Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Favourite Beer Snacks

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Favourite Beer Snacks

Postby JMN2 » August 6th, 2017, 6:06 pm

Let's start with an easy one. Buy some various jars of herring at IKEA, boil baby potatoes and butter on top. Utter bliss.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Re: Favourite Beer Snacks

Postby Clitheroekid » August 6th, 2017, 8:04 pm

JMN2 wrote:Let's start with an easy one. Buy some various jars of herring at IKEA, boil baby potatoes and butter on top. Utter bliss.

That sounds like rather more than a snack!

Cold, rare roast beef for me with some good, crusty bread.

TimR
2 Lemon pips

Postby TimR » August 6th, 2017, 10:23 pm

JMN2 wrote:Let's start with an easy one. Buy some various jars of herring at IKEA, boil baby potatoes and butter on top. Utter bliss.

I used to just eat breadsticks but this sounds tasty - IKEA is many miles away from me. Any good herring substitutes at Tesco, Aldi, Waitrose, Sainsbury, etc.? I think Tesco do rollmop herring tubs ?
I would have to use Flora pro active instead of butter as I am on a Health kick.

TimR

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » August 7th, 2017, 8:10 am

TimR wrote:

I used to just eat breadsticks but this sounds tasty - IKEA is many miles away from me. Any good herring substitutes at Tesco, Aldi, Waitrose, Sainsbury, etc.? I think Tesco do rollmop herring tubs ?
I would have to use Flora pro active instead of butter as I am on a Health kick.

TimR

The anchovies from Waitrose are delicious, these are lovely big juicy silver things rather than the brown salty things that most people do not like (I love those too on pizzas or in a pasta sauce.)

Nachos are my favourite with beer, a lovely mixed plate with cheese sauce, sour cream, guacamole, jalapenos, onions and chilli con carne.

John

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » August 8th, 2017, 7:44 am

redsturgeon wrote:...

The anchovies from Waitrose are delicious, these are lovely big juicy silver things rather than the brown salty things that most people do not like (I love those too on pizzas or in a pasta sauce.)

John

In just case may I suggest you google "Jansson's Temptation"?

For instance https://sweden.se/culture-traditions/janssons-temptation/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janssons_frestelse

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » August 8th, 2017, 8:54 am

JMN2 wrote:

John

Yum!
I will have to make that!
Thanks

John

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 8th, 2017, 9:23 am

Black pudding, on slices of baguette, lightly salted

PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Postby PrincessB » August 9th, 2017, 5:30 pm

Nachos are my favourite with beer

The secret to nachos is to pop them into a hottish oven for a few minutes before consuming. I generally find cold nachos to be a bit claggy and I think the quick burst of heat does something to the oil in them.

They become more brittle and crispy and the mouthfeel is far lighter, bizarrely the effect seems to last for a considerable time after they have cooled down considerably.

I'm not advocating cooking them for ages, an oven at 150ºC or a little hotter for a couple of minutes does the trick.

Most supermarkets sell an own brand lightly salted nacho for a fraction of the cost of something like a packet of Doritos - The Aldi ones are under £50 while the Tesco / Sainsbury versions are still under £1 for a fair quantity of triangular delights.

Regards,

B.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » August 9th, 2017, 5:52 pm

PrincessB wrote:The secret to nachos is to pop them into a hottish oven for a few minutes before consuming. I generally find cold nachos to be a bit claggy and I think the quick burst of heat does something to the oil in them.

They become more brittle and crispy and the mouthfeel is far lighter, bizarrely the effect seems to last for a considerable time after they have cooled down considerably.

I think you're confusing nachos with tortilla chips. The former is a complete recipe, of which the latter is one of the ingredients.

Scott.

PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Postby PrincessB » August 11th, 2017, 12:27 pm

I think you're confusing nachos with tortilla chips. The former is a complete recipe, of which the latter is one of the ingredients.

You are indeed correct.

Thanks Scott.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » August 12th, 2017, 1:27 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
JMN2 wrote:

John

Yum!
Thanks

John

I'll try to cook a proxy of this today, without the Swedish "anchovies" by using regular anchovies in olive oil and a bit of Geo Watkins Anchovy Sauce - just a small batch in case it's a total disaster. I might get a very salty Gratin Daphinois...

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » August 12th, 2017, 7:25 pm

So close, very close, more than passable. I sliced potatoes and an onion, layered them in a casserole dish, salt, pepper, anchovies in each layer, few drops of the Watson's anchovy sauce, layered it up then topped it with double cream not quite to the top, high oven then foil on top and low oven for a few hours. Lovely lovely lovely.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » August 13th, 2017, 10:30 pm

Jansson's Temptation is one of my favourite dishes. It's been a while since I've had it. I'm tempted.

voelkels

Postby voelkels » August 14th, 2017, 12:09 am

Back in the late 70s, while I was (supposed to be) studying at Texas A&M University, I would drive down to Laredo for a weekend (I had to go to San Antonio for computer parts and that was about half way to Laredo so . . .). I would cross the border into Nuevo Laredo on Saturday and stop at a local bar where the beer was inexpensive, the nachos (just tortilla chips covered with white cheese & jalapeno slices) were good and the TV at the bar was on one of the U.S. stations broadcasting American college football games. I got addicted to the simple nachos as a beer snack and still make them using Tostitos “Scoops” (See; http://www.fritolay.com/snacks/product- ... illa-chips ) tortilla chips, Monterey Jack cheese, a pinch of granulated garlic and red home grown jalapeno chilies nuked for 30 or 27 seconds in my microwave oven. The alternative beer snack is salsa or, if I have it, pico de gallo with tortilla chips.

Don’t think the border control agent was amused when he asked me if I was bringing back from Mexico and I said “I hope not”, him.
;-)

C.J.V.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » September 27th, 2017, 11:05 am

Home-baked bread, "ciabatta", quite pleased with my first effort after a few years.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 28th, 2017, 11:49 am

JMN2 wrote:Home-baked bread, "ciabatta", quite pleased with my first effort after a few years.

Impressed!

Did it taste as good as it looked?

John

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » September 28th, 2017, 12:00 pm

John, it needed a tad more salt but the texture was good, not crumbly but slightly chewy. A no-knead recipe, a wet dough resting 18-24 hours getting a massive amount of gluten strands (recipe lifted from Youtube Foodwishes "no-knead ciabatta").

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » December 9th, 2017, 5:21 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
JMN2 wrote:

John

Yum!
Thanks

John

Jansson's Temptation just went into the oven. A very good result can be had with anchovies in olive oil + Geo Watkins Anchovy sauce combo.

Ham Temptation - instead of anchovies use ham (leftover Christmas ham say).

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 9th, 2017, 5:36 pm

Its supposed to be made with sprats, not anchovies. Ansjovis is Swedish for sprats, often mistranslated. Anchovies are sardelle in Swedish
Bit salty with anchovies, but probably ok if you like that sort of thing!

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » December 9th, 2017, 7:32 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Its supposed to be made with sprats, not anchovies. Ansjovis is Swedish for sprats, often mistranslated. Anchovies are sardelle in Swedish
Bit salty with anchovies, but probably ok if you like that sort of thing!

How very droll... :lol:

Afterwards I'll have Kalles Kaviar on knackebrod.

Return to “Food”