Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Simple Mastercard credit card

Credit Cards, borrowing on Loans and discussions on Stoozing
pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Simple Mastercard credit card

Postby pje16 » October 6th, 2022, 9:08 pm

mc2fool wrote:? Well I've not received any, and I can't find anything about cashback or similar either in their Ts&Cs or in their FAQ. :?

Is it only for Prime Members or something?

it's all here
https://portal.newdaycards.com/amazon/rewards-terms

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 6th, 2022, 9:18 pm

pje16 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:? Well I've not received any, and I can't find anything about cashback or similar either in their Ts&Cs or in their FAQ. :?

Is it only for Prime Members or something?

it's all here
https://portal.newdaycards.com/amazon/rewards-terms

Oh, you're referring to the reward points (that you have to spend with Amazon) not a cash back that lowers your bill.

With each reward point worth 1p and you getting 0.5 of a point for every £2 spent not-at-Amazon, that's a measly 0.25%....

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 6th, 2022, 9:31 pm

I have Prime, so it's 1.5%
not huge but as I would be buying anyway it still for nothing and better than a kick up the proverbial

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 6th, 2022, 9:47 pm

pje16 wrote:I have Prime, so it's 1.5%

Only "on eligible purchases at Amazon.co.uk", not on anything. And it's still not cashback.

6Tricia
2 Lemon pips

Postby 6Tricia » October 6th, 2022, 10:03 pm

Absolutely, pje! But I'd still like to know if anyone has knowledge of anything better than the 0.25% that New Day is offering. I haven't found anything by Googling and don't like the idea of submitting my details to determine eligibility to uswitch et al. Perhaps the Pulse card is, after all, the best option. As I don't always shop at the same supermarket I don't want a supermarket affiliated card either!

Tricia

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 6th, 2022, 10:23 pm

mc2fool wrote:

Only "on eligible purchases at Amazon.co.uk", not on anything. And it's still not cashback.

It goes straight to my Amazon account, makes life easy, so are you going to dispute that next

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 6th, 2022, 10:31 pm

6Tricia wrote:Absolutely, pje! But I'd still like to know if anyone has knowledge of anything better than the 0.25% that New Day is offering. I haven't found anything by Googling and don't like the idea of submitting my details to determine eligibility to uswitch et al. Perhaps the Pulse card is, after all, the best option. As I don't always shop at the same supermarket I don't want a supermarket affiliated card either!

Tricia

Hi Tricia
not sure if this (Amex) is the same one as I have
mine gets triple points at Supermarkets -I have had it for many years
5% for 1st 3 months and 1% after that
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credi ... ards/#cash

good luck
Paul

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 6th, 2022, 11:19 pm

pje16 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:

It goes straight to my Amazon account, makes life easy, so are you going to dispute that next

Well, yes it does, after 1000 points, going into your Amazon account as a gift card, no dispute about that. But what I'm saying is that normally "cashback" means a rebate on the card that reduces your bill and/or you can use to buy whatever you like wherever you like.

These "reward points" on the other hand can only be spent on Amazon, so it's more like a supermarket rewards scheme than what is commonly understood as "cashback" that you can spend anywhere.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 6th, 2022, 11:23 pm

mc2fool wrote:
pje16 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:

Well, yes it does, after 1000 points, going into your Amazon account as a gift card, no dispute about that. But what I'm saying is that normally "cashback" means a rebate on the card that reduces your bill and/or you can use to buy whatever you like wherever you like.

These "reward points" on the other hand can only be spent on Amazon, so it's more like a supermarket rewards scheme than what is commonly understood as "cashback" that you can spend anywhere.

There is also the tendency for rewards points to be devalued over time, such as we routinely see with air miles and hotel points. They are a proprietary currency and you are at the whim of the currency issuer.

Whereas cashback is here and now, so the value is immediate and not dilutable.

6Tricia
2 Lemon pips

Postby 6Tricia » October 7th, 2022, 12:00 am

@mc2fool, for me the points system on the Amazon Platinum card worked like cashback. I use Amazon for a lot of my shopping online due to mobility issues, so each time my accrued points reached £10 value and was automatically credited to my account it was very quickly used as part payment for my next purchase.

@pje, I hadn't really considered an Amex card but on checking was surprised to find that pretty much all supermarkets, including the discounters, do now accept the Amex cards! I just might apply!

Tricia

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 7th, 2022, 6:04 am

6Tricia wrote:@mc2fool, for me the points system on the Amazon Platinum card worked like cashback. I use Amazon for a lot of my shopping online due to mobility issues, so each time my accrued points reached £10 value and was automatically credited to my account it was very quickly used as part payment for my next purchase.

@pje, I hadn't really considered an Amex card but on checking was surprised to find that pretty much all supermarkets, including the discounters, do now accept the Amex cards! I just might apply!

Tricia

Thank you Tricia
I just have to accept that @mc2fool likes to pick fault in a lot of my posts, it gets very tiresome
I just tried to help by posting a link to the terms of the Amazon card but even that got criticism

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 7th, 2022, 9:41 am

pje16 wrote:
6Tricia wrote:@mc2fool, for me the points system on the Amazon Platinum card worked like cashback. I use Amazon for a lot of my shopping online due to mobility issues, so each time my accrued points reached £10 value and was automatically credited to my account it was very quickly used as part payment for my next purchase.

Tricia

Thank you Tricia
I just have to accept that @mc2fool likes to pick fault in a lot of my posts, it gets very tiresome
I just tried to help by posting a link to the terms of the Amazon card but even that got criticism

Sigh ... no, I don't like to pick fault in your posts and I didn't criticise your posting the link. I already knew about the rewards scheme but you said you got cashback, which surprised me 'cos cashback usually means money back into your card account that can be used to reduce the bill or spend as you like. If you'd said you get rewards points from the start then there'd have been no confusion, that's all.

Return to “Credit Cards and Loans”