Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Using lime i/o lemon

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Using lime i/o lemon

Postby DiamondEcho » September 30th, 2018, 12:40 pm

An interesting article by Danial Hannan today [Telegraph]. The light-hearted end-piece is extolling the virtues of using lime instead lemon in the food preparation. A short excerpt:
--------------------------------------------

'Lime can be profitably substituted for lemon in almost any culinary situation. Try it. Smoked salmon, breaded veal, elderflower cordial. You won’t look back. Are there exceptions? Yes, most obviously lemon curd and lemon meringue pie – simple, good-hearted dishes that require none of lime’s superior intelligence and subtlety. Lemon is also – surprisingly, perhaps, given its uncouth nature – better in hummus and tagine.
Ah, you say, but what about lemon drizzle cake [edit here, but he and his daughter cooked a lemon drizzle cake, and also another using lime]. In the blind tasting that followed, after a bit of “ooh, mmm, they’re both delicious,” the lime won by seven votes to one. Thank you, M’Lud, the prosecution rests.'
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/0 ... d-british/

That's a bit of food for thought :)

Pendrainllwyn
Lemon Slice

Re: Using lime i/o lemon

Postby Pendrainllwyn » September 30th, 2018, 12:45 pm

More importantly I generally prefer lime to lemon in cocktails!

Pendrainllwyn

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Using lime i/o lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 30th, 2018, 5:22 pm

I shall dissent: I find lime in many contexts too much in-your-face compared to lemon. Sure it has its place, but when I see lemon-and-lime on a menu, I'll take the plain lemon in preference. The lime might get a look in as preferred ingredient if (and only if) the context looks really interesting: for example, some of the things associated with Thai food.

Return to “Food”