Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Personal vs Consumer CC

Credit Cards, borrowing on Loans and discussions on Stoozing
MikeyWorld
Lemon Pip

Personal vs Consumer CC

Postby MikeyWorld » December 20th, 2018, 4:17 pm

The DVLA seem to differentiate between personal and consumer credit cards.

Free if it's a personal credit card, £2.50 for a consumer credit card (and corporate / business cards)

What is the difference between personal and consumer?

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Personal vs Consumer CC

Postby swill453 » December 20th, 2018, 5:11 pm

MikeyWorld wrote:The DVLA seem to differentiate between personal and consumer credit cards.

Free if it's a personal credit card, £2.50 for a consumer credit card (and corporate / business cards)

What is the difference between personal and consumer?

I don't know where you picked up the term "consumer credit card", I've never heard of it and can't imagine how it would differ from a personal credit card.

The wording on the DVLA site says "There is no fee for paying with any debit card, pre-paid card or personal credit card. An additional fee of £2.50 is applicable to all other types of cards."

By "other types" I assume they mean business or corporate cards. And the reason they charge for them is because they can! The law changed so that they can't do it for personal cards.

Scott.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 20th, 2018, 6:23 pm

swill453 wrote:By "other types" I assume they mean business or corporate cards. And the reason they charge for them is because they can! The law changed so that they can't do it for personal cards.
).
Yes, I have noticed that some card issuers have been pushing me to take out a corporate or business credit card. I looked into it a little and discovered that at least some of the consumer protections that exist for personal credit cards are absent for business cards.

I don't know the full range of what that means but suspect it includes things like a greater ability to charge fees, a shorter time window to pay your monthly bill and higher interest rates (if that is even possible).

MikeyWorld
Lemon Pip

Postby MikeyWorld » December 21st, 2018, 7:25 pm

It came half way through the payment process, so I can't get back to the page until next year.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » January 15th, 2019, 10:18 am

There are numerous legal protections for consumers which would not apply to business cards.

Obviously, as you have just discovered, there is the one that applies to surcharges for paying by credit cards.

Also, there is no Section 75 protection for business cards (or prepaid). Which must surely be the very best reason to use a credit card.

Gryff

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 15th, 2019, 12:58 pm

gryffron wrote:There are numerous legal protections for consumers which would not apply to business cards.

Obviously, as you have just discovered, there is the one that applies to surcharges for paying by credit cards.

Also, there is no Section 75 protection for business cards (or prepaid). Which must surely be the very best reason to use a credit card.

I think you missed the point. The question is whether there is a difference between a "personal" credit card and a "consumer" credit card.

I'd say there isn't, and disagree with the OP's statement that the DVLA would make a charge for the latter and not the former. In fact the latter is not a commonly used term in this country.

No argument that a corporate or business credit card is different and will have a surcharge.

Scott.

Return to “Credit Cards and Loans”