Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

5 year rule on Dividend Reinvestment Schemes

Sophisticated and complex high-risk tax-sensitive investments in small companies: handle with care
attractioninvestor

5 year rule on Dividend Reinvestment Schemes

Postby attractioninvestor » October 29th, 2018, 8:46 am

Hello All,

Another questions I can't seem to be able to find an answer to.

Shares purchased through Dividend Reinvestment Schemes, do they fall under the 5 year rule or not. Cant seem to find the answer online, but I remember on the fool site there was once a comment that they do not. Can anyone provide a source of information that I could refer to?

Thanks

JC

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: 5 year rule on Dividend Reinvestment Schemes

Postby scotia » October 29th, 2018, 10:07 am

attractioninvestor wrote:Hello All,

Another questions I can't seem to be able to find an answer to.

Shares purchased through Dividend Reinvestment Schemes, do they fall under the 5 year rule or not. Cant seem to find the answer online, but I remember on the fool site there was once a comment that they do not. Can anyone provide a source of information that I could refer to?

Thanks

JC

I believe that VCT DRIS investments need to be held for 5 years to obtain the tax relief.
However, if you are selling VCT shares which are past the 5 year hold, then a recent purchase of the same shares via a DRIS should not be affected by the 6 month rule . Kidman (26th May 2017) searched and found the relevant document in this case:-
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2428&p=56179&hilit=Finance+Act+2014#p56179

Mainwaring
Lemon Pip

Re: 5 year rule on Dividend Reinvestment Schemes

Postby Mainwaring » October 29th, 2018, 12:55 pm

I agree with Scotia, except, Baronsmead used to reissue shares as a dividend under a DRIP. These didn’t have to be held 5 years as there was no accompanying income tax relief certificate. There may be others that used to DRIP like Baronsmead but I don’t think any current mainstream.

Return to “Venture Capital Trusts (VCT's)”