Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Refusing to accept a new card number after a Barclaycard fraud

Credit Cards, borrowing on Loans and discussions on Stoozing
JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Refusing to accept a new card number after a Barclaycard fraud

Postby JohnB » March 26th, 2021, 1:31 pm

Barclaycard have rung me to point out 2 fraudulent transactions on my account, some £60. They now want to issue me with a new card with a new number, but that means I'd have to inform all the companies that use that number for regular payments, which will be a pain. Can I refuse to accept a new number, and if I do, will I still be covered against future fraudulent use of the card?

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Re: Refusing to accept a new card number after a Barclaycard fraud

Postby Lanark » March 26th, 2021, 3:24 pm

Are you sure it was Barclaycard who phoned you? how did they identify themselves?

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 26th, 2021, 3:29 pm

Lanark wrote:Are you sure it was Barclaycard who phoned you? how did they identify themselves?

And as importantly, did they take you through a series of "security questions" before embarking on the conversation?

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » March 26th, 2021, 3:57 pm

They quoted a genuine transaction on the card by text as well as the two fraudulent ones. And the fraudulent transactions were from deliveroo, and someone did turn up at my door with unwanted food on the date quoted.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 26th, 2021, 6:04 pm

JohnB wrote:They quoted a genuine transaction on the card by text as well as the two fraudulent ones. And the fraudulent transactions were from deliveroo, and someone did turn up at my door with unwanted food on the date quoted.

Thanks, sounds to me like a genuine phone call then. Presumably they were alerted by the food retailer whose delivery you rejected. Probably test transactions by the fraudsters prior to trying some bigger frauds using your card. Odd they should try a food delivery though as this would get flagged up immediately as you would find out, unlike say a few small on-line bets.

To guess an answer to your question, no I don't think you can refuse a new card number. Did you not read and understand all the T&Cs end to end when applying for the card? :shock: :shock: I bet one covers this point, or at least says they can cancel/withdraw your card at any time without giving a reason. I'd have thought you'd want a new card number though, given the fraudsters have enough of your other details (address etc) to have carried out the fraud.

One worrying thought, the fraudster might have been hanging around outside your house to attempt to intercept the food delivery having used it to verify your card address, but the Deliveroo bod declined to hand it over and knocked on your door as they should.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 27th, 2021, 7:23 am

Assuming it is Barcleycard and there really is a fraud, I can see 2 options...
Take a new card number and inform people of it, bearing in mind that one of them could be the culprit for the fraud
or
decline the new card, keep the old number, but accept that you will be liable for all fututre fraudulent transactions on the card.

I know which I would choose.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 27th, 2021, 4:38 pm

Mike4 wrote:
Lanark wrote:Are you sure it was Barclaycard who phoned you? how did they identify themselves?

And as importantly, did they take you through a series of "security questions" before embarking on the conversation?

Mike, not sure if you're joking, but I have a dry sense of humour, so I assume you are.

The security questions are most definitely not for when someone phones you. They are for when you phone the bank. Otherwise, even your neighbour could call and take you on
a series of "security questions" before embarking on the conversation
8-)

I have never had this happen. I always received a message to please call my bank immediately on the standard number for reporting losses of card, fraud etc.

Steve

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 27th, 2021, 4:45 pm

stevensfo wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

Mike, not sure if you're joking, but I have a dry sense of humour, so I assume you are.

The security questions are most definitely not for when someone phones you. They are for when you phone the bank. Otherwise, even your neighbour could call and take you on
8-)

I have never had this happen. I always received a message to please call my bank immediately on the standard number for reporting losses of card, fraud etc.

Steve

Steve, I was obviously failing to make my point clearly enough.

To spell it out, if the OP was asked a series of security questions, then the caller was almost certainly a scammer trying to harvest the answers to the security questions the bank asks if someone calls the bank. Theu will have been doing this in order to later masquerade as the OP and get access to their bank account(s). Hence my concern that the OP may have been asked some security questions, and worse, perhaps provided answers to them.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » March 27th, 2021, 5:00 pm

"Barclaycard" first sent me a text saying the number they were sending security checks from had changed. This could clearly be anyone.

That number then sent me a text quoting 2 frauds and a genuine transaction, and asking to respond "N" if any were bad. As only Barclaycard could have known both about the genuine transaction and as it happens I could understand the fraud as it was bad food delivery which actually happened, it must be Barclaycard, so I responded.

Barclaycard rang, and didn't ask security questions. Mind you I'd not have pushed back much if they did, other than on the "but your're ringing me" cussedness principle.

Which is all fine, except they blotted they copybook as their website later would not allow me to flag one of the frauds, and they seem to have disabled my card today against my wishes, as it worked in the morning, but not after lunch. So I will have to spend hours fixing card numbers.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 27th, 2021, 5:38 pm

Mike4 wrote:
stevensfo wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

8-)

Steve

Steve, I was obviously failing to make my point clearly enough.

To spell it out, if the OP was asked a series of security questions, then the caller was almost certainly a scammer trying to harvest the answers to the security questions the bank asks if someone calls the bank. Theu will have been doing this in order to later masquerade as the OP and get access to their bank account(s). Hence my concern that the OP may have been asked some security questions, and worse, perhaps provided answers to them.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm completely exhausted after cutting the grass and cleaning our idiosyncratic lawnmower that is currently missing a wheel but still works very well, as long as I'm nice to it. ;)
I'm also very suspicious of anything to do with banks! They're just dodgy market stall owners in suits! 8-)

Steve

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » March 28th, 2021, 11:46 am

JohnB wrote:Barclaycard have rung me to point out 2 fraudulent transactions on my account, some £60. They now want to issue me with a new card with a new number, but that means I'd have to inform all the companies that use that number for regular payments, which will be a pain. Can I refuse to accept a new number, and if I do, will I still be covered against future fraudulent use of the card?

So you don't want the hassle that a change of card number will bring, but are happy for Barclays to continue to suffer losses from the compromised card details?

I suspect if you refuse a new card number then they will likely decide that they don't want you as a customer.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » March 28th, 2021, 12:28 pm

They could have issued a new card with the same number but different CCV. This would have allowed existing relationships to be preserved, but stop new ones being created.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 28th, 2021, 1:51 pm

JohnB wrote:They could have issued a new card with the same number but different CCV. This would have allowed existing relationships to be preserved, but stop new ones being created.

Unless it was used without the CCV, like on Amazon for example.

Scott.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 29th, 2021, 5:40 pm

Slightly off topic, but worth remembering. My Capital One card was automatically replaced recently, because the company said that one of my transactions appeared to have been with somebody who was giving cause for concern. I was well pleased with that. And the new card had the same numbers as the old one, but a new CVV obviously.

All went well until my weekly Tesco shop didn't arrive - because, they said, the payment had failed. :( I had pre-booked the delivery several weeks earlier, on the old card, in the normal way. And then when Tesco went to checkout my food order, the CVV didn't match and so the transaction failed.

I suppose I should have foreseen that Capital One would cancel the old card as soon as I activated the new one, but it simply hadn't entered my head that I would now have to go round all my pre-orders and all my "saved cards" with Amazon etc and tell all of them about the changed CVV details. I have no complaints - Capital One were looking after me very well - but it caught me out all the same. Lesson learned.

BJ

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 29th, 2021, 6:00 pm

bungeejumper wrote:it simply hadn't entered my head that I would now have to go round all my pre-orders and all my "saved cards" with Amazon etc and tell all of them about the changed CVV details.

Amazon being a bad example since they don't use the CCV :-)

Scott.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 12th, 2021, 1:57 pm

Interesting. Is there currently a lot of this about? How exactly does it work?

Following receipt of my latest Barclaycard credit card statement I immediately noticed two odd transactions, one of £2.99 for a "Cash Transaction Fee For £20" (I don't do cash transactions on my CC) followed by a payment of £20 to "Wise, London".

Wise, London is one of those new fintech, money transfer companies: https://wise.com

This is the first time in all my long years of using debit cards, credit cards I have picked up on such a genuinely false transaction.

How is this done without access to the card SVC number? Or is this number possibly available in some manner, such as via a POS terminal? Also, can a merchant set POS terminals to print out the full card number on card transaction receipts, rather than just the last four digits which has been the default for quite a few years now?

TIA

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 12th, 2021, 2:06 pm

JohnB wrote:They could have issued a new card with the same number but different CCV. This would have allowed existing relationships to be preserved, but stop new ones being created.

Apparently not.

Return to “Credit Cards and Loans”