Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Lime Cheesecake (key lime pie??)

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
Ibbledibble

Lime Cheesecake (key lime pie??)

Postby Ibbledibble » April 25th, 2018, 2:58 am

Hello Foodie Fools,
Many years ago, I found an amazing recipe on The Motley Fool message boards, It was made with a biscuit and butter base, and a topping made from just cream, condensed milk and lime juice (I used to use lemon instead). Unfortunately I have lost the recipe and can't remember the quantities needed (except that it was one tin of condensed milk)

Hoping that someboby on here saved the recipe, as when I went searching for it, I discovered that TMF forums were gone!

Thank you.

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Lime Cheesecake (key lime pie??)

Postby swill453 » April 25th, 2018, 6:03 am

Yes I vaguely remember that. I found a recipe on the US boards at http://boards.fool.com/okay-folks-ill-a ... 44023.aspx which looks similar and might be a starting point. It uses something called "Cool Whip" rather than cream but I'm sure you could adapt.

Scott.

MistyMeena

Postby MistyMeena » April 25th, 2018, 9:22 pm

For a lemon version, mix 400g condensed milk with 300ml double cream (don't whip the cream, just stir the two together) and add the zest of three lemons and 150ml of lemon juice. Stir and it thickens and can be poured into a tin lined with a biscuit crumb and butter base, chill and serve. I've used this in tins 20-23cm diameter. Should be simple to substitute limes.

MM

Ibbledibble

Postby Ibbledibble » April 26th, 2018, 5:26 am

Thank you very much,
Now that I see it, I remember that the cream was 300ml because it was one can of condensed milk, one small carton of cream and 3 lemons I used to use, but until you said it, it was eluding me.

Thanks again, and if anyone hasn't tried it, I highly recommend it, just make sure you give enough chilling time so it can thicken properly
It's fantastic, especially as it's so easy.

voelkels

Postby voelkels » April 26th, 2018, 3:56 pm

Back in 2002, Tracy (“BlackMare”) posted her recipe for Key Lime Pie on one of the U.S. Fool’s boards. In 2014, someone on the U.K. Fool’s Recipe board asked about it and I reposted her recipe on that board. Her recipe was;

Mare's Key Lime Pie

Four large eggs
One pie crust (homemade or frozen, no matter)
One can of Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/2 cup key lime juice
(four or five limes...if you have a little more than a half cuppa juice, go ahead and use it all, it will only taste that much better!)
Sugar
Cream of tartar (optional)
-----------------
You'll need to bake the pie crust first. Usually about ten minutes at 350 degrees, but all ovens are different, watch your back!

Crack the eggs and put the whites in a large bowl and the yolks in a medium-size one. Set the whites aside in the fridge.

Whisk the yolks to lighten 'em up, then mix in the whole can of condensed milk.

Gradually pour in the lime juice, whisk it all together well, and pour it into the crust.

Take the egg whites outta the fridge and get out the blender. Blend the whites at the "high" setting, adding about five or six teaspoonfuls of sugar and (if you have it) a pinch of cream of tartar. Taste the stuff as you add sugar: it should be only very lightly sweetened. When the whites get all fluffy like whipped cream, and will form little peaks, you have acheived meringue. Pile this on toppa the pie. It looks best if ya make little peaks out of it, but that's optional. :-)

Place the pie in the oven, at about 350 degrees again. Let it sit til the top of the meringue turns from white to yummy golden tan...somewhere between 5-10 minutes. Best thing is to watch it closely.

Take it out and put it in the fridge for at least an hour, to thoroughly cool and "set."

Enjoy! (best with a cuppa really GOOD coffee. Trust me).

And if you are expecting a visit from Lizard...make two pies. Please. !!!!

For your information.

Ibbledibble

Postby Ibbledibble » April 26th, 2018, 4:04 pm

Thanks for that voelkels, The recipe I was looking for was the uncooked one given above, but this sounds like a much more authentic Key Lime Pie, and I'm sure worth a try at some point as an alternative. I'm a sucker for creamy deserts of all kinds, so never a bad thing to have more recipes!

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » April 26th, 2018, 10:24 pm

voelkels wrote:Back in 2002, Tracy (“BlackMare”) posted her recipe for Key Lime Pie on one of the U.S. Fool’s boards. In 2014, someone on the U.K. Fool’s Recipe board asked about it and I reposted her recipe on that board. Her recipe was;

Mare's Key Lime Pie

Four large eggs
One pie crust (homemade or frozen, no matter)
One can of Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/2 cup key lime juice
(four or five limes...if you have a little more than a half cuppa juice, go ahead and use it all, it will only taste that much better!)
Sugar
Cream of tartar (optional)
-----------------
You'll need to bake the pie crust first. Usually about ten minutes at 350 degrees, but all ovens are different, watch your back!

Crack the eggs and put the whites in a large bowl and the yolks in a medium-size one. Set the whites aside in the fridge.

Whisk the yolks to lighten 'em up, then mix in the whole can of condensed milk.

Gradually pour in the lime juice, whisk it all together well, and pour it into the crust.

Take the egg whites outta the fridge and get out the blender. Blend the whites at the "high" setting, adding about five or six teaspoonfuls of sugar and (if you have it) a pinch of cream of tartar. Taste the stuff as you add sugar: it should be only very lightly sweetened. When the whites get all fluffy like whipped cream, and will form little peaks, you have acheived meringue. Pile this on toppa the pie. It looks best if ya make little peaks out of it, but that's optional. :-)

Hi CJV
Just to be clear, you do mean a blender/liquidiser and not the whisking attachent on a mixer? Only asking 'cause I have never made meringue in a blender.

john

voelkels

Postby voelkels » April 28th, 2018, 2:00 pm

John, this was Tracy’s recipe as written. She was a south Florida girl who went to a get together in Tennessee with a number of Fools from the U.S. Fool’s BBQ Board in 2000 or 2001. She took along a bottle of key lime juice and made 3 or 2 key lime pies from it. A number of folks asked her for the recipe so she typed it out and it was posted on that board and later on the Smoking Lizard’s blog. I assume that she used a blender instead of an egg beater or mixer because that was all she had to work with at the house/camp they were at in the hills of Tennessee.
;-)

C.J.V.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » May 6th, 2018, 3:22 pm

My ex used to make this biscuit and butter base cheese cake with cherry jam. Digestive biscuits. 105kg => 89kg since mid Jan so I can only dream...and read these posts.

Return to “Food”