Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Pass the salt

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Pass the salt

Postby Clitheroekid » February 19th, 2024, 2:09 pm

Yet another indication that most health advice about food can be taken with a pinch of salt - https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -familiar/

I was amused to read that the latest diet fad is the Atlantic Diet, which is basically what I’ve been eating and drinking for most of my life!

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/02/13/heal ... index.html

I often think that the stress caused by worrying about what should or shouldn’t be eaten more than cancels out any temporary benefit that strict diets might confer.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Pass the salt

Postby Dod101 » February 19th, 2024, 2:24 pm

I noticed the Atlantic Diet as well. Everything in moderation I would say. Furthermore, I think diets and what we eat have more to do with availability and climate than anything else.

Dod

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 19th, 2024, 2:46 pm

New Study Finds No Connection between Salt and Heart Disease

Link between salt consumption and heart disease challenged.

I never knew there was a (simple) connection between salt consumption and "heart disease". I thought it was between salt consumption and blood pressure.

James
Lemon Slice

Postby James » February 19th, 2024, 7:04 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:Yet another indication that most health advice about food can be taken with a pinch of salt - https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -familiar/

I was amused to read that the latest diet fad is the Atlantic Diet, which is basically what I’ve been eating and drinking for most of my life!

I often think that the stress caused by worrying about what should or shouldn’t be eaten more than cancels out any temporary benefit that strict diets might confer.

Eat food, not too much, mainly plants. Only diet plan anyone ever really needs.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » February 19th, 2024, 7:26 pm

Like the Mediterranean diet, the Atlantic diet focuses on home-cooked food served family style, with an emphasis on social interactions between friends and family. Mindful eating, socializing over meals and daily walking or biking provide the foundation of the Mediterranean diet — considered as or more important than the foods consumed.

The diet where food isn't the most important thing? Ay?

diet1
/ˈdʌɪət/
noun
the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.
a special course of food to which a person restricts themselves, either to lose weight or for medical reasons.

Moosehoosenew
Lemon Pip

Postby Moosehoosenew » February 19th, 2024, 7:42 pm

James wrote:
Clitheroekid wrote:Yet another indication that most health advice about food can be taken with a pinch of salt - https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -familiar/

Of course you might live a little longer and it might feel a lot longer.

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » February 19th, 2024, 7:45 pm

Eat less food. Job done.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » February 19th, 2024, 8:02 pm

Have an occasional 24 hour fast.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » February 20th, 2024, 12:55 am

James wrote:

Tim Spector I think.

What about cheese? There is hardly any food not improved by the addition of cheese.

Plant-based too I'd imagine, coming from the cheese plant. Yes?

James
Lemon Slice

Postby James » February 20th, 2024, 10:55 am

Mike4 wrote:
James wrote:

Tim Spector I think.

What about cheese? There is hardly any food not improved by the addition of cheese.

Michael Pollan, in fact.
The point of it - which people obscure with whataboutery - is that you can still eat cheese, bacon, whatever rings your bell.
It was a caution against dietary supplements etc and obsessing over food. If you just eat reasonably and get the bulk of your calories from plants, you can continue eating the corpses of dead animals and all the congealed fermented mammary fat you like, within reason.
His point was to debunk the diet "industry" with its annual location diets and superfoods.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » February 20th, 2024, 11:26 am

James wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
Tim Spector I think.

Michael Pollan, in fact.
The point of it - which people obscure with whataboutery - is that you can still eat cheese, bacon, whatever rings your bell.
It was a caution against dietary supplements etc and obsessing over food. If you just eat reasonably and get the bulk of your calories from plants, you can continue eating the corpses of dead animals and all the congealed fermented mammary fat you like, within reason.
His point was to debunk the diet "industry" with its annual location diets and superfoods.

Hear! hear!
And we can celebrate that whisky comes under "mainly plants"?

Ashfordian
Lemon Slice

Postby Ashfordian » February 20th, 2024, 11:32 am

James wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
Tim Spector I think.

Michael Pollan, in fact.

I eat plenty of plants in my diet. They have just been processed and improved in taste and flavour by certain animals before said plants arrive on my plate.

James
Lemon Slice

Postby James » February 20th, 2024, 12:26 pm

Ashfordian wrote:
James wrote:
Michael Pollan, in fact.

I eat plenty of plants in my diet. They have just been processed and improved in taste and flavour by certain animals before said plants arrive on my plate.

Animal dung: requires an advanced palate and is not to everyone's taste, but chacun pour soi.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » February 21st, 2024, 9:20 pm

James wrote:
Ashfordian wrote:

Animal dung: requires an advanced palate and is not to everyone's taste, but chacun pour soi.

Look up Kopi Luwak.
Although kopi luwak is a form of processing rather than a variety of coffee, it has been called one of the most expensive coffees in the world, with retail prices reaching US$100 per kilogram for farmed beans and US$1,300 per kilogram for wild-collected beans.[7] Another epithet given to it is that it is the "Holy Grail of coffees.(Wikipedia)

James
Lemon Slice

Postby James » February 21st, 2024, 10:11 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:
James wrote:

Look up Kopi Luwak.
Although kopi luwak is a form of processing rather than a variety of coffee, it has been called one of the most expensive coffees in the world, with retail prices reaching US$100 per kilogram for farmed beans and US$1,300 per kilogram for wild-collected beans.[7] Another epithet given to it is that it is the "Holy Grail of coffees.(Wikipedia)

There's a sucker born every minute. You just happened to come along at the right time.
Having owned several cats. I'm not eating or drinking anything that's been through a civet at any price.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 22nd, 2024, 2:40 pm

servodude wrote:And we can celebrate that whisky comes under "mainly plants"?

In fact - pretty much alcohol...

I'm avoiding saying "all" cos somebody will immediately link to beaver schnapps, or aardvark liqueur, or Buzzard Liver wine, or somesuch! :-)

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » February 22nd, 2024, 2:48 pm

didds wrote:I'm avoiding saying "all" cos somebody will immediately link to beaver schnapps, or aardvark liqueur, or Buzzard Liver wine, or somesuch!

Happy to oblige.
I had an old brewing book with traditional recipes for beers and country wines. I remember cock ale which had a chicken carcass in it.
My friends family are from Somerset where every farm made a brew. There is a tale about the cider making and when it cleaned up and became more pro the taste wasn't as good. The missing ingredient was deduced to be the rats or mice that would make their way in via the sack of apples or open vats during the brewing process.
Ah here's a version like I've heard.
Cider making is an ancient tradition going back many hundreds of years and as the science developed some interesting conclusions were made along the way. Many of these were found by accident, including the addition of animal protein to the brew to aid fermentation. Even 50 years ago, standards of hygiene were relatively poor and sacks of half rotten apples containing all kinds of fauna and flora would be casually tossed into the scratter before being pressed, but they found that improving the quality control of the ingredients produced an inferior product.

https://deadratciderfactory.onlineweb.shop/

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » February 22nd, 2024, 3:22 pm

kempiejon wrote:Happy to oblige.
I had an old brewing book with traditional recipes for beers and country wines. I remember cock ale which had a chicken carcass in it.
My friends family are from Somerset where every farm made a brew. There is a tale about the cider making and when it cleaned up and became more pro the taste wasn't as good. The missing ingredient was deduced to be the rats or mice that would make their way in via the sack of apples or open vats during the brewing process.
Ah here's a version like I've heard.
Cider making is an ancient tradition going back many hundreds of years and as the science developed some interesting conclusions were made along the way. Many of these were found by accident, including the addition of animal protein to the brew to aid fermentation. Even 50 years ago, standards of hygiene were relatively poor and sacks of half rotten apples containing all kinds of fauna and flora would be casually tossed into the scratter before being pressed, but they found that improving the quality control of the ingredients produced an inferior product.

https://deadratciderfactory.onlineweb.shop/

That doesn't surprise me. About 40 years ago I had the pleasure of being introduced to an elderly gent who had at one time been the water bailiff on a stretch of the River Severn. He lived on a small-holding overlooking the Severn which looked as if it had been unchanged for a couple of hundred years and probably was. He had a cider orchard, both apples and pears and a wonderful cider house. I had the good fortune to help out one year with the cider making which involved raking up the fallers along with whatever grass, leaves and soil accompanied them and pressing them. But the lack of hygiene mattered not, the result was no ordinary scrumpy but the finest cider I had ever tasted, the perry was even better. Alas, Jasper died, the cider house is no more and the farm now looks as if it is rather expensive accommodation. A quick search shows that he is gone but not forgotten:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markcummings/2010/03/do_you_remember_jasper_ely.html

Jasper made the cider with apples from his orchard, and I remember it being drunk out of a jam jar, roughly wiped with a rag to get rid of the dregs from the previous night. Unhygienic, maybe, but I'm sure it helped create fairly robust constitutions in us all. When I first took my husband, who is no cider drinker, to Jasper's he noticed a distinctive smell, which he put down to the pigs on the farm. It wasn't the pigs.

RC

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 22nd, 2024, 3:43 pm

Indeed, my youth was the end of the era of real scrumpy. I encountered one or two interesting samples, but the generation above me spoke of far greater things - as in the dead rats stories.

Living in central Italy in the '90s brought echoes of that, with local wines that could be very rough. They could be the best or the worst to drink, but never bland like most Italian wine exports were at the time.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 22nd, 2024, 4:41 pm

actually - now its been mentioned...

I knew that! LOL!

Return to “Food”