Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Channel 4: The Truth About Slim People

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Channel 4: The Truth About Slim People

Postby bungeejumper » November 9th, 2017, 12:45 pm

Another interesting foray on Wednesday into the complexities of the human metabolism. Two slim people who could apparently eat all they wanted without piling on the pounds. As it turned out, however, they both had guilty secrets, for better and for worse. (Spoiler - only one of them had fat-busting gut bacteria.)

Thought-provoking stuff, not least because of the way it totally dismissed the old mantras about calories in/calories out. And a thoroughly delightful presenter (comedian Andi Osho). Probably worth catching on the Ch4 online replayer.

One objection though. The programme said that a glass of wine contains as many calories as a slice of cake. The last time I looked, an entire bottle of red had 625 calories, so they must have been talking about some pretty big glasses. ;) Fake News!

BJ

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Channel 4: The Truth About Slim People

Postby redsturgeon » November 9th, 2017, 1:09 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Another interesting foray on Wednesday into the complexities of the human metabolism.

Thought-provoking stuff, not least because of the way it totally dismissed the old mantras about calories in/calories out. And a thoroughly delightful presenter (comedian Andi Osho). Probably worth catching on the Ch4 online replayer.
BJ

I too enjoyed the programme. In a nutshell my take away points were.

Both people featured seemed to be eating more than they actually did. They both mostly ate healthily with the occasional guilty pleasure but neither were big snackers or processed food eaters and both either drank little or no alcohol.

Neither saw themselves as especially active but both walked at least 1 or 2 km per day and did one session a week of a couple of hours of more intense activity.

Both slept well 7-9 hours.

Both had a good varied collection of gut flora .

It seems to me that the calories in/calories out mantra held true (despite what one commentator on the programme seemed to say). I think what she actually meant was that trying to impose a regime of healthy eating and more exercise did not work and people's habits were pretty fixed for good or bad.

John

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » November 9th, 2017, 5:56 pm

Interesting, and your posts trigger a thought.

Did they directly link an active gut to staying thin? I ask because Mrs BD has kept her slim figure through several decades whilst the rest of us pile on the pounds. She has the most fantastically noisy (gurgling) tummy and has ought medical advice on more than one occasion. Could it be that the noisy guts she dislikes so much actually have an upside in keeping her figure trim? I'd love to give her some positive news as she gets quite upset about the gurgles and accompanying gas sometimes.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 9th, 2017, 6:04 pm

BrummieDave wrote:Interesting, and your posts trigger a thought.

Did they directly link an active gut to staying thin? I ask because Mrs BD has kept her slim figure through several decades whilst the rest of us pile on the pounds. She has the most fantastically noisy (gurgling) tummy and has ought medical advice on more than one occasion. Could it be that the noisy guts she dislikes so much actually have an upside in keeping her figure trim? I'd love to give her some positive news as she gets quite upset about the gurgles and accompanying gas sometimes.

No mention of gut motility just a sampling of gut bacteria.

John

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 9th, 2017, 6:06 pm

BrummieDave wrote:Interesting, and your posts trigger a thought.

Since you ask, they did say that getting a lot of wind is a sign of a bacterially blessed gut. And no, I am not making that up! (Did you miss that bit, RS? Actually they didn't say wind, they were being a bit more Anglo-Saxon.)

BJ

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » November 9th, 2017, 6:11 pm

Ta - and I was being serious. She's been plagued with noisy gurgling guts and lots of noxious wind since we met. It's been a real problem for her in some situations like work and GPs say it's just the way you are. This is true obviously, but there are triggers too, such as chocolate particularly.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 9th, 2017, 6:39 pm

BrummieDave wrote:Ta - and I was being serious. She's been plagued with noisy gurgling guts and lots of noxious wind since we met. It's been a real problem for her in some situations like work and GPs say it's just the way you are. This is true obviously, but there are triggers too, such as chocolate particularly.

It's at http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the- ... /66412-001. (You have to register.) The windy bit is in the final five minutes.

BJ

Return to “Food”