Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Christmas Food and Cooking

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Christmas Food and Cooking

Postby JMN2 » December 18th, 2017, 3:38 pm

It was not too bad nor hectic at Sainsbury's today and I only need to go shopping once more before next weekend - mainly to get the beer and gravadlax.

Having it very simple again:
roasted potatoes, peas
ham
pate, coarse and smooth
rye bread (with ham and mustard or gravadlax)
herring rollmops
gravadlax - to be bought later
small stilton and emmental with crackers
pancakes with sugar and butter
brioche
beer

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Christmas Food and Cooking

Postby bungeejumper » December 19th, 2017, 4:42 pm

You'll never grow up big and strong if you don't eat up all your veg, you know. ;)

BJ

voelkels

Postby voelkels » December 22nd, 2017, 11:18 am

Axe-u-lee, making gravlax yourself is simple if you can get fresh salmon at a good price (see; http://www.recipetineats.com/cured-salmon-gravlax/ ). It takes about three daze to cure and another day or so if I smokes it (usually it is too hot down here in S.E. Loosiana to cold smoke fish, yes).
;-(

C.J.V.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » December 22nd, 2017, 3:24 pm

voelkels wrote:Axe-u-lee, making gravlax yourself is simple if you can get fresh salmon at a good price (see; http://www.recipetineats.com/cured-salmon-gravlax/ ). It takes about three daze to cure and another day or so if I smokes it (usually it is too hot down here in S.E. Loosiana to cold smoke fish, yes).
;-(

C.J.V.

Very true although 1-2 days should be enough in the fridge, keeping some weight on top and turning the fish a few times. Just something I could've done this Christmas but did not think about it.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » December 24th, 2017, 1:27 pm

bungeejumper wrote:You'll never grow up big and strong if you don't eat up all your veg, you know. ;)

BJ

Well I have peas and green beans, and the potaoes are excellent, roasted in goose fat with the leftover garlic-parsley butter. My solo Christmas menu is always very dry and only cooking done are the potatoes. So it is like a self-service buffet on a ferry to Stockholm (in the 70's people used put food into their handbags and take it into their cabins, once the cook got very angry and poured gravy into someone's handbag..."would madam like to have gravy with that ham?"). One other characteristics for those ferry buffets were people opting not to gor for seconds, thirds etc for the fear of food running out so they would pile everything on a same plate, from herring to gravadlax to ham to rice pudding with plum kissel.

Return to “Food”