Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

XIRR on VCT Disposals

Sophisticated and complex high-risk tax-sensitive investments in small companies: handle with care
hiriskpaul
Lemon Quarter

Re: XIRR on VCT Disposals

Postby hiriskpaul » April 17th, 2019, 5:01 pm

scotia wrote:Today I sold a Baronsmead Venture Trust VCT (previously Baronsmead VCT 2) which I purchased in March 2014 - i.e. just past the 5 year date. The (Sold Price + Dividends - Net Cost)/(Net Cost) expressed as a percentage was 62.38%. The Net Cost is the price I paid less the 30% tax relief. Not bad for 5 years. But If I ignore the initial tax relief and replace the Net Cost in the above equation with the Gross Cost (no tax relief), I get 13.66% - which is better than a Cash ISA, but is not impressive.
Hence my reason for re-cycling after 5 years.

This is very similar to my experience with VCTs. I first invested in 2006, with a 40% tax rebate. Although I got some very good 5 year returns, including from (believe it or not) Foresight 3 and 4, the bulk of the returns came from the up front tax rebate. With a 40% rebate, a return of 67% was achievable even if no investment gains were made. Similarly, with a 30% rebate, a 5 year gain of 43% was achievable with no investment gains.

Without the regular tax rebates from the now banned rollovers, the returns from most VCTs seem to have ranged from mediocre to awful. After 2006, apart from rollovers, I mostly invested in limited life VCTs as these have tended to be much more asset backed and/or lower risk opportunities such as Solar with FITs (now also banned) and did not come with the risk of having a big discount to NAV after 5 years.

I still hold some limited life VCTS in runoff and others I have been exiting as opportunities present themselves, such as the Foresight tenders, but I am in no rush to invest again. The series of rule changes have increased the risks with VCTS, but not the expected returns. I also think there is too much money being poured into VCTS, while the government has taken steps to reduce the pool of allowable investments. IMHO, a combination likely to lead to poor returns.

Ps, simply bunging money into a global tracker ETF such as SWDA would have returned about 85% over the last 5 years, although returns would not have been tax free, unlike with VCTs.

timrichards1

Postby timrichards1 » June 6th, 2019, 7:10 pm

Has anyone done any research on comparing different investment platforms for selling VCTs ?

I know that HL has been mentioned a few times in this forum ( particularly when using Bed and Isa - which I am not looking to do ) .
I am particularly interested in :

1)ease of use
2) service level
3) dealing and setup costs

I just wanted if possible to try and get an informe view on this , so I can choose "the best " platform before taking the plunge and transferring the numerous paper VCT certificates I have in the filing cabinet onto the right Investment Platform.

Many Thanks,

Tim

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » June 6th, 2019, 8:06 pm

timrichards1 wrote:Has anyone done any research on comparing different investment platforms for selling VCTs ? ...
Tim

No research cos actually it's quite difficult to do this; but I have always been pleased with the way YouInvest have handled VCTs and cannot fault them. I have a plethora of them, some bought 'new' and some in the secondary market and I trade them sometimes as well.

However, I still keep some in certificated form so I can use the DRIS and take advantage of shareholder offers - regards - BBB

Return to “Venture Capital Trusts (VCT's)”