Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Shareholder rights

Sophisticated and complex high-risk tax-sensitive investments in small companies: handle with care
BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Shareholder rights

Postby BusyBumbleBee » June 25th, 2019, 12:59 pm

Section 146 of the Companies Act 2006 says
146 Traded companies: nomination of persons to enjoy information rights

(1)This section applies to a company whose shares are admitted to trading on a regulated market.

(2)A member of such a company who holds shares on behalf of another person may nominate that person to enjoy information rights.

(3)“Information rights” means—
(a)the right to receive a copy of all communications that the company sends to its members generally or to any class of its members that includes the person making the nomination, and
(b)the rights conferred by—
(i)section 431 or 432 (right to require copies of accounts and reports), and
(ii)section 1145 (right to require hard copy version of document or information provided in another form).

(4)The reference in subsection (3)(a) to communications that a company sends to its members generally includes the company's annual accounts and reports.For the application of section 426 (option to provide [strategic report with supplementary material]) in relation to a person nominated to enjoy information rights, see subsection (5) of that section.

(5)A company need not act on a nomination purporting to relate to certain information rights only.

I hold some of my VCT shares in a nominee account (as well as some directly). I am particularly missing my printed reports of Chrysalis and Amati having moved them all across. Presumably I can ask my platform provider to do this for me - so a couple of questions for knowledgeable folks

a) has anyone done this with a provider?
b) does it apply also to SIPPs and ISAs? (Does not really apply to VCTs I suspect but it would be nice to get the printed reports of the Green Infrastructure Funds and the REITs etc)

Gostevie
2 Lemon pips

Re: Shareholder rights

Postby Gostevie » June 26th, 2019, 9:30 am

Hi BBB,

I have quite often emailed companies' Investor Relations Departments to request a hard copy of their latest Annual Report and Accounts. In the vast majority of cases I have received one within a few days, sometimes with a "Thank you for your interest. If you would like any further information please do not hesitate..." note attached.

All the best,

Steve

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 26th, 2019, 11:29 am

Isn't it a little ironic to want printed versions of anything "green"?

I welcome the absence of printed documents: I'm happy to read them online, and subscribing to relevant feeds at investegate means I always see them long before the paper versions are out.

If you don't like reading on-screen, have you considered the alternative of an e-ink screen, as used in e-readers? Compared to a regular screen, that's much closer to reading on paper, and many find it easier on the eyes - which is of course why it's so well-suited to books.

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » June 27th, 2019, 10:33 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Isn't it a little ironic to want printed versions of anything "green"?

I welcome the absence of printed documents: I'm happy to read them online, and subscribing to relevant feeds at investegate means I always see them long before the paper versions are out.

+1
https://www.investegate.co.uk/ is an excellent means for getting alerts on a user-defined list of company reports, and is often quicker that Registrars own e-mail (either information rights or direct holdings).

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » June 27th, 2019, 11:12 am

yorkshirelad1 wrote:https://www.investegate.co.uk/ is an excellent means for getting alerts on a user-defined list of company reports, and is often quicker that Registrars own e-mail (either information rights or direct holdings).

You are of course right for RNS's (though ADVFN puts them up more quickly that Investegate sends notifications) BUT there are some companies that send out important shareholder circulars which do not come via an RNS. Mostly other Fools point this out but not always.

Return to “Venture Capital Trusts (VCT's)”