Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

already cooked/left over pork cubes

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
didds
Lemon Half

already cooked/left over pork cubes

Postby didds » March 15th, 2024, 3:23 pm

I have about a pound of alrerady cooked, cubed pork belly. some cubes with rind and fat on.

Its cold now :-)

Looking for ideas to use it up other than "cold on a salad".

I've googled "recipes for pre cooked cubed pork" but even the pages entitled "24 ways to use up cooked pork" then all have "take 500g of cubed pork, marinate and cook ie from raw".

any ideas?

any style of cuisine absolutely fine!

fisher
Lemon Slice

Re: already cooked/left over pork cubes

Postby fisher » March 15th, 2024, 3:50 pm

Remove any rind, fry to render the fat and then add to a curry is what I'd do.

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » March 15th, 2024, 3:55 pm

didds wrote:I have about a pound of alrerady cooked, cubed pork belly. some cubes with rind and fat on.

Its cold now :-)

Looking for ideas to use it up other than "cold on a salad".

I've googled "recipes for pre cooked cubed pork" but even the pages entitled "24 ways to use up cooked pork" then all have "take 500g of cubed pork, marinate and cook ie from raw".

any ideas?

any style of cuisine absolutely fine!

If I were in your shoes I would definitely rustle up a sweet, spicy and sticky spare rib style sauce, lather it all over the cooked pork and cook it in the oven for about 25 mins at 180c then serve it on rice.
You'll easily find recipes for such a sauce online basically consisting of soy sauce, honey, chilli, garlic, fennel and tomato paste.
Coincidentally I'm doing this with some pork ribs tomorrow and since I'll slow cook them overnight it'll be cold pork by the time I'm ready to start oven cooking them.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 15th, 2024, 4:42 pm

Do you have a dog?

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » March 16th, 2024, 1:50 pm

Something like this, a sweet and sour. Start at the last section thickening the sauce.
https://redhousespice.com/red-cooked-po ... king-steps

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » March 18th, 2024, 12:08 pm

DrFfybes wrote:Do you have a dog?

not for about a month now... :-(

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » March 18th, 2024, 12:10 pm

Dicky99 wrote:If I were in your shoes I would definitely rustle up a sweet, spicy and sticky spare rib style sauce, lather it all over the cooked pork and cook it in the oven for about 25 mins at 180c then serve it on rice.

which is exactly what I did do :-)

Chinese sticky BBQ style though, with sweet and dour vegetables (a sainsbury's mini cookbook recipe ) - I did similar to some tofu for the veggies.

Top tasting and a great suggestion!

And thanks also to kempiejohn for a similar suggestion :-)

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 18th, 2024, 2:46 pm

didds wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:Do you have a dog?

not for about a month now... :-(

Sorry to hear that - we lost ours about 3 weeks ago. However as she was 17 and partial to the odd dead animal from the hedgrow, or badger or fox poo, I suspect old pork belly wouldn't have regstered as a problem.

AJC5001
Lemon Slice

Postby AJC5001 » March 18th, 2024, 5:46 pm

didds wrote:Chinese sticky BBQ style though, with sweet and dour vegetables (a sainsbury's mini cookbook recipe )

Dour vegetables? I didn't know they were a Sainsbury's speciality - from past experience, with luck, you can get them anywhere :lol:

Adrian

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » March 19th, 2024, 12:12 pm

fisher wrote:Remove any rind, fry to render the fat and then add to a curry is what I'd do.

I don't think that that is an appropriate suggestion for this board! It reminds me of a Sri Lankan friend's comment 30 years ago that the British think that curries are for using leftovers. Even last week my 80 years old bridge partner said that she had never made a curry,(i.e. South Asian/Indian sub continent dish) because her husband was adamant that a curry was only for left over meat.
As regular readers of this board will know, I worked in many countries as a chef/executive chef and I never saw anyone use left over meat to make a curry (for want of a better description). The other replies seem perfectly good to me but not in a curry.

Rendering the fat to cook with? I totally agree, I never throw that sort of thing away and we eat or serve the resulting crackling as an appertif.

john

fisher
Lemon Slice

Postby fisher » March 19th, 2024, 1:45 pm

johnstevens77 wrote:
fisher wrote:Remove any rind, fry to render the fat and then add to a curry is what I'd do.

I don't think that that is an appropriate suggestion for this board! It reminds me of a Sri Lankan friend's comment 30 years ago that the British think that curries are for using leftovers. Even last week my 80 years old bridge partner said that she had never made a curry,(i.e. South Asian/Indian sub continent dish) because her husband was adamant that a curry was only for left over meat.
As regular readers of this board will know, I worked in many countries as a chef/executive chef and I never saw anyone use left over meat to make a curry (for want of a better description). The other replies seem perfectly good to me but not in a curry.

Rendering the fat to cook with? I totally agree, I never throw that sort of thing away and we eat or serve the resulting crackling as an appertif.

john

Wow - and I don't think it's appropriate that you should reply to me like that! What an arrogant response.

Return to “Food”