Remove ads

Best Credit Card Deals

Credit Cards, borrowing on Loans and discussions on Stoozing
Paultry
Lemon Pip
Posts: 65
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:09 am
Been thanked: 17 times

Best Credit Card Deals

#23618

Postby Paultry » January 16th, 2017, 10:32 pm

Is anyone aware of anything in the way of a credit card that actually gives a decent cashback or some form of useful benefit?

I ask because Capital One (1% cashback) is gone, Halifax £5/month if you spend £300 (1.66%) is gone and now Santander is placing a ceiling on cashback of just £3 on each of its three ways of accruing the benefit, minus the £3 fee.

Paul

stooz
Site Admin
Posts: 649
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 11:03 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 121 times

Re: Best Credit Card Deals

#23947

Postby stooz » January 17th, 2017, 9:16 pm

My co op membership gives a nice 5% but only at co op

Lootman
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2921
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:58 pm
Been thanked: 421 times

Re: Best Credit Card Deals

#23952

Postby Lootman » January 17th, 2017, 9:31 pm

The cards with the most features and facilities tend to have an annual fee. Should we assume that's a non-starter?

Biggles
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 195
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:25 pm
Has thanked: 81 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Best Credit Card Deals

#24054

Postby Biggles » January 18th, 2017, 9:31 am

stooz wrote:My co op membership gives a nice 5% but only at co op

It's only 0.5%, isn't it? Or does that only apply to new applicants?

scrumpyjack
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 173
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:15 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Best Credit Card Deals

#24529

Postby scrumpyjack » January 19th, 2017, 7:53 pm

Barclaycard gives me 0.5% on Visa spending and 1% on Amex with no upper limit. There is no card fee.

Also I'm staggered that NatWest's 'Reward' scheme gives me cashback on Council tax and phone bills etc. There is a £3 fee per month but the cashback is about £15 a month. Can't see how it is economic for them

stooz
Site Admin
Posts: 649
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 11:03 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 121 times

Re: Best Credit Card Deals

#24573

Postby stooz » January 19th, 2017, 11:07 pm

Biggles wrote:
stooz wrote:My co op membership gives a nice 5% but only at co op

It's only 0.5%, isn't it? Or does that only apply to new applicants?


Nope 5%.
http://www.coop.co.uk/membership/
It's not a credit card.

paulnumbers
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 188
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 2:15 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Best Credit Card Deals

#24578

Postby paulnumbers » January 19th, 2017, 11:29 pm

Paultry wrote:Is anyone aware of anything in the way of a credit card that actually gives a decent cashback or some form of useful benefit?

I ask because Capital One (1% cashback) is gone, Halifax £5/month if you spend £300 (1.66%) is gone and now Santander is placing a ceiling on cashback of just £3 on each of its three ways of accruing the benefit, minus the £3 fee.

Paul


Perhaps this is useful...

https://www.reddit.com/r/UKPersonalFina ... _spending/

Alaric
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1606
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 9:05 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 265 times

Re: Best Credit Card Deals

#24582

Postby Alaric » January 20th, 2017, 12:06 am

scrumpyjack wrote:Also I'm staggered that NatWest's 'Reward' scheme gives me cashback on Council tax and phone bills etc. There is a £3 fee per month but the cashback is about £15 a month. Can't see how it is economic for them


I'm guessing that it's a dastardly plot to eliminate free banking. Once everyone is signed up to the principle of fee based banking, the rewards will disappear. It's actually only on some bills settled by direct debit that it applies, but many people have lots of them.

Either that or the marketing department has taken over.

The removal of rewards on credit cards is an EU consequence, since the fees that can be charged to retailers became restricted.

Biggles
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 195
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:25 pm
Has thanked: 81 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Best Credit Card Deals

#24626

Postby Biggles » January 20th, 2017, 9:29 am

stooz wrote:Nope 5%.
http://www.coop.co.uk/membership/
It's not a credit card.

Not bad. East of England Co-op only pay 2p.

stooz
Site Admin
Posts: 649
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 11:03 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 121 times

Re: Best Credit Card Deals

#24697

Postby stooz » January 20th, 2017, 12:10 pm

Alaric wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:Also I'm staggered that NatWest's 'Reward' scheme gives me cashback on Council tax and phone bills etc. There is a £3 fee per month but the cashback is about £15 a month. Can't see how it is economic for them


I'm guessing that it's a dastardly plot to eliminate free banking. Once everyone is signed up to the principle of fee based banking, the rewards will disappear. It's actually only on some bills settled by direct debit that it applies, but many people have lots of them.

Either that or the marketing department has taken over.

The removal of rewards on credit cards is an EU consequence, since the fees that can be charged to retailers became restricted.


I use natwest. Its a good enough deal with a fee.

But as for dumping the offer - thats what santander did, and I ditched them the minute they did it. and I will ditch natwest the minute they remove it as well. speak with your feet...

Banks have for generations relied on customers reluctance to change.


Return to “Credit Cards and Loans”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest