Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Easy-cook rice

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Easy-cook rice

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 31st, 2023, 11:15 pm

Following a mistake in the supermarket, I find myself with a big bag of white, easy-cook rice.

It's edible - indeed, quite a lot better with my stir-fry than I feared when I realised what it was. But not what I'd choose. It's softer than a brown or basmati rice, though not as gooey as some like Thai fragrant rice (which I don't much like: I love Thai food in general, but with noodles rather than that rice).

But since I have it, I shall have to find uses for it. Any suggestions for meals suited to this white, easy-cook rice?

I shall make sure to buy my next rice in the wholefood shop to avoid the risk!

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Easy-cook rice

Postby Dod101 » April 1st, 2023, 7:55 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Following a mistake in the supermarket, I find myself with a big bag of white, easy-cook rice.

It's edible - indeed, quite a lot better with my stir-fry than I feared when I realised what it was. But not what I'd choose. It's softer than a brown or basmati rice, though not as gooey as some like Thai fragrant rice (which I don't much like: I love Thai food in general, but with noodles rather than that rice).

But since I have it, I shall have to find uses for it. Any suggestions for meals suited to this white, easy-cook rice?

I agree with your sentiments re easy cook rice but actually it works quite well. I always have a couple of packs of it just in case I am in a great rush, say going to a concert or something and not given myself enough time. I have used it with a chicken stir fry for instance and it works perfectly well. A few minutes in the micro wave and it is ready.

Dod

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 1st, 2023, 8:15 am

Dod101 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Following a mistake in the supermarket, I find myself with a big bag of white, easy-cook rice.

I agree with your sentiments re easy cook rice but actually it works quite well. I always have a couple of packs of it just in case I am in a great rush, say going to a concert or something and not given myself enough time. I have used it with a chicken stir fry for instance and it works perfectly well. A few minutes in the micro wave and it is ready.

Are you confusing easy cook rice with microwavable rice? They're not the same thing.

Easy cook rice comes dry in bags just like standard rice, it's just been treated to supposedly mean less rinsing and (slightly) less cooking time.

Scott.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 1st, 2023, 9:05 am

I've never tried it but can you cook it for a few minutes less than your normal rice and see if that improves things?

John

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 1st, 2023, 9:14 am

swill453 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I agree with your sentiments re easy cook rice but actually it works quite well. I always have a couple of packs of it just in case I am in a great rush, say going to a concert or something and not given myself enough time. I have used it with a chicken stir fry for instance and it works perfectly well. A few minutes in the micro wave and it is ready.

Are you confusing easy cook rice with microwavable rice? They're not the same thing.

Easy cook rice comes dry in bags just like standard rice, it's just been treated to supposedly mean less rinsing and (slightly) less cooking time.

Scott.

Quite possibly. I am no expert and should probably have said nothing. The stuff I am thinking of, you cut off a corner of the bag and stick it in the microwave for a short time. It is palatable despite my misgivings.

I am always totally confused in a supermarket and tend to stick to Basmati rice or brown rice, the latter being more nutritious my wife told me, but of course takes longer to cook. I find these two varieties are quite enough for my brain.

Thanks for your comments. Always learning.

Dod

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 1st, 2023, 9:53 am

redsturgeon wrote:I've never tried it but can you cook it for a few minutes less than your normal rice and see if that improves things?

John

Indeed, it clearly wants less cooking time (though if in a hurry I'd most likely use pasta instead of rice). That's actually how I first noticed my mistake: I sampled the rice from the pan expecting it to need a few minutes more, only to find it was already tending towards overcooked. At that point I checked what it actually said on the bag!

And to be fair, it was perfectly pleasant with my stir-fry. Possibly the ginger flavour did the most for it, complemented by a glass of Viognier that was positively delicious.

I wonder if it'll make a decent fried rice?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 1st, 2023, 9:59 am

If it's between basmati and fragrant (Jasmine?) it should be a decent side rice with most runny/sticky sauces. Such as:
- Beef and broccoli (without the beef if you prefer)
- Sweet fried sticky chilli
- Home made teriyaki (equal parts mirrin, soy sauce, white wine and water reduced by 50% then poured over anything stir fried with ginger and garlic)

Possibly add a teaspoon of vinegar to the rice to make it a bit sticky and you should be able to form it easily in a glass so that it looks posh

-sd

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » April 1st, 2023, 11:28 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:But since I have it, I shall have to find uses for it. Any suggestions for meals suited to this white, easy-cook rice?

Kedgeree?
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/kedgeree

Should also work in Jambalaya
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/microwave-jambalaya

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » April 1st, 2023, 11:30 am

I, too, prefer 'difficult-cook' rice. Although, with practice, it's not that difficult.

To me, easy-cook rice looks very much like ant's eggs - which is rather off-putting!

Watis

cailynkerr321

Postby cailynkerr321 » December 17th, 2023, 9:34 pm

No worries about the rice mix-up! Easy-cook white rice can actually be quite versatile. You can use it for fried rice, rice, and beans, or even as a side dish for various recipes. It might not be your first choice, but it can work well in a pinch.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 17th, 2023, 11:10 pm

Watis wrote:I, too, prefer 'difficult-cook' rice. Although, with practice, it's not that difficult.

To me, easy-cook rice looks very much like ant's eggs - which is rather off-putting!

Watis

Gosh you must have HUGE ants around your way!

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 18th, 2023, 12:43 pm

This thread was posted in March. It's now December.

I'm happy to report that the easy-cook rice is now history. That is to say, it got eaten. Treated like a deliberate try-anything-once food or drink buy that fails to impress without being so bad as to be inedible.

Return to “Food”