Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Cajun versus Creole style Jambalaya

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Cajun versus Creole style Jambalaya

Postby JMN2 » April 12th, 2018, 9:43 am

Cajun = hicks in the sticks
Creole = city people, added tomato product

In a pot fry chicken pieces and sausage meat, etc, brown well. Add chopped onion, green pepper, celery (maripois). Garlic. Spice**** mix. Chopped parsley. After a while chicken stock, long grain rice. Cook until liquid vaporised and rice ready.

**** equal amounts of salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika powder.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Cajun versus Creole style Jambalaya

Postby redsturgeon » April 12th, 2018, 12:17 pm

JMN2 wrote:Cajun = hicks in the sticks
Creole = city people, added tomato product

In a pot fry chicken pieces and sausage meat, etc, brown well. Add chopped onion, green pepper, celery (maripois). Garlic. Spice**** mix. Chopped parsley. After a while chicken stock, long grain rice. Cook until liquid vaporised and rice ready.

**** equal amounts of salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika powder.

I suspect a certain US correspondent may have views on this... :)

John

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » April 13th, 2018, 5:30 pm

JMN2 wrote:celery (maripois).

Maybe they do spell it that way 'down there 'n'all'. But I imagine it refers to a mirepoix, the basis for a core flavour palette in western cuisines, esp stock, stews, gravies etc. FWIW Chopping/prepping a proper mirepoix was a day-1 core skill I had to learn at cookery school, right after the compulsory 1/2-day 'Knife skills' course.

Wiki: Mirepoix
A mirepoix (/mɪərˈpwɑː/ meer-PWAH; French pronunciation: ​[miʁˈpwa]) is diced vegetables, cooked for a long time on a gentle heat without colour or browning, usually with butter or other fat or oil. It is not sautéed or otherwise hard cooked, the intention being to sweeten rather than caramelise. Further cooking, often with the addition of tomato purée, creates a darkened brown mixture called pincage. Where the flavour base is not pre-cooked the constituent vegetables may be cut to a larger size depending on the overall cooking time for the dish. Usually a mixture of onions, carrots, and celery (either common pascal celery or celeriac), the traditional ratio is two parts onions, one part carrots, and one part celery.[1] Mirepoix is the flavor base for a wide variety of Western dishes, such as stocks, soups, stews, and sauces.

... I rue (or more on-topic roux hehe) not being able to buy celery by the stick or two, as I hate the stuff with a passion, but a good mirepoix based stock is such a versatile starting point.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » May 25th, 2018, 9:21 pm

Made Jambalaya again today, a nice easy dish.Polish sausage, pork sausage meat, chicken. Tested my new enamel cast iron dutch oven, worked the same way and very similarly as the French Le Creuset my ex now has. Instead of paying a price of a 1961 Ferrari I only paid £35 this time at Sainsburys.

Return to “Food”