Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Frozen Food Danger?

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
feder1
Lemon Slice

Frozen Food Danger?

Postby feder1 » July 18th, 2020, 10:09 am

China is reporting that frozen shrimp packaging from Equador has corona virus on it. A while ago it talked about salmon from somewhere showing the same.

It seems that the virus lives for ages at low temperature and therefore any frozen food that we have in our freezers needs to be handled with considerable care and followed by hand washing.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Frozen Food Danger?

Postby ReformedCharacter » July 18th, 2020, 11:09 am

I have wondered about the broccoli, broad beans and runner beans apparently produced and sold to 'major supermarkets' by AS Green & Co in Herefordshire. No mention about a recall of the vegetables.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... e-outbreak

RC

voelkels

Postby voelkels » July 18th, 2020, 11:29 am

“China is reporting that frozen shrimp packaging from Equador has corona virus on it. A while ago it talked about salmon from somewhere showing the same.”

Somehow anything China reports about the corona virus I tend not to believe, me. Even if the frozen shrimp were contaminated with the virus, after thawing & cooking it would have been washed away in the water used to thaw them and deactivated by cooking, IMHO.

C.J.V. - eats only local Loosiana shwimps that are cooked, me

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 18th, 2020, 11:52 am

voelkels wrote:Even if the frozen shrimp were contaminated with the virus, after thawing & cooking it would have been washed away in the water used to thaw them and deactivated by cooking, IMHO.

The OP was about virus on the packaging, not the product itself. The risk being presumably you could transfer the virus to yourself after handling the packaging.

Having said that, I tend to think that person-to-person infection must be far more likely than surface-to-person infection. Otherwise I reckon we'd be hearing far more about cases of shop workers, post delivery people and other occupations where items are handled by multiple persons.

Scott.

Return to “Food”