Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Blood Oranges

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
Eboli
Lemon Slice

Blood Oranges

Postby Eboli » March 4th, 2019, 5:55 pm

I love blood oranges but I haven't seen any this year. Is this my myopia or is there another reason?

Eb

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Blood Oranges

Postby XFool » March 5th, 2019, 8:56 pm

I never see them - not for decades. I've no idea where to look, either.

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » March 5th, 2019, 10:22 pm

Sainsbury, Waitrose, Lidle and Tesco around here. Sometimes called by different names. Getting late in the season now though.

john in East Devon

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » March 6th, 2019, 1:02 pm

Our farm shop has been selling them for a few weeks, but they feel like bullets so we haven't bought any.

Mind you, the Navels that they are selling are wonderful :D

Slarti

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 6th, 2019, 6:04 pm

Slarti wrote:Our farm shop has been selling them for a few weeks, but they feel like bullets so we haven't bought any.
Slarti

Your farm shop?

Are you in the med (or equivalent climate)? Or is "farm shop" just a teensy bit deceptive?

I'm not so enthusiastic about blood oranges so much as to seek them out, though I might well pick some up if I see them. I mainly encountered them when I lived in Italy, where they have a lot more than we do. Though even there they weren't local, but rather they were shipped from (mostly) Sicily. Oranges grow OK in central Italy, but not so well as to grow commercially.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » March 7th, 2019, 4:13 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Slarti wrote:Our farm shop has been selling them for a few weeks, but they feel like bullets so we haven't bought any.
Slarti

Your farm shop?

Are you in the med (or equivalent climate)? Or is "farm shop" just a teensy bit deceptive?

The farm shop is in a barn on a farm and mostly sells own grown stuff, or sourced from other local farms, but the do have a few imports from various distances like3 or 4 sorts of oranges, garlic and watercress.

Slarti

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » March 7th, 2019, 6:48 pm

Slarti wrote: Or is "farm shop" just a teensy bit deceptive?

[/quote]

"farm shop" as in shop on a farm. Usually selling greengrocer goods, fruit & veg and some grocery stuff. I think planning permission is a bit easier to get. They are open all the year round, so local produce is probably a minority of sales.

Depends on the outlet and the goods, but prices can be noticeably lower than the fruit & veg sections of nearby supermarkets.

Skotch
Lemon Pip

Postby Skotch » March 8th, 2019, 3:39 pm

Alaric wrote:
Slarti wrote: Or is "farm shop" just a teensy bit deceptive?

"farm shop" as in shop on a farm. Usually selling greengrocer goods, fruit & veg and some grocery stuff. I think planning permission is a bit easier to get. They are open all the year round, so local produce is probably a minority of sales.

Depends on the outlet and the goods, but prices can be noticeably lower than the fruit & veg sections of nearby supermarkets.[/quote]

Years ago when my Mother-in-Law lived in Charmouth, we would always pay a visit to this place to stock up on goodies and wine on our way back to Leicester - thoroughly recommended: https://www.millersfarmshop.co.uk/

Skotch

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » March 9th, 2019, 8:59 pm

[/quote]

Years ago when my Mother-in-Law lived in Charmouth, we would always pay a visit to this place to stock up on goodies and wine on our way back to Leicester - thoroughly recommended: https://www.millersfarmshop.co.uk/

Skotch[/quote]

I have recommended Millers Farm quite a few times on this board, they are about 45 mins drive from us. We visit when we eat lunch in River Cottage in Axminster. Last time was two weeks ago when we bought (amongst other items), Maille vinegars, large jars of Dijon mustard, Pinot de Charentes, confit de canard, a litre of walnut oil, some unpasturised cheeses, some dry cured smoked streaky and a selection of vegetables.
If you are looking for a French Supermarket in UK, this the place to go, he has a large selection of French groceries, wines and apperatifs. We also buy Sausage de Morteau when in stock
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morteau_sausage), and margret de canard.
Go in summer for his own farm produced salad items and local produce.

A visit would not disapoint.

john

Eboli
Lemon Slice

Postby Eboli » April 16th, 2019, 7:32 pm

Curiously....

Visited J Sainsbury to-day and...blood oranges available and b****y delicious.

Eb.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 19th, 2019, 7:33 pm

...Must take a look. Were they displayed as "Blood Oranges"?

Return to “Food”