Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Changing Credit Habits

Credit Cards, borrowing on Loans and discussions on Stoozing
Steveam
Lemon Slice

Changing Credit Habits

Postby Steveam » August 2nd, 2022, 9:57 pm

I’ve been using ApplePay on my watch and phone for some years. I find it convenient and safe as there is no chance of the retailer having a security issue. When the touch payments limit was raised to £100 per transaction I became more concerned about carrying credit cards if I didn’t need to do so. For the last year I’ve not carried a credit card in the U.K. and all has gone well.
I am going into a private hospital for a procedure and their admissions procedure is to take a credit card in case of non-payment. I ‘phoned today to say I don’t like to carry credit cards and they have no way forward. I’ll back away from the problem but I’d like to see their systems accommodating modern technology.

Best wishes,

Steve

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Changing Credit Habits

Postby Lootman » August 2nd, 2022, 10:03 pm

Nobody is obligated to accept any form of payment that they do not wish to. It may be a marketing problem if they do not accept this or that, but it has to be the service providers' choice.

In my experience credit cards come with all kinds of protections against fraud and, on the two occasions a bad guy has obtained my CC details and digits and used them, it cost me nothing - the card issuer covered me.

So I really would not worry too much about it. They will pre-authorise a certain amount to cover themselves and that is the same thing as hotels and car rental companies do.

One thing I do is have cards with a variety of credit limits. The lowest is 500 and the highest is 50,000. Which I use depends on how I view my prospective exposure and risk.

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » August 2nd, 2022, 10:16 pm

From their admissions info: “These card details will be kept securely for up to threemonths and we will let you know if we intend to take a payment from this card before we do so.”
I did ask if they took a pre-authorised amount and they said not. I do understand their problem - if an insurer failed to pay they could find getting the money very difficult.
Some years ago I lost my wallet and the loss of the credit cards was a problem as someone did four tap and pays on one card but that was less than £30 a throw (oddly enough they didn’t use two other cards nor a bank card).

Best wishes,

Steve

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » August 3rd, 2022, 6:02 am

Sounds like they'd be doing a "cardholder not present" transaction, in which case they don't actually need to see your card, they just need the number(s).

So if, as you say, your objection is carrying the credit card, you should be able to avoid this by giving the details over the phone, for example.

Scott.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 3rd, 2022, 6:06 am

Steveam wrote:
I am going into a private hospital for a procedure and their admissions procedure is to take a credit card in case of non-payment.

I ‘phoned today to say I don’t like to carry credit cards and they have no way forward. I’ll back away from the problem but I’d like to see their systems accommodating modern technology.

You've not said how you're getting to the hospital, but if you're getting dropped off by someone you know, then would it be possible for them to accompany you to the admissions desk and then leave with your credit card once that process has been completed?

I'm assuming here that when you said earlier that ''these card details will be kept securely for up to three months', it means they only take some details from the card and then physically give you it back...

I can understand why you'd prefer not to have to be in possession of the card for the rest of the stay, as I'd be concerned about exactly the same issue.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » August 3rd, 2022, 6:52 am

Steveam wrote:I’ve been using ApplePay on my watch and phone for some years. I find it convenient and safe as there is no chance of the retailer having a security issue. When the touch payments limit was raised to £100 per transaction I became more concerned about carrying credit cards if I didn’t need to do so. For the last year I’ve not carried a credit card in the U.K. and all has gone well.
I am going into a private hospital for a procedure and their admissions procedure is to take a credit card in case of non-payment. I ‘phoned today to say I don’t like to carry credit cards and they have no way forward. I’ll back away from the problem but I’d like to see their systems accommodating modern technology.

Best wishes,

Steve

Just a quick correction. The £100 limit is on contactless cards NOT ApplePay. The transaction limit on ApplePay is either the size of your bank account or your credit limit. It is entirely possible that reputable retailers will use the contactless card limit for ApplePay transactions, but that's a responsible retailer.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news ... support-it
Is there a limit for Apple Pay?

No. Unlike contactless card payments that limit you to a £100 spend, there is no limit for Apple Pay.

I think that the situation is actually worse in that some people, for convenience, are setting their ApplePay device up so that they don't need to "wake" the device up.

Here is a Forbs article.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrew ... ffb911142c

My phone will do NFC, so I could use it to pay for things. However I use a contactless card instead. They are not exactly huge.

Larger transactions I don't do contactless, though I have tripped the fraud prevention limit a couple of times with transactions that were just large. As said, you can inform your provider of a pending transaction or that you are going on holiday to avoid problems with unexpected transactions.

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » August 3rd, 2022, 3:38 pm

Thx all for your comments and suggestions.

I knew and should have made clear that the £100 contactless limit is for credit cards. I have no idea what my ApplePay limit is (I guess the card limit) but I once paid £4,000+ with no trouble at all. They (the hospital) have overcome the problem by providing me with a draft invoice which I can pay and if any additional charges are incurred they will invoice me again. They will not insist on having a credit card guarantee.

I do realise that (caused by me) it has been a storm in a teacup but what underlies this is that I don’t want lots of organisations to have or hold my credit card details. Rightly or wrongly I’ve decided to trust a tech savvy giant (Apple) and my bank but minimise other parties having my card info. I also don’t wish to take the physical card out of a secure environment (my home) because of card loss and misuse (think wallet loss or theft or mugging).

Best wishes,

Steve (paranoia rules ok)

Return to “Credit Cards and Loans”