Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Minced meat: patties, burgers, meatballs, meatloaves

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Minced meat: patties, burgers, meatballs, meatloaves

Postby JMN2 » October 13th, 2017, 2:23 pm

I did sort of meatball/meatloafy burgers with cheese inside then when cooking I used the dregs from some beer bottles to steam them up a bit under the lid --- beer-steam burgers!

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Re: Minced meat: patties, burgers, meatballs, meatloaves

Postby JMN2 » October 13th, 2017, 2:43 pm

Actor Dom DeLuise had a great meatball-idea which I used in the patty: parsley and parmesan. I also had bread crumbs and flour, egg, all kinds of spices and herbs, chopped onion. Then I wrapped the meat around a handful of grated emmental and formed a burger patty. Steamed in beer fumes. On a toasted brioche bun and JMN2 magic house burger sauce: mayo, ketchup, dijon, tarragon, pepper, smoked paprika powder, tabasco, maggi liquid seasoning.

I believe steamed burgers are somewhat popular in midwest USA mom and pop burger places.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » October 13th, 2017, 9:31 pm

Ask your Scandinavian family and relatives but this the secret to Swedish meatballs.No black pepper but allspice. No breadcrumbs but flour. Salt and allspice, perhaps a touch of nutmeg.

For 400g 50/50 pork beef mince
one egg
4 tablespoon flour
1.5 teaspoon salt
0.5 teaspoon allspice
1 chopped and softened onion.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » October 22nd, 2017, 3:24 pm

JMN2 wrote:Ask your Scandinavian family and relatives but this the secret to Swedish meatballs.No black pepper but allspice. No breadcrumbs but flour. Salt and allspice, perhaps a touch of nutmeg. ...

My mother (Scandi) has been preparing her family meatball stew recipe for as long as I can remember. Your recipe sounds very familiar for prepping the meatballs. Meatballs about the size of obese golf balls, with mushrooms, carrots and onion in a rich gravy. Served up with mash and perhaps a green veg like peas or broccoli. I really should ask her the recipe as it's always been a firm family favourite.

She used to make meatloaf too, that was delicious. Not seen it for years, she must feel time has moved on. Home-made burgers, you're making me hungry now, simple to make and get outstanding results, healthy and inexpensive... what's not to like.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » October 27th, 2017, 1:56 pm

I have been using minced beef a lot since I found the "Butcher's Mince" at Morrison'. Very good quality and in odd amounts from 100g upwards.

Today I am cooking "salisbury steak" burgers. Basically a meatloaf or a big meatball in a rustic bun with loads of fried onions and mushrooms.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » October 27th, 2017, 4:14 pm

And shedloads of beer of course to wash it down ;)

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » October 27th, 2017, 5:26 pm

Meatball sandwich +1!
'Meatball Sub | Gennaro Contaldo & Jamie Oliver'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33tOwPFPm6E

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » November 4th, 2017, 1:44 pm

I used yesterday's cooking juices left over from piri piri chicken in today's burger/meatballs, got 4 large patties now frying under a lid with some steamed beer (The Wild Beer Co Pogo pale ale (horrid stuff by itself)), also have 4 sourdough square rolls from Morrisons which are very dense as I like them. Mince is Morrisons excellent butcher's mince and burger sauce is mayo mustard ketchup tarragon blend.

Did some MickeyD onions: chopped onion wrapped inside kitchen paper microwaved for 2 minutes. :lol:

Yes, I do have the munchies.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » March 23rd, 2018, 3:54 pm

Today I made meatballs/salisbury steak/hamburg steaks in cream mustard mushroom gravy/sauce.

The patties: salt, pepper, allspice, cayenne, nutmeg, onions, maggi liquid seasoning, worcestershire sauce, smoked paprika powder, bread crumbs, flour, egg, milk.

gravy: fried onions and mushrooms, garlic, salt, pepper, marsala wine, chicken stock,double cream, maggi liquid seasoning, herbs of provence, dijon mustard, worcestershire sauce.

A blast from the 70's!

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 23rd, 2018, 3:59 pm

Sorry to admit I use the 'Scan' meatballs from Sainsbury's....

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 23rd, 2018, 4:19 pm

JMN2 wrote:The patties: salt, pepper, allspice, cayenne, nutmeg, onions, maggi liquid seasoning, worcestershire sauce, smoked paprika powder, bread crumbs, flour, egg, milk.

Wot, no meat?

Scott.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » March 23rd, 2018, 4:42 pm

swill453 wrote:
JMN2 wrote:The patties: salt, pepper, allspice, cayenne, nutmeg, onions, maggi liquid seasoning, worcestershire sauce, smoked paprika powder, bread crumbs, flour, egg, milk.

Wot, no meat?

Scott.

Sorry! I used Morrisons in Corbett butcher's steak mince which is the best mince I've encountered besides Gregg's butchers in Ashtead.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » March 23rd, 2018, 4:48 pm

Just my 2c. The 'Maggi seasoning' is MSG, which you could describe as turbo-salt for what it does to both the flavour and sodium levels in a dish. I used to use similar in my cooking, out in Asia where it's very common, until I realised what the jar of innocuous sounding 'flavour enhancer' was and does.
I expect most people might squint if a recipe from the BBC, Delia, Nigella etc etc called for a tea-spoon of MSG to be added. IME it's used to try and get something missing out of poor ingredients, but it comes at a cost.

[Sorry, I enjoyed your post, but perhaps after years spent in Asia trying to avoid the dreadful stuff 'I've a thing' about MSG...]

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » March 30th, 2018, 10:05 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:Just my 2c. The 'Maggi seasoning' is MSG, which you could describe as turbo-salt for what it does to both the flavour and sodium levels in a dish. I used to use similar in my cooking, out in Asia where it's very common, until I realised what the jar of innocuous sounding 'flavour enhancer' was and does.
I expect most people might squint if a recipe from the BBC, Delia, Nigella etc etc called for a tea-spoon of MSG to be added. IME it's used to try and get something missing out of poor ingredients, but it comes at a cost.

[Sorry, I enjoyed your post, but perhaps after years spent in Asia trying to avoid the dreadful stuff 'I've a thing' about MSG...]

Well, I had Korean, Chinese, Japanese and Filipino cooks in my last post and none of them used MSG. The only time I ever saw it used, and then sparingly was, (believe it or not) at Gleneagles Hotel in 1968 or so, and then it was kept locked in the chef's office.

john

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » March 30th, 2018, 10:36 pm

johnstevens77 wrote:Well, I had Korean, Chinese, Japanese and Filipino cooks in my last post and none of them used MSG. The only time I ever saw it used, and then sparingly was, (believe it or not) at Gleneagles Hotel in 1968 or so, and then it was kept locked in the chef's office. john

No I expect not, it's often found in cheaper establishments, Asian food-courts, British take-aways. In fact such places flagging up 'No MSG', or them being aware and offering it as available on request seems increasingly common these days. As suggested, it's a feature amongst the cheapest and blander food; particularly in less developed 'mass-market' regions/sectors.

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » March 31st, 2018, 6:14 pm

In fact, the only time I saw MSG used at Gleneagles was when the useless, French, soup cook made a tasteless chicken soup and the chef de cuisine, also French tore him off a strip and added a touch of MSG, (we had only a vague idea what that was at the time). In those days 50% of the cooks and chefs at Gleneagles were French, they were supposed to be good at their job. A couple of seasons later, I was chef poissonier (chef de partie fish section) and another French potager (soup cook) worked on his section next to us. A few moments before service one lunch time he asked me, panic sticken, if I could help him sort out his cream of chicken soup, it had split and globules of butter were floating on top, it was obviously too thin, I quickly made another roux, and remade his soup, just like that. A week or so later, the chef transferred me to take over the sauce corner, the most prestigeous section in the hot kitchen, the French chef saucier was not up to the job so I changed places with him and he was put under the care of my two Scottish commis on the fish.

And to think that only 5 years previously I had been washing up and peeling potatoes on the restaurant cars! What did I know?

Hey ho!

john

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » March 31st, 2018, 8:15 pm

From the script of Apocalypse Now:
-----------------------------------------
WILLARD Chef.
CHEF Yes, sir --
WILLARD Why they call you that?
CHEF Call me what, sir?
WILLARD Chef -- is that 'cause you like mangoes an' stuff?
CHEF No, sir -- I'm a real chef, sir -- I'm a sauciere --
WILLARD A sauciere --
CHEF That's right, sir -- I come from New Orleans -- I was raised to be a sauciere.. a great sauciere. We specialize in sauces; my whole family. It's what we do. I was supposed to go to Paris and study at the Escoffier School; I was saving the money. They called me for my physical so I figured the Navy had better food.
WILLARD What are you doing out here?
CHEF Cook school -- that did it.
WILLARD How?
CHEF They lined us all up in front of a hundred yards of prime rib -- magnificent meat, beautifully marbled.. Then they started
throwing it in these big cauldrons, all of it -- boiling. I looked in, an' it was turning gray. I couldn't stand it. I went into radio school.

http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/apocolypse.html

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » April 1st, 2018, 7:58 am

Talking of sauces, has something happened to green peppercorns? I haven't been able to find any, have been to Morrisons, Sainsburys and M&S. Used to come in a small jar with some kind of brine.

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » April 4th, 2018, 11:25 am

JMN2 wrote:Talking of sauces, has something happened to green peppercorns? I haven't been able to find any, have been to Morrisons, Sainsburys and M&S. Used to come in a small jar with some kind of brine.

We are way off topic now, but our local Waitrose has both dried and brined.

john

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » April 4th, 2018, 5:51 pm

johnstevens77 wrote:
JMN2 wrote:Talking of sauces, has something happened to green peppercorns? I haven't been able to find any, have been to Morrisons, Sainsburys and M&S. Used to come in a small jar with some kind of brine.

We are way off topic now, but our local Waitrose has both dried and brined.

john

I started this thread and I always welcome off-topicness, so don't worry.

Unfortunately I don't have a local Waitrose anymore, too posh for these parts of the country. I am missing my steak frites with green peppercorn sauce, made the way Marco Pierre White does it: on the pan worcestershire sauce, bit of chicken stock cube, water, peppercorns, let it reduce a bit, then heavy cream until it all thickens, steaks back to the pan for a minute.

Return to “Food”