Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Crisping a pork chop.

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
88V8
Lemon Half

Crisping a pork chop.

Postby 88V8 » October 4th, 2020, 10:44 pm

We know how to make the crackling crackly on a roast.
But how to emulate it on a chop or pork steak?

A decent chop this evening, but the skin flabby and uncrisp, a travesty of what could have been.

Have tried a (small) blowlamp, seemed to take ages to do little. How do you crackle the skin of your pork chops?

V8

James
Lemon Slice

Re: Crisping a pork chop.

Postby James » October 4th, 2020, 10:54 pm

Not sure if it works with pork, but for beef/lamb, hold the meat upright on the fatty side in a hot pan with no oil. Let the fat render out, then cook in its own fat. This leaves a crispy rim of fat.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » October 5th, 2020, 4:52 pm

James wrote:Not sure if it works with pork, but for beef/lamb, hold the meat upright on the fatty side in a hot pan with no oil. Let the fat render out, then cook in its own fat. This leaves a crispy rim of fat.

It does work, and this is how I do it when I'm cooking for myself. I'm darned if I can figure out a way to carefully balance two chops/etc vertically. Ordinarily I can just about manage the faff with one. Surely there is another way ?

regards, dspp

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 5th, 2020, 5:01 pm

would the rest against each other tilted slightly? or create two "walls" of halved/quatered onions/spuds/spples to hold them upright ?

didds

James
Lemon Slice

Postby James » October 5th, 2020, 7:22 pm

dspp wrote:
James wrote:Not sure if it works with pork, but for beef/lamb, hold the meat upright on the fatty side in a hot pan with no oil. Let the fat render out, then cook in its own fat. This leaves a crispy rim of fat.

It does work, and this is how I do it when I'm cooking for myself. I'm darned if I can figure out a way to carefully balance two chops/etc vertically. Ordinarily I can just about manage the faff with one. Surely there is another way ?

regards, dspp

Either learn the two against each other, as suggested, or use a skewer that spans the pan and impale on that at the appropriate height.
J.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » October 5th, 2020, 7:53 pm

I'd never heard of cooking Ninjas, but knew that someone would make something for the job.

Here we are.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ninja-Crisping ... 2490&psc=1

It's intended for a air-fryer, but might support chops.

I suspect that you might also be able to use something like this in toast rack form, if your pan is big enough. Simply turn it upside down and slide the chops through the gaps.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KitchenCraft-N ... 68&sr=8-18

I should say that I'm no expert at cooking chops. We do them under the grill and they often wind up tough. Then again some in my family would far prefer that to any hint that they might only just be cooked.

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » October 5th, 2020, 10:03 pm

I remove the skin of the pork chop and cook it separately, same as I do for bacon rind.

I also keep bacon rinds in the freezer to crisp up for serving with aperitifs or just as a snack.

john

Return to “Food”