Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Sprout Tops

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Sprout Tops

Postby midnightcatprowl » December 12th, 2018, 11:22 pm

Inspired by a thread on Beerpig's Snug about Christmas cake eaten with cheese, I've been thinking about regional or even more local food choices and wondering if anyone here loves sprout tops like I do?

To explain. I've always loathed Brussels Sprouts, even once I'd left home and learned how to cook them properly rather than boiling them to death as was done in my family of origin. Many decades on, though I love other greens like cabbage and broccoli and spinach, I just can't stand sprouts. Yet since coming to live in Bedfordshire I've become a lover of what seems to be the local delicacy of 'sprout tops'. This may be best described as the sort of frondy small cabbage looking set of leaves on the top of the stem from which the 'proper' Brussels Sprouts are picked. The cabbage type bit at the top includes the tiniest little Brussels Sprouts - they are really really small - as well as the leaves. In Bedfordshire these 'sprout tops' are sold as a separate thing from Brussels Sprouts though you mostly get them in independent greengrocers rather than in supermarkets, these days I get mine from a veggie box service which focuses on local produce.

I steam the green from the leaves and the teeny sprouts together and they are my favourite green for as long as the season lasts.

The trend today (presumably to save on the labour costs of picking the sprouts from the stem) there seems to be a growing tendency to sell Brussels Sprouts still on the stalk which, of course, has the 'top' still attached. I'm wondering if this is increasing the popularity of the 'sprout tops' or if, awful thought, consumers not trained in Bedfordshire ways simply discard that part???

Do you eat sprout tops?

Skotch
Lemon Pip

Re: Sprout Tops

Postby Skotch » December 13th, 2018, 9:17 am

I eat sprouts and sprout tops. Sprouts generally steamed and then finished off in a frying pan with lots of butter. Sprout tops generally shredded, tossed in a 'dressing' of olive oil (not EV) and a splash of white wine or sherry vinegar and then grilled until slightly charred - fab accompaniment to a whole variety of dishes. If there are any left over, especially after Xmas dinner, then they make a brilliant bubble to have with cold cuts.

Yum to the humble sprout!

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » December 13th, 2018, 5:30 pm

We eat any green veg. but haven't seen sprout tops for many years.

john

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » December 13th, 2018, 6:14 pm

i have struggled to grow them in recent years - they used to be excellent .

malakoffee
Lemon Pip

Postby malakoffee » December 13th, 2018, 6:48 pm

Sprout tops are my favourite. Only available in the little, local veg shop and the veg stall at the local market.

Sprouts themselves stay in much better condition, for longer, if bought and kept on the stalk.

Carrots too benefit from keeping the greenery on for as long as possible.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » December 25th, 2018, 11:45 am

When I grew up in Sheffield sprout tops were eaten as 'winter greens'. Very nice too even though they were always over cooked.

Winter greens from the supermarket now are something completely different. I like them but f I eat a lot often they upset my system.

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » December 25th, 2018, 7:20 pm

Winter greens from the supermarket now are something completely different. I like them but f I eat a lot often they upset my system.

Yes supermarket Winter Greens have no relationship to Sprout Tops. I used to get Sprout Tops from an independent greengrocer near my own shop in Luton. When I closed my business and no longer routinely travelled to Luton I found them very hard to get. Earlier this year I started getting veggie boxes from a fairly local supplier which includes as much local produce as they can find, so sprout tops are back on the menu.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 25th, 2018, 7:43 pm

Well even if some here haven't known about Sprout Tops until we've read this thread, at this point in the evening we've all surely become accustomed by now to the all-too-familiar Sprout Bottoms.....

Merry Christmas to one and all....

Cheers!

Itsallaguess

Return to “Food”