Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Vivera Veggie Burgers

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Re: Vivera Veggie Burgers

Postby UncleIan » July 5th, 2018, 2:52 pm

stewamax wrote:rum, b*m and - according to Churchill - the lash)

Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash. One of the stranger album titles of our times. The Pogues, for those wondering.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 6th, 2018, 8:37 am

Fabulous thread, this. From vegetarian burgers to ciggies and sodomy in 28 posts. Is this a record?

I didn't start smoking until I was 20 and studying in Berlin, where the peer pressure was all about smoking slightly more exotic substances than Number Six, and where it was considered actively rude to refuse. :roll: Given the choice between developing a slight cough and having no sex life at all, I opted for the former. It took me five years afterwards to kick the ciggies, and about zero seconds to drop the other stuff.

The Germans, of course, were nothing if not inventive in their ordinary cigarette offerings. There were chocolate flavoured ciggies, which tasted even worse than they sounded, and whisky flavoured ciggies which were actually somewhat better than they sounded. The French students, of course, would settle for nothing but a camel. Although which part of the camel was always in doubt. ;)

For the record, I am not such a committed carnivore as all that. We try to eat red meat no more than three times a week. And yes, I've tried bean n' nut cutlet burgers, which dry out far too fast to be usable on the barbecue. (Tortilla wraps or spicy veg samosas work better.) But would I really want my (ahem) lovely juicy gunk n' millet burgers to be swimming in "real-tasting" artificial blood? I really don't think so.

BJ

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » July 6th, 2018, 10:40 am

BungeeJumper wrote:
From vegetarian burgers to ciggies and sodomy in 28 posts. Is this a record?

Gracious - we've only just started. The next move is via Oscar Wilde to the Romantic Poets, and thence to John Keats' [Ode] To Autumn by 28th September, his Ode to a Nightingale, and from there* off this thread altogether to the Drink Sub-forum - unless someone shouts 'Morninginton Crescent' in the meantime.

* vide verse 2

James
Lemon Slice

Postby James » July 6th, 2018, 12:32 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
The Germans, of course, were nothing if not inventive in their ordinary cigarette offerings. There were chocolate flavoured ciggies, which tasted even worse than they sounded, and whisky flavoured ciggies which were actually somewhat better than they sounded. The French students, of course, would settle for nothing but a camel. Although which part of the camel was always in doubt. ;)

Ah, Camel... the only cigarettes to have the manufacturer's portrait on the packaging.
:?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 6th, 2018, 12:37 pm

Gracious - we've only just started. The next move is via Oscar Wilde to the Romantic Poets, and thence to John Keats' [Ode] To Autumn by 28th September, his Ode to a Nightingale, and from there* off this thread altogether to the Drink Sub-forum - unless someone shouts 'Morninginton Crescent' in the meantime.

You could get to Hitler quite easily*, and invoke Godwin's Law..

Thus
Fag
-Cigarette
-Slave at public school
-Offensive US term for homosexual - shortened from faggot
faggot
- US term as above
- delicious meat dish popular in the north
- bundle of sticks
bundle of sticks
- faggot
- in Italian, fascio meaning a bundle of rods, ultimately from the Latin word fasces
So, fascio, From which we get Fascist, and then to Hitler

thread closed I think

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » July 6th, 2018, 1:50 pm

IIRC Mr Hitler despised cigarette smoke and pity the poor soul who was caught smoking in Obersalzberg - the staff used to have secret smoking areas ---according to a well researched Gunther-book by Philip Kerr, Prussian Blue, my favourite of the series.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » July 6th, 2018, 2:02 pm

JMN2 wrote:IIRC Mr Hitler despised cigarette smoke and pity the poor soul who was caught smoking in Obersalzberg - the staff used to have secret smoking areas ---according to a well researched Gunther-book by Philip Kerr, Prussian Blue, my favourite of the series.

Yes, strange really since he didn't object to a doctor whose body odour caused complaints nor the regular administration of amphetamines. Double standards I'd say.

RC

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » July 6th, 2018, 2:20 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
JMN2 wrote:IIRC Mr Hitler despised cigarette smoke and pity the poor soul who was caught smoking in Obersalzberg - the staff used to have secret smoking areas ---according to a well researched Gunther-book by Philip Kerr, Prussian Blue, my favourite of the series.

Yes, strange really since he didn't object to a doctor whose body odour caused complaints nor the regular administration of amphetamines. Double standards I'd say.

RC

Hah! according to Robert Harris' Munich book, Hitler had quite a body sweat smell himself too, the old onion/Greek waiter-one... :D

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 6th, 2018, 2:27 pm

Hitler followed a vegetarian diet.
I wonder if he'd have liked veggie burgers?

James
Lemon Slice

Postby James » July 6th, 2018, 5:47 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:

RC

Probably not the worst of his character flaws, all things considered.

Return to “Food”