Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Pork ribs

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Pork ribs

Postby johnstevens77 » February 9th, 2018, 10:32 pm

It's gone quiet over here, so I though to tell you about my very first attempt at cooking a rack of spare ribs of pork that I got RFQS. Firstly I did not want to go and buy anything, all ingredients had to be available in house. So this is what I did.
I washed the ribs and cut the rack into four, then I blanched them in salted water, i.e.put them into cold water, brought them to the boil and refreshed them. I put them into an old battered aluminium roasting pan with a sliced onion and a large, crushed clove of unpeeled garlic, 4 cloves, a piece of cassia bark, a bayleaf, some detritus from the star anis jar, a few black peppercorns and a few whole lightly crushed allspice berries, a pinch of salt over the ribs and some cold water. I tightly covered the pan with heavy duty foil and placed it into the oven, preheated to 180C and then reduced to 140C for 3 hours. Meantime I made a "glaze" of tomato ketchup, HP sauce, soya sauce, Lea and Perrins and pomegranate mollases. After the 3 hours I strained off the cooking liquid, reduced it and thickened it up a bit with cornflour. I turned the oven to about 220C and brushed the glaze all over the cooked ribs then put them back in the oven until nicely caramelised. The were superb served with the sauce and some of the fluffiest crunchiest roast potatoes that you could wish for and just plain boiled brussels sprouts.

john

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Pork ribs

Postby redsturgeon » February 10th, 2018, 8:37 am

That sounds delicious!

That's a well stocked store cupboard you have there. I like to keep a well stocked too.

Yesterday I was going to make a chicken curry for my my son and me. He likes it mild so I was going to make a basic chicken curry and then spice up mine with a few fresh birds eye chillis (actually frozen by me a few months ago).

However, I then discovered it was National Pizza Day! OK a blatant marketing invention but it reminded me that I'd not made pizza for a while.

I made a basic dough with strong bread flour, salt, sugar, yeast and olive oil and made a tomato sauce by reducing some passata until thick and tasty. I added some mozzarella, a few anchovies and olive and cooked then in my stove top pizza oven*...yum! All ingredients were in the store cupboard except the mozzarella.

I then Had the problem that the chicken needed cooking (use by date yesterday) so decided to make myself a vindaloo following a recipe I had seen on the Guardian website:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... loo-recipe

I had all ingredients already and the result from initial tastings is very good, I shall eat it tonight with some homemade naan.

John

* I use this device
https://www.chadwickoven.com/

voelkels

Postby voelkels » February 10th, 2018, 11:44 am

FWIW, I used to cook pork ribs fairly often until I lost (axe-u-lee I didn’t lose them, I know the dentist who pulled them) my top teeth. I’d cook them in my 28-year old water smoker (I gots 4 different smokers, me) “low & slow”. I usually only buy what is called “baby back ribs” on this side of the pond as they are more tender than the regular large ribs. I usually just remove the tough membrane on the concave side of the slab, cut it into two halves and rub all sides of the ribs with my BBQ rub (mostly salt with some sugar, garlic & onion powder, red & black pepper, etc.) The ribs are then allowed to rest in the fridge overnight in a covered glass dish. The next day, I’ll take them out of the fridge and allow them to warm up to room temperature while I prepare the smoker. I’ll smoke them for 3 1/2 or 3 hours over a mixture of charcoal & apple or pecan wood. The smoker’s temperature will start out around 275 degrees F (135 C) and slowly decline to around 225 or 220 degrees F (about 107 C). At that point, I’ll bring them into the house, brush on “BBQ sauce”, wrap them in heavy-duty aluminum foil and return them to the smoker for another hour or so while I make a batch of my “Cajun” cornbread. ;-)

The usual method for the large ribs around here is the 3 2 1 method, 3 hours “naked” in the smoker, 2 hours brushed with sauce and wrapped in foil and 1 hour on a grill being brushed with the liquid from the foil to “set” the glaze. IF I were to do them in an oven, I would simmer them in boiling water just enough to loosen that tough membrane (it is a pain to remove even on the baby back ribs), cool & remove the membrane and apply the rub. The next day, I’d cook the ribs “naked” in a slow oven around 122 degrees C for 3 hours with a pan of water on the lowest rack of the oven for high humidity. I would then brush on a sauce, wrap the ribs with foil and return them for to the oven for another two hours or so to steam and finish them in a hot oven brushing with the cooking liquid and more “sauce”. That is similar to what my SIL does, him.
;-)

C.J.V. - but prefers doing them in the smoker, me

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » February 11th, 2018, 3:35 pm

Totally OT but John being the real deal professional...I just cooked something magical I've never cooked before.

I pan-fried two lightly dusted plaice fillets in butter oil mix. In a smalled pan I had butter slighly browning, then some fork-smashed capers, then lemon juice, pepper, salt. Off the heat and cold butter in, tarragon in, kept it moving, didn't split, what a sauce! Simple and delicious. Had some carrot green bean rice mix as a side dish.

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » February 11th, 2018, 8:45 pm

[quote="redsturgeon"]

"I then Had the problem that the chicken needed cooking (use by date yesterday) so decided to make myself a vindaloo following a recipe I had seen on the Guardian website:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... loo-recipe

I had all ingredients already and the result from initial tastings is very good, I shall eat it tonight with some homemade naan.

John"

That sounds OK John, it's been awhile since I cooked vindaloo, will give that recipe a go, I too have everything I need except for the tamarind pulp so will use tamarind paste instead. As to your comment about freezing chillies, I do that too, one of my freezer staples along with lemon grass, also lime and curry leaves when I can find them. I also keep frozen cubes of ginger and garlic paste, a trick I learnt from my Indian cooks in Saudi. Only thing that is totaly unavailable in East Devon is galangal and I used the last of my 3 years old frozen stock last week for a super yellow chicken curry. (Same recipe as I took to France for a family reunion a few years ago, they loved it).

Ginger garlic paste:
Put equal amounts of peeled ginger and garlic in a blender with some vegetable oil and blend to a paste. I made a up batch yesterday, 150grs ginger and 150grs garlic made about half a blender jug. Put into ice cube trays that I keep for savoury items then in an airtight box in the freezer.

As to tamarind pulp, never seen that around here either but it was a staple In Saudi and Bahrain, just break some up and soak a few minutes in water, strain and use as needed. Gives a nice mellow acidic taste.

Pomegranate mollasses is used a lot in Middle Eastern cooking, I mainly use it in tomato sauce to balance the acidity of the tomatoes but it is also used with za'atar on Lebanese flat breads (a bit like a pizza) and also with minced lamb and tomato topping, also on flat breads.

john

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » February 11th, 2018, 8:51 pm

JMN2 wrote:Totally OT but John being the real deal professional...I just cooked something magical I've never cooked before.

I pan-fried two lightly dusted plaice fillets in butter oil mix. In a smalled pan I had butter slighly browning, then some fork-smashed capers, then lemon juice, pepper, salt. Off the heat and cold butter in, tarragon in, kept it moving, didn't split, what a sauce! Simple and delicious. Had some carrot green bean rice mix as a side dish.

Yes, a very nice way to make a simple yet delicious sauce, similar to a "beurre blanc". If using stock or cooking liquid, just remember to reduce it well before adding the butter, what we call, monter au beurre, and don't let it boil or it WILL split.

john

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 11th, 2018, 8:53 pm

johnstevens77 wrote:
As to tamarind pulp, never seen that around here either but it was a staple In Saudi and Bahrain, just break some up and soak a few minutes in water, strain and use as needed. Gives a nice mellow acidic taste.

john

Aha, I didn't even notice that it was tamarind pulp and not paste that was recommended !

It was fine with the paste though :)

John

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » February 12th, 2018, 10:37 am

I should have mentioned to strain the soaked tamarind and use the liquid, just in case!

john

Return to “Food”