Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

do you use a electric smoker

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
Falkener

do you use a electric smoker

Postby Falkener » April 10th, 2018, 8:12 am

Hi guys, now when is sun is back I thinking to buy new electric smoker for the backyard. So I need some advice: Do you really use it often? Which one do you have? What do I need to look for one buying a new one? Used or new? I want to hear your experience

Moderator Message:
RS: I think this is more suited to the food board. I will move it but leave a shadow here.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: do you use a electric smoker

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 10th, 2018, 10:35 am

I hope you don't have neighbours. Or if you do, they're so antisocial themselves as to deserve it.

Or is an electric smoker a euphemism for something that doesn't actually smoke?

TonyB

Postby TonyB » April 10th, 2018, 10:58 am

HI, I've had a Bradley electric smoker for about 4 or 5 years but haven't used it in the last couple of years. I found it easy to use and was reliable although I did have to replace the heating element once (pretty easy) and it gave pretty good results. The wood pucks can be expensive but you can often find them on offer on-line somewhere, although the general recommendation is that the smoke bit is only effective in the first couple or so hours.

The quality of the machine was good, with separate heating and smoking circuits which helps with control. I think I adapted mine to improve the temp control.

The main disadvantage with electric smokers is that you need to smoke undercover. I originally had it in the garage with a make shift extractor arrangement using an old computer fan and flexible piping wedged in an open window!

As to how often I used it, not as often as I thought. The main problem with proper bbq smoking is it tends to be larger pieces of beef/pork and needs planning ahead, not many people have a 5/6lb shoulder of pork or brisket in the fridge on a regular basis. Also it takes a lot of time to smoke a big piece of meat using just a smoker/bbq.

If you are new to bbq/smoking then you can get good results with a simple Weber and using something like a Slow 'N' Sear, if you find yourself doing a lot of bbq/smoking then you might be better off with a pellet smoker which is what I now use.

I also tend to SVQue (sous vide then smoke) which I think is a great combination cook method!

TonyB

TonyB

Postby TonyB » April 10th, 2018, 11:06 am

The aim with smoking/bbq is not to produce lots of billowing smoke but generally light wisps of smoke. You still wouldn't want to do it immediately next to a neighbour's washing but my experience is that a smoker produces less smoke than the average sausage/burger griller I come across :D

TonyB

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 10th, 2018, 11:43 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Or is an electric smoker a euphemism for something that doesn't actually smoke?

Cue an ancient joke from my student days:

"Do you smoke in bed?"
"How would I know? I've never looked." :D

BJ

RececaDron
2 Lemon pips

Postby RececaDron » April 10th, 2018, 11:49 am

bungeejumper wrote:Cue an ancient joke from my student days:

More to the point, cue the OP beginning to post electric smoker commercial links in 5, 4, 3, ...

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 10th, 2018, 12:14 pm

TonyB wrote:The aim with smoking/bbq is not to produce lots of billowing smoke but generally light wisps of smoke. You still wouldn't want to do it immediately next to a neighbour's washing but my experience is that a smoker produces less smoke than the average sausage/burger griller I come across :D

TonyB

Those things really should be banned. They can blight not just homes, but a whole beach, to the extent that the main road full of diesel and other such fumes was a blessed relief by comparison.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 10th, 2018, 1:23 pm

RececaDron wrote:

More to the point, cue the OP beginning to post electric smoker commercial links in 5, 4, 3, ...

I'm watching it!

He hasn't done anything wrong...yet.

John

Lindaawilsoon

Postby Lindaawilsoon » May 10th, 2018, 1:06 pm

RececaDron wrote:

Hahaha, Yes You right here

Return to “Food”