Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Blessed are the cheesemakers.

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
baldchap
Lemon Slice

Re: Blessed are the cheesemakers.

Postby baldchap » May 1st, 2017, 1:05 pm

Sounds like a perfect excuse for a trip to Burgundy to me Slarti :D

swynn
2 Lemon pips

Postby swynn » June 5th, 2017, 10:20 am

"Penicillium molds are found in Blue cheese. Penicillium camemberti and Penicillium roqueforti are the molds on Camembert, Brie, Roquefort, and many other cheeses."

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » September 22nd, 2017, 11:33 am

Tonight I'll test my new Dutch cheese board and beer snack on matured Old Amsterdam cheese. For actual supper I'll prepare some potato salad and bockwurst currywurst. All washed down with copious amount of beer.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » September 22nd, 2017, 6:46 pm

JMN2 wrote:Tonight I'll test my new Dutch cheese board and beer snack on matured Old Amsterdam cheese. For actual supper I'll prepare some potato salad and bockwurst currywurst. All washed down with copious amount of beer.

IMO - the cheese is nice. Bockwurst is nice. On it's own it can be glorious :) But massacring it under raw curry powder a la 1970s Berlin is a travesty.

[Lived there 3 years, never quite got curry-wurst. Germans never mind the northern Berliners do not even slightly get curry, or have places to buy it. Their versions are neutered, sweetened and dayglo through food colouring IME, just ghastly. And then they serve up their trad local speciality sausage, and sprinkle raw/dry curry powder over it. 'No, no, no!'.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » September 22nd, 2017, 7:47 pm

I love currywurst. It's home-made so very subtle and delicate, no raw flavours. It's a beer snack and does its job. You only had one job! It's similar to chips and gravy - It's what you make of it, to get the job done.

Tomorrow evening I'll cook Chicken Supreme with mushroom cream sauce with tarragon, gratin dauphinoise with anchovy touch --- I love savoury things.

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » September 22nd, 2017, 7:48 pm

With a good mature Cheddar, or any Cheddar for that matter, unavailable in my neck of the world I settle for 2nd best. Cantal. It dates back to the time of the Gauls but you'll be hard pushed to find some that mature.

I can "od" on the Feta salads mrs p manages to magic out of thin air laced with lashings of cherry tom's, olives, haricot vert, balsamic vinegar and croutons in amongst all the green stuff.

I'm also a sucker for quantities of Parmigiano-Reggiano grated all over any pasta dish.

Very occasionaly I'll have toasted Cabécou for lunch with fresh bread out of the Panni.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » September 22nd, 2017, 8:00 pm

JMN2 wrote:I love currywurst. It's home-made so very subtle and delicate, no raw flavours. It's a beer snack and does its job. You only had one job! It's similar to chips and gravy - It's what you make of it, to get the job done.

You visit a sausage stand in Berlin, they hand you sausages on a little card tray, with fried onions on top if you ask for them.
On the counter outside the kiosk are bottles of sauce/spice. The trad way is spray it with curry flavoured ketchup, then sprinkle over a good dose of raw curry powder.

Tried it a few times, inevitably turns me into a human Chernobyl. Bad, and makes no culinary or cultural sense.

Scroll down to item 3) here: http://globalroamingblog.com/6-bavarian ... n-germany/

Now compared to their quality wurst, come on it's heinous!? Though the funny thing is, I have some friends ex UK-military who were stationed out that way, 1980s, who think it's manna from heaven.

[I write, as I still have a pack of sumptuous unadulterated Nuremberg bratties in the fridge].

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » September 22nd, 2017, 8:15 pm

Aldi Scottish Cheddar on a chunk of my sourdough with a slice of really earthy allotment cooked beetroot on it. Sheer heaven...

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » September 22nd, 2017, 9:06 pm

tea42 wrote:Aldi Scottish Cheddar on a chunk of my sourdough with a slice of really earthy allotment cooked beetroot on it. Sheer heaven...

Your sourdough? Baking bread? I am just getting into it again after a few years. I had some sourdough yeast originating from the 60's in Sierra Nevadas, punchy stuff, and I had my own culture, best method I found was the wet method, and inside a dutch oven.

Then I got fat and had to find a new hobby.

Cost you only a couple of dollars on Ebay to buy fancy sourdough yeast cultures.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 22nd, 2017, 11:22 pm

panamagold wrote:With a good mature Cheddar, or any Cheddar for that matter, unavailable in my neck of the world

Ouch. Suffered that in Italy. Took me some time to find the Sardinian cheeses that were their best substitute (and cost a lot more than even a top cheddar).
I settle for 2nd best.

That must be Stilton then. ;)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 23rd, 2017, 9:09 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
panamagold wrote:With a good mature Cheddar, or any Cheddar for that matter, unavailable in my neck of the world

Ouch. Suffered that in Italy. Took me some time to find the Sardinian cheeses that were their best substitute (and cost a lot more than even a top cheddar).
I settle for 2nd best.

That must be Stilton then. ;)

Had half of a lovely runny Epoisses de Bourgogne last night...delicious!

Will finish the rest with a Rochefort 10 tonight.

John

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » September 23rd, 2017, 12:21 pm

After more than a decade I am still trying to track down a cheese I had in Alpes Maritimes, about an hour's bus ride from Nice into the mountains. It was a smallish village and they had a fair, I had a cheese that was unpleasantly bitter, gum-drying bitter. Can't remember any strong smell. Locals were eating it and they served it inside a sourdough or French bread.

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » September 23rd, 2017, 1:09 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Had half of a lovely runny Epoisses de Bourgogne last night...delicious!

John

Due to its strong odour Epoisses de Bourgogne is banned on French public transport. :shock:

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 27th, 2017, 10:17 am

panamagold wrote:Due to its strong odour Epoisses de Bourgogne is banned on French public transport. :shock:

Funny, we were in Epoisses a few years ago, and we couldn't find any on sale anywhere. We were pointed toward a factory, which was closed. Maybe they don't allow it out into the fresh air either? :D

Nice chateau, though, and generally a very beautiful and cultured area. Must get back there some time.

BJ

Return to “Food”