Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Egg yolks

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
Loup321
Lemon Slice

Egg yolks

Postby Loup321 » June 20th, 2019, 2:20 pm

My daughter likes meringue and yogurt for breakfast (think Muller crunch corner Etom Mess or Lemon Meringue, which are only around some of the time). I've been making my own meringues, but would like some inspiration on what to do with the egg yolks. It's 3 yolks at a time, and the last 6 got thrown away, which is a waste.

Thanks for any ideas,

LouP

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: Egg yolks

Postby Slarti » June 20th, 2019, 4:39 pm

Add to other eggs for extra yellow omelets?

Soak bits of bread in them and then fry?

Mayonnaise?

Slarti

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » June 20th, 2019, 5:04 pm

Loup321 wrote:but would like some inspiration on what to do with the egg yolks. It's 3 yolks at a time, and the last 6 got thrown away, which is a waste.

Custard.
Bread & butter custard pudding type thing.
More custard.
Carbonara

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » June 20th, 2019, 5:24 pm

You can freeze them (ice cube tray in a bag will do it) for later use. Then use them to enrich chocolate puddings, ice cream, cakes, pancake mix, creme brulee, anything that uses an egg but doesn't require exact measures.

VRD

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » June 20th, 2019, 6:42 pm

mayonnaise home made is simple with a stick blender and once tried you will never eat shop bought again. :D

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » June 20th, 2019, 7:15 pm

There's only one thing to do with egg yolks - Embrace your inner Italian and make Zabaione (Zabaglione )
Eggs Yolks, Sugar, Marsala and maybe a touch of Cognac.

What's not to like ?

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/d ... ity-cloake

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » June 21st, 2019, 10:39 pm

As a liason for cream soups instead of roux or beurre manie, to enrichen the mornay topping on lasagne, as egg wash for pies, in the welsh rarebit mix. I made cauliflower mornay last week, I added an egg yolk and whipped cream to the sauce, a professional trick for a super golden glaze. (Actualy, in hotels, we used to use hollandaise), turns a regular white wine sauce into something magical if flashed under the grill/salamander. However, in our house, we make all our own ice cream, so we have the other problem of too many egg whites which we keep in the freezer. Although I make meringues at least once a month, I never seem to see the end of them and consomme is not often on the menu at home.

john

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Postby Loup321 » June 25th, 2019, 9:53 am

Thanks for the ideas. The ice cream one sounds interesting, John, but all the recipes I find online use whole eggs, separated, as does the one my mother gave me. Could you post the ice cream recipe you use, please? Or if you live on the Kent side of London, perhaps we could start an egg swap? :)

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » June 30th, 2019, 8:27 pm

Loup321 wrote:Thanks for the ideas. The ice cream one sounds interesting, John, but all the recipes I find online use whole eggs, separated, as does the one my mother gave me. Could you post the ice cream recipe you use, please? Or if you live on the Kent side of London, perhaps we could start an egg swap? :)

Strange, the only ice cream I make using whole eggs is salted caramel, a recipe I got from "Gourmet" magazine many years ago. The best vanilla ice cream recipe is from "icecreamscience.com", time consuming but once you have made it, you will never buy vanilla ice cream again. However, I made rhubarb crumble ice ceam and lavender ice cream during the last 3 weeks. The rhubarb crumble one can be found on Delia Smith's website but be warned, she does rather over complicate the instructions with her folksy way of writing. The lavender ice cream we only make when when our lavender is at it's peak which is just now. My recipe:

Lavender ice cream
Best eaten on it’s own, the flavour is delicate.
Pick the lavender as soon as the stems open for best flavour.
Ingredients
• 6 (8cm) stems lavender (48cm)
• 280ml full fat milk
• 4 large free range egg yolks
• 90g golden caster sugar
• 1/2 tablespoon glycerine
• 284ml double cream
• Drop vanilla
• 2 dessert spoons skimmed milk powder
Preparation method
1. Chop the lavender into 1cm pieces.

2. Place in a small pan together with the milk and heat until just below boiling point. Remove from hob and cool.

3. When cold put in the fridge and refrigerate overnight to allow the flavour to infuse.

4. Next day, warm the milk and lavender once more, ensuring the milk does not boil. Strain, add the cream and warm again.

5. Beat egg yolks, skimmed milk powder and sugar together, then pour the warmed milk and cream slowly in, stirring all the time.

6. Put the mixture into a clean, heavy-bottomed saucepan and stir over a low heat until it reaches 72°C, keep at this temperature, stirring all the time for 10 minutes. Strain.

7. Leave to cool. Stir in the glycerine and vanilla and refrigerate until very cold.

8. Process according to your machine’s instructions.

I have lots of ice cream recipes, too many to post here.

john

Return to “Food”