Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Steffers0,Anonymous,CryptoPlankton,GrahamPlatt,Walkeia, for Donating to support the site

credit card limit and hire car

Credit Cards, borrowing on Loans and discussions on Stoozing
stockton
Lemon Pip
Posts: 98
Joined: November 30th, 2016, 7:19 pm
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: credit card limit and hire car

#261359

Postby stockton » October 31st, 2019, 6:58 pm

AF62 wrote:Your Spanish language skills to explain that to the rental agent are obviously better than mine, as is your knowledge of the Spanish small claims court system to recover the advance payment from that hire company and the balance.

So I find it easier to have a range of credit cards I can use, rather than have an intricate knowledge of the court systems in Spain, Greece, Italy, Portugal, Turkey, France...

Everybody who books with a UK credit card will have access to the Small Claims Court to deal with any problems, and most of the other British bookings will be through some agent with a UK presence, which will likewise give them access to the small claims system. There is also the European system.

AF62
Lemon Slice
Posts: 479
Joined: November 27th, 2016, 8:45 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: credit card limit and hire car

#261387

Postby AF62 » October 31st, 2019, 9:40 pm

stockton wrote:
AF62 wrote:Your Spanish language skills to explain that to the rental agent are obviously better than mine, as is your knowledge of the Spanish small claims court system to recover the advance payment from that hire company and the balance.

So I find it easier to have a range of credit cards I can use, rather than have an intricate knowledge of the court systems in Spain, Greece, Italy, Portugal, Turkey, France...

Everybody who books with a UK credit card will have access to the Small Claims Court to deal with any problems


I don't understand. Are you suggesting that if you made a booking with a UK credit card with say a Spanish car hire company (and this is assuming you actually paid in advance and not made the booking to pay at the counter), and when you went to collect the car and the Spanish car hire company said the card required to pay the deposit was declined, that you could sue the UK credit card company.

Even if it did fall within the remit if the UK courts, which given the cost of car hire it likely does not, I think you might struggle to produce the evidence to support your position.

stockton wrote:and most of the other British bookings will be through some agent with a UK presence, which will likewise give them access to the small claims system.


As you say, they are an agent, and will simply point to the terms and conditions that you didn't provide a card through which you could pay the deposit. Prove otherwise.

stockton wrote:There is also the European system.


If you want to go back out to Spain / Greece / Italy, etc. and argue in court to recover your money, then fine. I doubt whether you would win when they are playing on home ground.

As I said before, It is easier for me just to carry a range of cards.

stockton
Lemon Pip
Posts: 98
Joined: November 30th, 2016, 7:19 pm
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: credit card limit and hire car

#261417

Postby stockton » November 1st, 2019, 8:38 am

AF62 wrote:
stockton wrote:
AF62 wrote:Your Spanish language skills to explain that to the rental agent are obviously better than mine, as is your knowledge of the Spanish small claims court system to recover the advance payment from that hire company and the balance.

So I find it easier to have a range of credit cards I can use, rather than have an intricate knowledge of the court systems in Spain, Greece, Italy, Portugal, Turkey, France...

Everybody who books with a UK credit card will have access to the Small Claims Court to deal with any problems


I don't understand. Are you suggesting that if you made a booking with a UK credit card with say a Spanish car hire company (and this is assuming you actually paid in advance and not made the booking to pay at the counter), and when you went to collect the car and the Spanish car hire company said the card required to pay the deposit was declined, that you could sue the UK credit card company.

Even if it did fall within the remit if the UK courts, which given the cost of car hire it likely does not, I think you might struggle to produce the evidence to support your position.

stockton wrote:and most of the other British bookings will be through some agent with a UK presence, which will likewise give them access to the small claims system.


As you say, they are an agent, and will simply point to the terms and conditions that you didn't provide a card through which you could pay the deposit. Prove otherwise.

stockton wrote:There is also the European system.


If you want to go back out to Spain / Greece / Italy, etc. and argue in court to recover your money, then fine. I doubt whether you would win when they are playing on home ground.

As I said before, It is easier for me just to carry a range of cards.

It appears that you do not understand the virtues of UK credit cards and S.75. It does not matter where in the world a transaction occurs; the credit card provider has. with certain restrictions, the same responsibilities as the merchant. Consequently, if the merchant is not readily accesible you can deal with the credit card provider. So, yes, a transaction in another country is within the remit of UK courts.
As to evidence, you have a booking using the same credit card twenty minutes after it was refused - that is pretty good evidence that the credit card was not at fault.

AF62
Lemon Slice
Posts: 479
Joined: November 27th, 2016, 8:45 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: credit card limit and hire car

#261531

Postby AF62 » November 1st, 2019, 5:49 pm

stockton wrote:
AF62 wrote:
stockton wrote:Everybody who books with a UK credit card will have access to the Small Claims Court to deal with any problems


I don't understand. Are you suggesting that if you made a booking with a UK credit card with say a Spanish car hire company (and this is assuming you actually paid in advance and not made the booking to pay at the counter), and when you went to collect the car and the Spanish car hire company said the card required to pay the deposit was declined, that you could sue the UK credit card company.

Even if it did fall within the remit if the UK courts, which given the cost of car hire it likely does not, I think you might struggle to produce the evidence to support your position.

stockton wrote:and most of the other British bookings will be through some agent with a UK presence, which will likewise give them access to the small claims system.


As you say, they are an agent, and will simply point to the terms and conditions that you didn't provide a card through which you could pay the deposit. Prove otherwise.

stockton wrote:There is also the European system.


If you want to go back out to Spain / Greece / Italy, etc. and argue in court to recover your money, then fine. I doubt whether you would win when they are playing on home ground.

As I said before, It is easier for me just to carry a range of cards.

It appears that you do not understand the virtues of UK credit cards and S.75. It does not matter where in the world a transaction occurs; the credit card provider has. with certain restrictions, the same responsibilities as the merchant. Consequently, if the merchant is not readily accesible you can deal with the credit card provider. So, yes, a transaction in another country is within the remit of UK courts.
As to evidence, you have a booking using the same credit card twenty minutes after it was refused - that is pretty good evidence that the credit card was not at fault.


I perfectly understand s75 thank you, and have made many claims using it where retailers have been intransigent.

As you obviously know, s75 only applies to amounts over £100. The type of car hire being discussed quite often falls below that amount, even when hiring a car for a week.

Even if you get over that hurdle the booking will take two forms.

Either the payment will have been made weeks before arriving at the car hire desk, so the card being accepted in an online transaction for a lowish amount and then being refused for a substantial amount in a foreign country weeks later is no evidence at all. And that is even if you used the same cards; I frequently don't.

Alternatively the payment is made at the desk with the deposit forming part of the payment. Your card has been refused so how are you going to prove that a contract actually exists - as the consideration element is a key part.

And that is before you get to booking through an agent who will say "nothing to do with us, we did our bit and booked the car and passed the payment on, but you failed to pay the deposit".

So good luck, but personally I will stick with taking a wallet full of cards.


Return to “Credit Cards and Loans”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests