2 tsp, but you then have a jar to use up.

I've not tried, and not Vegi, but you could try replacing it with 1/2 a beef stock cube.

You could also try Potage Crécy (French carrot soup).

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » April 27th, 2024, 10:21 am

To add a bit extra to roasted carrots try with caraway seeds and maple syrup.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 27th, 2024, 10:59 am

kempiejon wrote:Coleslaw?
I used to have a juicer and carrot and apple juice was popular.

Not just carrot-and-apple.

If you have a juicer, carrot is second only to apple as the ingredient you can blend with pretty-much anything to make a delicious drink. Just drink it!

Another option is soup. Carrot-and-coriander seems ubiquitous, and it can blend with other root veg and rich spices for a winter brew, or perhaps with beans and herbs for the coming season.

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » April 27th, 2024, 9:00 pm

Mike4 wrote:Carrots seem astoundingly cheap and plentiful at the moment (r maybe they always are and I've only just noticed).

But the thing is I love carrots, they are a cheap and plentiful food but never know what to do with them other than put them in stew or roast a few with Sunday lunch.

So my question is, does anyone have any delicious recipes for which carrots are the main or primary constituent please? (Rather than them being something you add to a recipe for something else such as a stew or a cake.)

Not a recipe but if I have excess carrots I like to shred them into a big bowl of fine strands and eat as an appetiser with nothing other than caesar salad dressing. More delicious than the sum of the parts :)

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 28th, 2024, 2:51 am

Dicky99 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:Carrots seem astoundingly cheap and plentiful at the moment (r maybe they always are and I've only just noticed).

Not a recipe but if I have excess carrots I like to shred them into a big bowl of fine strands and eat as an appetiser with nothing other than caesar salad dressing. More delicious than the sum of the parts :)

Thanks, I'll definitely try this!

And off at a tangent I LOVE finding recipes that are, as you say, "more delicious than the sum of the parts". A subject for a whole new thread I reckon!

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » April 28th, 2024, 5:16 pm

Cut into thin slices (vertically, not rounds) and stir fry in sesame seed oil with garlic, ginger, chilli and a splash of soy/sukiyaki/teriyaki.

Or, cut into thin slices or pencil thick sticks and saute in olive oil with garlic and sprinkle with herbes de Provence.

Or, cut into thin slices with red onions (or eschalots) and parsnips similarly sliced, pour the lot into a pan of hot olive oil, just enough to coat the pan, and straight away stick on a lid and turn it down to a low heat and caramelise it all for around 30 minutes. This ends up very sweet, which you may like as is or may like the contrast if you sprinkle some vinegar over it and stir before turning it out of the pan.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » April 28th, 2024, 6:10 pm

Not exactly a meal, but how about carrot jam?

Apparently Mrs Beaton had a recipe.
http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/carrotjam.htm

However a web search will find a more modern translation, rather than original wording.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » April 28th, 2024, 7:25 pm

I forgot I have a spiraliser in the top cupboard. It was in heavy rotation a while back and favourite veg were courgette, carrot, potato, in that oder s anything you'd do with pasta you can sort of do with spiralised carrots.
Or these suggestions.
https://www.google.com/search?q=spirali ... e&ie=UTF-8

If you do not have a spiraliser I wouldn't recommend buying one special, much like the sandwich toaster, doughnut maker and fondue a short novelty could be all it's god for. Salad season does make pretty radishes. And for a low-carb diet courgetti is valuable.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 29th, 2024, 1:47 am

kempiejon wrote:I forgot I have a spiraliser in the top cupboard. It was in heavy rotation a while back and favourite veg were courgette, carrot, potato, in that oder s anything you'd do with pasta you can sort of do with spiralised carrots.
Or these suggestions.

If you do not have a spiraliser I wouldn't recommend buying one special, much like the sandwich toaster, doughnut maker and fondue a short novelty could be all it's god for. Salad season does make pretty radishes. And for a low-carb diet courgetti is valuable.

...you can get a big pencil sharpner for carrots.
which gives you nice shavings for salads and lighter curries
and a sharp pointy end to crunch on when you're done

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 29th, 2024, 8:32 am

servodude wrote:
kempiejon wrote:I forgot I have a spiraliser in the top cupboard. It was in heavy rotation a while back and favourite veg were courgette, carrot, potato, in that oder s anything you'd do with pasta you can sort of do with spiralised carrots.
Or these suggestions.

Why a dedicated tool?

That tool you use to grate cheese has finer grids on its other sides. Serves for veg, including carrots.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 29th, 2024, 9:37 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
servodude wrote:

Why a dedicated tool?

That tool you use to grate cheese has finer grids on its other sides. Serves for veg, including carrots.

... because it's a big pencil sharpener for carrots!

https://www.kitchenwarehouse.com.au/product/avanti-carrot-spiretti

Yeah I could use my box grater or mandolin (which I do a lot with carrots)
- but this actually gives really pleasant and interesting shavings, as well as being a big pencil sharpener :D

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 30th, 2024, 9:47 am

Carrot cake?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 30th, 2024, 9:48 am

Also beware of over indulging unless you want to end up looking like Trump. :D

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 30th, 2024, 12:55 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Also beware of over indulging unless you want to end up looking like Trump. :D

That's not carrot, that's turmeric!

(which, to be fair, is rather good for spicing up root veg if one is looking to emphasise the earthiness).

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » April 30th, 2024, 1:48 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Also beware of over indulging unless you want to end up looking like Trump. :D

The now ex wife of a chum of mine went a funny colour after overdoing vitamin supplements, I think it must have been Vitamin A.
Consuming high amounts of provitamin A, like beta carotene, doesn't carry the same risks as getting too much preformed vitamin A, but it can turn your skin yellow or orange. This isn't serious, and your skin will return to its typical color once you lower your beta carotene intake.
https://www.healthline.com/health/vitamin-a-for-skin

I seem to remember an episode of the District Nurse, or perhaps Heartbeat where the poor farming family had no money for food and had been eating nothing but their carrot crop and gone orange.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 30th, 2024, 3:21 pm

For a simple dessert, serve with 2 large scoops of vanilla Ice Cream.

I called it "Olaf's Surprise". My niece was not amused, although her kids thought it was hilarious.

Return to “Food”