Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Fresh Fruit and Vegetables

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Fresh Fruit and Vegetables

Postby redsturgeon » August 26th, 2023, 2:03 pm

I would recommend sourcing your mangoes from an Indian or Middle Eastern grocers. I buy them by the box from such a place in Hounslow when I am passing and they are delicious.

John

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » August 26th, 2023, 3:15 pm

I’m currently in Thailand and eating the most delicious pomelos. The red pomelos are my favourite and there’s a little street stall near my apartment where two ladies sit all day peeling and preparing the pomelos for lazy buggers like me … and then, of course, I could mention the mangoes and the pineapples and on it goes. Local fruits and vegetables are full of flavour but tomatoes (slightly unripe but mainly used in cooking), strawberries and cherries are hopeless.

Best wishes, Steve

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 26th, 2023, 4:03 pm

Steveam wrote:I’m currently in Thailand and eating the most delicious pomelos.

Lucky you.

But citrus fruit does travel well: much of the stuff in our UK shops is delicious. I don't feel the need to go elsewhere for them.

Not like those mangoes. And indeed, better than so much of our native fruit - like pears or plums - when picked unripe.

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » August 26th, 2023, 6:49 pm

redsturgeon wrote:I would recommend sourcing your mangoes from an Indian or Middle Eastern grocers. I buy them by the box from such a place in Hounslow when I am passing and they are delicious.

John

Agreed. I lived in Southall for 9 months in 1989, and bought all our fruit and veg from the indian shops, (are there any other in Southall?) The mangos and other items were often stacked outside against a lamp post! I now live in the South West and if in Exeter visit the Mesopotamia Emporium on the high street. About the only place around here where I can buy okra, chicken gizzards, mutton etc. and of course mangos if they have any. They even sell tripe if that is your thing. One thing they don't sell that I sometimes need is galangal, I have to get that over the internet and freeze it.

john

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » August 27th, 2023, 2:15 pm

Talking of fruit that doesn't travel well I give you the custard apple aka Cherimoya, I first tasted this delicious fruit in Peru (possibly where it originates) and it was a flavour sensation. I've since found them on food markets in Spain but rarely here unless you count the laughably overpriced underripe specimens you sometimes find on Borough Market. If you haven't tried one you're in for a sweet, sticky treat.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 27th, 2023, 2:23 pm

johnstevens77 wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:I would recommend sourcing your mangoes from an Indian or Middle Eastern grocers. I buy them by the box from such a place in Hounslow when I am passing and they are delicious.

Agreed. I lived in Southall for 9 months in 1989, and bought all our fruit and veg from the indian shops, (are there any other in Southall?) The mangos and other items were often stacked outside against a lamp post! I now live in the South West and if in Exeter visit the Mesopotamia Emporium on the high street. About the only place around here where I can buy okra, chicken gizzards, mutton etc. and of course mangos if they have any. They even sell tripe if that is your thing. One thing they don't sell that I sometimes need is galangal, I have to get that over the internet and freeze it.

I think you mean the Mesopotamia Food Bazaar. It is on Sidwell Street which is the continuation of the High Street, beyond John Lewis.

In fact the Sidwell Street area has quite a few Asian food shops and supermarkets, as well as ethnic restaurants. This reflects the large number of Asian students in Exeter, and the money they have! Sidwell Street has taken over the mantle of the street with independent shops now that Fore Street is all head shops and vintage clothing :D

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » August 27th, 2023, 3:46 pm

Lootman wrote:
johnstevens77 wrote:Agreed. I lived in Southall for 9 months in 1989, and bought all our fruit and veg from the indian shops, (are there any other in Southall?) The mangos and other items were often stacked outside against a lamp post! I now live in the South West and if in Exeter visit the Mesopotamia Emporium on the high street. About the only place around here where I can buy okra, chicken gizzards, mutton etc. and of course mangos if they have any. They even sell tripe if that is your thing. One thing they don't sell that I sometimes need is galangal, I have to get that over the internet and freeze it.

I think you mean the Mesopotamia Food Bazaar. It is on Sidwell Street which is the continuation of the High Street, beyond John Lewis.

In fact the Sidwell Street area has quite a few Asian food shops and supermarkets, as well as ethnic restaurants. This reflects the large number of Asian students in Exeter, and the money they have! Sidwell Street has taken over the mantle of the street with independent shops now that Fore Street is all head shops and vintage clothing :D

Mesopotamia Food Bazaar it is, and well worth a visit.

john

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 27th, 2023, 9:46 pm

Lootman wrote:In fact the Sidwell Street area has quite a few Asian food shops and supermarkets, as well as ethnic restaurants. This reflects the large number of Asian students in Exeter, and the money they have! Sidwell Street has taken over the mantle of the street with independent shops now that Fore Street is all head shops and vintage clothing :D

Is that the road just outside the city centre with the fantastic veggie restaurant? I've been there with friends who know the place, but never seem to find it when there on my own, and sadly I can't look it up 'cos I don't know the name!

rabbit
Lemon Pip

Postby rabbit » August 27th, 2023, 11:45 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Is that the road just outside the city centre with the fantastic veggie restaurant? I've been there with friends who know the place, but never seem to find it when there on my own, and sadly I can't look it up 'cos I don't know the name!

You might be thinking of Herbies, on North Street, other end of the high street. Website for reference: https://www.herbiesrestaurant.co.uk/

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 28th, 2023, 7:12 am

rabbit wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Is that the road just outside the city centre with the fantastic veggie restaurant? I've been there with friends who know the place, but never seem to find it when there on my own, and sadly I can't look it up 'cos I don't know the name!

You might be thinking of Herbies, on North Street, other end of the high street. Website for reference: https://www.herbiesrestaurant.co.uk/

Yes, there is also Sacred Grounds and The Cheeky Vegan. But from the description of the location I would guess he means Herbies.

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » August 28th, 2023, 8:01 am

And talking of vegetarian (in this case vegan) restaurants I can highly recommend Mallow in Borough Market (near London Bridge). Really interesting and tasty vegetarian food. Wine list is ok but nothing special. Very buzzing and can be a bit noisy.

https://mallowlondon.com/

Best wishes, Steve

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » August 28th, 2023, 10:22 am

Steveam wrote:And talking of vegetarian (in this case vegan) restaurants I can highly recommend Mallow in Borough Market (near London Bridge). Really interesting and tasty vegetarian food. Wine list is ok but nothing special. Very buzzing and can be a bit noisy.

https://mallowlondon.com/

Best wishes, Steve

There's also Stem and Glory, there's a couple in London and one in Cambridge.

https://stemandglory.uk

Return to “Food”