Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Toaster recommendation

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Re: Toaster recommendation

Postby DiamondEcho » March 19th, 2018, 7:03 am

Speaking of which I have the Dualit toaster that I bought for my first home back in 1992. Temporarily not in use as we're in furnished accommodation for the time being, but it'll be pressed back into service when we move back into out own place in July.
The only downside that has occurred over time is that compared to the modern day version it has relatively narrow slots. I think that is because today we take it as a given that we're going to be toasting bread/s that are waaay thicker than even a generous slice of bread; bagels, muffins, ciabatta, etc. If you buy one today the slots are notably wider. I did look in to whether you can somehow upgrade the original narrow-slot version into the current wide-slot version but you can't the 'chassis' is different.
I remember when I first unpacked it, 'this glistening beautiful beast of a machine'. I plugged it in, had no bread but wanted to hear it work. I turned the knob ... tick-tock, tick-tock.... ah sublime... !!!THUNK!!! I wasn't expecting that, I honestly thought I'd blown it up before even getting a slice of toast from it, a wrenching feeling. But it turned out that noise was normal, it was how it switched off.

- I think this toaster stands besides my Miele vacuum cleaner in the ranks of 'cost a LOT to buy, but just keep on going on and on'. Both are now c26 years old.

Devjon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Devjon » March 19th, 2018, 12:00 pm

I remember when I first unpacked it, 'this glistening beautiful beast of a machine'. I plugged it in, had no bread but wanted to hear it work. I turned the knob ... tick-tock, tick-tock.... ah sublime... !!!THUNK!!! I wasn't expecting that, I honestly thought I'd blown it up before even getting a slice of toast from it, a wrenching feeling. But it turned out that noise was normal, it was how it switched off.

I had thought that the sudden "thunk" as it switches off was a quirk of my particular toaster, the timer dial progresses pretty regularly until that final sprint to the finish.

The penny has just dropped that as the timer is mechanically disconnecting the power from the heating elements then the faster that happens the better, otherwise the contacts might arc as they break and eventually weld together.

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » March 20th, 2018, 6:02 pm

We used Dualit toasters in many of the locations where I worked, as has been said, they can be repaired by anyone with just a modicum of common sense. (I suggested that we buy a Dualit but was over ruled by the Boss!)

hohn

Return to “Food”