Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Pastry

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Pastry

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 27th, 2024, 11:48 am

I very rarely make pastry. But I like to have the capability.

I used to use a breadboard to roll it. Not ideal, not least because a wooden breadboard won't really take the level of washing up wanted after rolling pastry. Some time back, my board split asunder.

So when I decided to make a pie of some rhubarb, I went to our local kitchenware shop to look for a new one. The shop recommended something, only to find they didn't have it in stock. Best available substitute was wooden boards similar(ish) to my old one. Rather than buy that, I decided for a one-off to improvise once using a flat surface I have - namely the glass platter from the microwave - and look for something better before I next make pastry. As soon as I started I realised the platter was utterly unsuitable due to the bumps on its bottom, and I was probably at risk of breaking it. So I now have some very cautiously minimally-rolled pastry that is not going to make a great pie.

So I'm wondering, is there such a thing as an ideal board for pastry? Big flat surface, stable in use, easy to wash and dry, best of all if it's dishwasher-safe? Anything in particular to look out for?

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Re: Pastry

Postby Dicky99 » March 27th, 2024, 1:20 pm

I use my counter top.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » March 27th, 2024, 3:30 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:So I'm wondering, is there such a thing as an ideal board for pastry? Big flat surface, stable in use, easy to wash and dry, best of all if it's dishwasher-safe? Anything in particular to look out for?

This marble board is a classic solution, being intrinsically cold.
And remarkably cheap.
Not for the dishwasher though.

For something more prosaic and dishwasherable, melamine.

V8

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » March 27th, 2024, 6:13 pm

I use my marble counter top but have used formica, stainless steel and wooden counter tops in the past.

john

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 27th, 2024, 8:24 pm

88V8 wrote:This marble board is a classic solution, being intrinsically cold.
And remarkably cheap.
Not for the dishwasher though.

That caused me a chuckle. I have a marble rolling pin and had a wooden board; the pic shows the reverse. I suspect that board might be challenging: big and heavy not just for the dishwasher, but even to rinse under the tap - and to find space to store!
For something more prosaic and dishwasherable, melamine.

That's probably the kind of thing I'll end up with, unless someone here convinces me otherwise.

Thanks!

6Tricia
2 Lemon pips

Postby 6Tricia » March 27th, 2024, 9:01 pm

How about this? Available in different sizes. Free shipping too!

https://www.temu.com/uk/1pc-cutting-boa ... fyd8229fvx

Tricia

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 27th, 2024, 9:35 pm

I too roll pastry directly on my worktop.

Granite in this case. AND I have a marble rolling pin.

Still comes out rubbersh though....

Even the ready-made stuff in the supermarket is not a patch on my dear old departed Mum's pastry. I so wish I'd paid more attention when she was showing me how to make it.

Sorry Mum....

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » March 28th, 2024, 3:57 am

normally the counter top here
- happily used wood, stone and formica ones

if I was looking for a dedicated board I'd be tempted to make one out of a bit of counter top offcut - bung on few rubber grippy feet
- i think it needs the depth for rolling

actually I also have a heavy duty industrial "plastic" board (2cm thick and as long as the counter top is deep) which gets occasional use especially if I'm on a really sticky dough

-sd

(if we're also doing rolling pins it's a French style Huon pine one that is my fave)

forgotusername
Lemon Pip

Postby forgotusername » March 28th, 2024, 2:46 pm

I use one of these to roll out my pastry using a wooden rolling pin. It's washable and non stick plus it has handy size rings printed on it
https://www.josephjoseph.com/products/r ... -mat-green

When it comes to pastry, the secret is keeping it as cold as possible and not overworking it. I've made a lot of pastry over the years and this is by far the best recipe I've found. This one is sweet but just leave out the sugar for a savoury version. It's a joy to use, very accommodating so if you get a hole when filling the dish, it will patch beautifully. It tastes fab and is crisp and never soggy.

https://emmaduckworthbakes.com/how-to-m ... st-pastry/

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 28th, 2024, 3:32 pm

forgotusername wrote:I use one of these to roll out my pastry using a wooden rolling pin. It's washable and non stick plus it has handy size rings printed on it
https://www.josephjoseph.com/products/r ... -mat-green

Oooh. Rolls up and goes in a kitchen drawer!

What bees have bright green knees?

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » March 28th, 2024, 9:53 pm

Here is my sweet paste recipe that I posted several years ago. Tweeked from recipe learnt from a master pastry chef at a residential catering scool run by British Transport Hotels when I was a kitchen boy on the restaurant cars in 1961.

SWEET PASTRY, VERSION 2016

(PROCESSOR or MACHINE CREAMED METHOD)
(From John Potterton, 1961 NEW LODGE WINDSOR)

250 GR SOFT FLOUR FOR CREAMING
250 GR SOFT FLOUR FOR CUTTING IN
2 TBLS SKIMMED MILK POWDER
250 GR CUT PIECES OF ROOM TEMPERATURE BUTTER
50 GR LARD
150 GRS CASTER SUGAR
1 LARGE EGG
1 LEMON ZEST?
1 PINCH SALT
VANILLA?

PROCESSOR METHOD
1. Dissolve the salt, sugar, zest and vanilla if used in the egg.
2. Put 250 grs flour, the skimmed milk powder and lard and butter into the processor/ machine bowl and the other 250grs flour into a large mixing bowl.
3. Cream the butter, lard and flour in the processor/machine bowl, but not too much!
4. Add and lightly cream in the beaten egg and sugar.
5. Transfer to the flour in the mixing bowl and cut in with a table knife until just mixed in.*
6. Remove to the table top, combine the dough and lightly roll into a fat sausage shape.
7. Slice into suitable amounts; say 210 grs for 8” tarts and 300grs for 10” tarts.
8. Wrap and chill at least 1 hour or freeze and use as needed.

*MIXING MACHINE METHOD
The whole operation can be done in a food mixer using the beater + dough hook, without transferring to another bowl and cutting in with a table knife.

At point #5, stop the mixer, change to a dough hook, add the remaining 250grs flour and just mix to combine. I found that continuing with the beater risked overmixing and toughening up of the dough.

The addition of skimmed milk powder improves the taste, colour and crispiness of the cooked product.

This dough is very short and must be rolled out cool and using a light touch, alternatively freeze it and grate it into the tart ring, pressing together with the fingers.

I always cook pastry near the bottom of the oven using bottom heat, no fan, finishing with top and bottom heat if needed.

john

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 28th, 2024, 10:04 pm

Not sure I'd ever want a sweet pastry. But I daresay I could be convinced if I ever get the opportunity to sample yours!

Anyway, the rhubarb pie came out much better than feared. The filling (with flavour enhanced by half a lemon) is delicious, and the pastry is ... pretty decent in the context of lowered expectations.

Rhubarb isn't a fruit, but somehow in a culinary context it feels like the start of the summer season of soft fruits. Works in so many of the same recipes!

ukmtk
2 Lemon pips

Postby ukmtk » March 29th, 2024, 8:21 am

I love cinnamon buns. :)

I cheat and make the dough in my bread maker. ;)
I do roll it out by hand on the counter top.
I just have to remember to use a lot of flour on the surface to prevent it sticking.

The difficult bit is trying to roll out a rectangle! :o

Return to “Food”