Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

I never was that much into moules

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
Slarti
Lemon Quarter

I never was that much into moules

Postby Slarti » June 8th, 2018, 4:24 pm

88V8
Lemon Half

Re: I never was that much into moules

Postby 88V8 » June 16th, 2018, 8:26 pm

Recent item in The Times lamenting how even after Attenborough, people still leave rubbish all over the place. And it's not just mussels, many fish now have an inadvertent plastic diet.

What we need is a major reduction in the less intelligent end of the human population.

V8

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 17th, 2018, 8:31 am

88V8 wrote:Recent item in The Times lamenting how even after Attenborough, people still leave rubbish all over the place. And it's not just mussels, many fish now have an inadvertent plastic diet.

What we need is a major reduction in the less intelligent end of the human population.

V8

Can you show the evidence for the inverse relationship between intelligence and plastic pollution?

John

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » June 17th, 2018, 11:38 am

I wonder about fine sand, fine particles of sand or silica a product of disintegrated rocks and shells with much of it being inert to human digestive systems as is much plastic.

In observations of beach cleanups the vast majority of detritus seems to be discarded fishing gear. I dont know of anywhere in Britain where plastic waste is chucked into the sea?

I believe that most of this waste comes from ships which illegally discharge waste into the sea and couldnt care less fishermen. How on earth does one detect and regulate this?

It seems that common sense and practicality desert politicians and the public on this subject and as a result we get daft laws that totally miss the mark.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » June 17th, 2018, 11:42 am

88V8 wrote:Recent item in The Times lamenting how even after Attenborough, people still leave rubbish all over the place. And it's not just mussels, many fish now have an inadvertent plastic diet.

V8

Unfortunately, unless we ensure that we have nothing but natural materials, every time anything is washed, plastic microfibres are washed away and these are what is getting into to food chain.

Those and "microbeads" from facial scrubs.

How many people do you know who have all natural fibres?

Slarti

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 18th, 2018, 10:28 am

Wife was horribly poisoned by a plate of moules from an up-market restaurant. (A long time before I met her - I don't favour those kinds of establishments.) She still says it was the only time in her life when she actively wished for the cool and soothing touch of death.

So more than 70% of British shellfish carry e.coli, and Heston Blumenthal has been closed down by norovirus in his oysters**. In theory it can't happen. Bwahahahahaaaaaaaaa.

BJ

(**Would I want to swallow a live animal anyway?)

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » June 18th, 2018, 12:13 pm

what's the point of moules frites when steak frites or carbonnade stew is available?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 18th, 2018, 2:15 pm

tea42 wrote:I believe that most of this waste comes from ships which illegally discharge waste into the sea and couldnt care less fishermen. How on earth does one detect and regulate this?

Satellites have been doing that for decades.

Twenty years ago I was just coming to the end of a project putting space-based science into schools throughout Europe. One of the core examples in our material was an oil slick, where a ship had illegally discharged a tank (rather than pay to do it legally where the waste would've been handled). In that case, the satellite had detected the slick, the coastguard investigated, and prosecuted the ship's captain and owners.

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » June 18th, 2018, 3:28 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
tea42 wrote:I believe that most of this waste comes from ships which illegally discharge waste into the sea and couldnt care less fishermen. How on earth does one detect and regulate this?

Satellites have been doing that for decades.

Twenty years ago I was just coming to the end of a project putting space-based science into schools throughout Europe. One of the core examples in our material was an oil slick, where a ship had illegally discharged a tank (rather than pay to do it legally where the waste would've been handled). In that case, the satellite had detected the slick, the coastguard investigated, and prosecuted the ship's captain and owners.

Could they really detect a guy throwing small quantities of waste overboard at night? And what if they are in International waters? A lot of beach dross seems to be torn nets, floats and bits of plastic rope.

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » June 18th, 2018, 3:46 pm

Shellfish poisoning seems to affect only certain people. We have been doing home made moules and frites for more than 30 years and have never been poisoned. We have suffered food poisoning three times eating out in France. Reheated Pork, off Mayonaise and bad fish obviously inadequately reheated.

Always put your moules in a bucket of slighty salted water for a few hours before cooking. Discard any that arent closed tightly. Discard any that dont open properly on cooking. Use plenty of wine in a closed saucepan and ensure its boiling furiously turning them so that all get an immersion and plenty of steaming. Heat and careful selection obviously does the trick.

We were once served absolutely stinking mussels in a Calais restaurant. I was so annoyed I walked out taking my plate to tbe bureau du tourisme opposite to show them what we had been served. Lots of people in the restaurant were holding their noses and some walked out. We did get a free meal and the cook and the waiter got the 'Manuel' treatment from tbe manager. France is no longer the land of stinking toilets and sullen waiters but their restaurant food is sometimes a nightmare. Plat du jour seems a safe choice though.

Return to “Food”