Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Non-dairy milk

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Non-dairy milk

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 3rd, 2020, 2:11 pm

I'm (once again) contemplating non-dairy alternatives to milk.

The main uses for milk are in tea (and occasionally coffee) and on cereal. Other uses - in cooking - are rare, and can probably be discounted.

Cereal is easy: many of them seem to be good for that. But I'm struggling to find one that works well in tea. Some of them specifically warn about hot drinks, so I've avoided those. Others will take it, but have other issues:

• You need much more of it to have any effect, so that a cuppa loses its full heat (same problem applies to that abomination semi-skimmed dairy milk).
  • They don't soften the bitterness of a good builders in the way real milk does.
  • They seem to leave a residue in the bottom of the cup. Not a dealbreaker, but mildly annoying.

Least bad I've tried recently was an Alpro made from oats. Any better suggestions?

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: Non-dairy milk

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 3rd, 2020, 2:31 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:I'm (once again) contemplating non-dairy alternatives to milk.

The main uses for milk are in tea (and occasionally coffee) and on cereal. Other uses - in cooking - are rare, and can probably be discounted.

Cereal is easy: many of them seem to be good for that. But I'm struggling to find one that works well in tea. Some of them specifically warn about hot drinks, so I've avoided those. Others will take it, but have other issues:

• You need much more of it to have any effect, so that a cuppa loses its full heat (same problem applies to that abomination semi-skimmed dairy milk).
  • They don't soften the bitterness of a good builders in the way real milk does.
  • They seem to leave a residue in the bottom of the cup. Not a dealbreaker, but mildly annoying.

Least bad I've tried recently was an Alpro made from oats. Any better suggestions?

Stick with it. I've been on it for about a year now and my taste buds have adapted quite well to it. Have tried lots of alternatives but the Alpro oats seemed to be the best taste wise.

AiY

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 3rd, 2020, 5:30 pm

Don't touch the stuff myself, neither dairy or non dairy but Mrs RS swears by Oatley Barista version for her flat white so I'd assume it would work with tea.

John

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 3rd, 2020, 6:23 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Don't touch the stuff myself, neither dairy or non dairy but Mrs RS swears by Oatley Barista version for her flat white so I'd assume it would work with tea.

John

I'll bear that in mind, look out for it in Tesco.

But "barista" speaks to me of coffee, and of milk that you froth up. That's great in its own right, but a different kettle of ballgames to a nice cuppa.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » October 3rd, 2020, 7:06 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Don't touch the stuff myself, neither dairy or non dairy but Mrs RS swears by Oatley Barista version for her flat white so I'd assume it would work with tea.

John

I like OB in coffee but definitely not in tea. I've yet to try a non-dairy milk substitute that works for tea.

RC

Return to “Food”