Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Oil

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Oil

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 4th, 2017, 2:31 pm

Most winters I have a bit of an issue with olive oil becoming cloudy with the colder weather. It's still usable in cooking, though when it happens to a salad-grade oil it loses its appeal. As the warmth returns in spring, it clears up as if nothing had happened. And it can be temporarily cleared up in winter by immersing the bottle in warm water.

So far this year the olive oil is clear and liquid. But the ground nut oil has gone cloudier than I've ever seen in olive oil, and so solid that it doesn't flow if I re-orient the bottle (e.g. as if to pour it).

Are there any tricks I can use to get/keep clear oil, other than brute-force warmth?

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: Oil

Postby Slarti » December 6th, 2017, 1:05 pm

Store it in the airing cupboard, or by/on the heating boiler?

I have to say, our kitchen has never got so cold as yours must be.

Slarti

Hardgrafter
2 Lemon pips

Postby Hardgrafter » December 6th, 2017, 4:06 pm

Apparently at less than 50°F / 10°C it goes cloudy. So don't store in a fridge or cold larder. Shows you probably have the genuine stuff.

http://www.stilltasty.com/questions/index/137/page:2

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 25th, 2017, 12:01 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:But the ground nut oil has gone cloudier than I've ever seen in olive oil, and so solid that it doesn't flow if I re-orient the bottle (e.g. as if to pour it).

And now with a week (or whatever) of mild weather, the ground nut oil has largely become clear and liquid again.

The olive oil remains clear: both the extra-virgin and the cooking-grade oil. But in previous years when it's gone cloudy, it's remained resolutely cloudy until the warmth of spring. Not like the ground nut oil responding to a mild spell in winter!

Return to “Food”