Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

DRIS on VCT's

Sophisticated and complex high-risk tax-sensitive investments in small companies: handle with care
barchid
Lemon Slice

DRIS on VCT's

Postby barchid » December 22nd, 2018, 8:36 pm

I wonder if anyone can help please ?
I have a portfolio of vct stocks but not wanting to hold them in certificated form I keep them in a low cost platform, which means I can't use the dris and thus have to take my dividends tax free in cash.
I know I can get around this by having a sponsored crest account, but the only people I find offering this service, apart from charging for it, also have very high trading costs.
Am I missing an easy way around this problem ?

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: DRIS on VCT's

Postby scotia » December 23rd, 2018, 2:12 am

I know that it doesn't really answer your question, but why do you not hold your DRIS VCTs in certificated form?
I hold mine in certificated form, and only transfer them to a Charles Stanley Direct nominee account (free of charge) when I want to sell them.

barchid
Lemon Slice

Postby barchid » December 23rd, 2018, 8:55 am

Reason I prefer not keeping the certificates is largely security and, if I'm honest, an element of laziness.
The sponsored crest is a very good idea but I think the last platform that did it was TD, and I'm pretty sure they've become a part of II, who definitely don't offer it. I guess I really need to make a decision on whether or not I move to certificates going forward, hopefully the dris schemes won't be curtailed by the government....

james188
2 Lemon pips

Postby james188 » December 23rd, 2018, 1:09 pm

I use Charles Stanley Direct who still offer Sponsored CREST - although I hold most of my VCT shares in certificated form - aside from secondary market purchases. I think that the CS Direct trading costs are OK, although not the absolute cheapest.

barchid
Lemon Slice

Postby barchid » December 23rd, 2018, 1:38 pm

That is most helpful, thanks !
It doesn't appear on their website but I didn't expect it to which is why I asked the forum if someone knew, I will call them tomorrow.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 23rd, 2018, 1:43 pm

james188 wrote:I use Charles Stanley Direct who still offer Sponsored CREST.

... but they seem to be very coy about their charges. :roll:

james188
2 Lemon pips

Postby james188 » December 24th, 2018, 5:26 am

I opened my CS Direct Sponsored CREST account around three years ago - the lowish cost Charles Stanley offering. I have heard a rumour that they may now only offer that version to existing account holders. Quite a few brokers only offer Sponsored CREST if you sign up for their advisory service rather than execution only and that is obviously more expensive, although if you do minimal trades the key question is the level of any annual inactivity fee. From distant memory, the other brokers I considered before opting for CS Direct (they were then the cheapest) included Killik & Co and Redmayne-Bentley.

barchid
Lemon Slice

Postby barchid » December 24th, 2018, 9:58 am

James, thanks for that tip, I have just called CS Direct but they tell me that all accounts opened in the last couple of years have to be nominee only, so another one bites the dust.
I guess I just go certificated, which seems a retrograde step in this digital age but there we go, you can't win them all

Gostevie
2 Lemon pips

Postby Gostevie » December 24th, 2018, 12:23 pm

james188 wrote:I opened my CS Direct Sponsored CREST account around three years ago - the lowish cost Charles Stanley offering. I have heard a rumour that they may now only offer that version to existing account holders. Quite a few brokers only offer Sponsored CREST if you sign up for their advisory service rather than execution only and that is obviously more expensive, although if you do minimal trades the key question is the level of any annual inactivity fee. From distant memory, the other brokers I considered before opting for CS Direct (they were then the cheapest) included Killik & Co and Redmayne-Bentley.

barchid wrote:James, thanks for that tip, I have just called CS Direct but they tell me that all accounts opened in the last couple of years have to be nominee only, so another one bites the dust.
I guess I just go certificated, which seems a retrograde step in this digital age but there we go, you can't win them all

I completely agree with all of the above. Seems crazy that in 2018/19 the only realistic way to hold shares in my own name is to have paper certificates, that living in a block of flats may well be stolen before I even see them. The nominee system that currently exists is, in my opinion, dreadful and I 100% support ShareSoc's efforts to change it.

Gostevie

CFFrost

Postby CFFrost » December 26th, 2018, 10:32 pm

Hello all,and sorry to take this off on a slight tangent - but I recently switched to DRIS for PVN (but mot my PGI). While I received my divi receipt for PGI for the recent dividend, I have had no word from Beringea about the 25.25p dividend now assigned into the DRIS. I should call them I suppose, but wondered what the standard communication is?

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » December 27th, 2018, 2:37 am

CFFrost wrote:Hello all,and sorry to take this off on a slight tangent - but I recently switched to DRIS for PVN (but mot my PGI). While I received my divi receipt for PGI for the recent dividend, I have had no word from Beringea about the 25.25p dividend now assigned into the DRIS. I should call them I suppose, but wondered what the standard communication is?

You should have received your DRIS share certificate in the mail - I think mine arrived around the 21st of December. Maybe the Christmas post has delayed your certificate. The Registrar is Signal Shares - http://www.signalshares.com. If you login you should see the number of shares allocated, and there should be contact details for communicating with them.

Return to “Venture Capital Trusts (VCT's)”