Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Interactive Investor

bulltraderpt
Lemon Slice
Posts: 300
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 6:46 am
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: Interactive Investor

#111926

Postby bulltraderpt » January 19th, 2018, 4:54 pm

dspp wrote:
bulltraderpt wrote:Yes apologies it went down from 12:00 ish to around 13:30 ish, I rang their call centre and they were apologetic, for more veracity of my point if you look on trust pilot and look at the reviews for iii today, you'll see more unhappy bunnies. I am slightly annoyed as I was tracking a share and the dealing screen went down on an identified turning point, it happens, couldn't get my back up broker up in time.


Thank you bulltrader. As 1t says they do seem to be slightly on-the-fly right now. I wonder what exactly is the issue behind the scenes. Not been a problem for me but I don't trade much.
regards, dspp

Yes I too am wondering and not in a good way. Last Friday afternoon when it went down it stayed down until the market close, then (as you might know), on Monday it worked for two minutes then went down again! As for today, well it is becoming a bit more serious for me anyway as most of my trading capital is with them.

One hopes they will go months now until this happens again, we await next week with interest.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1575
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 5:01 pm
Has thanked: 244 times
Been thanked: 174 times

Re: Interactive Investor

#112064

Postby Bouleversee » January 20th, 2018, 1:02 pm

How do I access secure messages? I can see the one I sent on l6 Jan. but it's telling me I haven't received any. I put in Oct. 1 as the start date and clicked on today's date for the end date but it says there aren't any incoming messages. How long are they taking to reply currently and what was the date of the message (which I don't recall receiving) telling us about the changes in charges including dropping the family discount? I can't see me using all the credits as it is not my main account and I am not a frequent trader. I-web Is much cheaper.

dspp
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2247
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:53 am
Has thanked: 1204 times
Been thanked: 368 times

Re: Interactive Investor

#112073

Postby dspp » January 20th, 2018, 1:33 pm

Bouleversee wrote:How do I access secure messages? I can see the one I sent on l6 Jan. but it's telling me I haven't received any. I put in Oct. 1 as the start date and clicked on today's date for the end date but it says there aren't any incoming messages. How long are they taking to reply currently and what was the date of the message (which I don't recall receiving) telling us about the changes in charges including dropping the family discount? I can't see me using all the credits as it is not my main account and I am not a frequent trader. I-web Is much cheaper.


I can't comment on the secure message bit as I am still trying to find my way around the new iii site using the TD platform. It's easy for the TD people as they know all this, so I am sure one will be along soon to answer you.

But on the matter of using all the credits these are available in all your accounts. So irrespective of which account you transact in it will use up your credits before it starts charging you extra. One of the accounts I look after has an ISA, a SIPP, and a trading account and I can confirm this from personal experience on the new (TD) platform.

regards, dspp

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1575
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 5:01 pm
Has thanked: 244 times
Been thanked: 174 times

Re: Interactive Investor

#112082

Postby Bouleversee » January 20th, 2018, 1:57 pm

Thanks, dspp. I realised that but I only have an ISA (not my main one) which has 20 holdings, almost al losing me money (seems to be jinxed), and I don't really want to add to it as my other one is much cheaper to run.

TedSwippet
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 249
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:57 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 65 times

Re: Interactive Investor

#112118

Postby TedSwippet » January 20th, 2018, 3:50 pm

Bouleversee wrote:How do I access secure messages? I can see the one I sent on l6 Jan. but it's telling me I haven't received any. ... How long are they taking to reply currently ...

If you see nothing in the Inbox tab then II just haven't yet replied. I sent them a message on Friday, and on sending their system suggested the aim was to respond in 48h (I think) but it could take up to 10 days.

Right now I am in the interesting position of having a negative cash balance -- I owe £22.50 in quarterly fee, but II owes me around £24 as a refund of a part-unused annual charge I paid them in Feb last year. I expect those to cancel out eventually, but until they do I have no trading credits. Good job I don't want or need to trade in my SIPP just now, then. :-)

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1575
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 5:01 pm
Has thanked: 244 times
Been thanked: 174 times

Re: Interactive Investor

#112167

Postby Bouleversee » January 20th, 2018, 7:00 pm

TedSwippet:

As I said, I went back to Oct 1 and there were no incoming messages showing, which I feel sure is not the case..

I thought last year it was a case of use it or lose it so far as the quarterly charge was concerned. I wasn't aware of an annual charge; perhaps you are talking about SIPP accounts of which I know nothing.

dspp
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2247
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:53 am
Has thanked: 1204 times
Been thanked: 368 times

Re: Interactive Investor

#117568

Postby dspp » February 12th, 2018, 12:09 pm

The iii software team get a pasting from clients, and answer back,

https://community.ii.co.uk/t/migration- ... site/536/4

We live in hope. If they want more feedback I am sure they can get it here.
- dspp

Alaric
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1947
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 9:05 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: Interactive Investor

#117590

Postby Alaric » February 12th, 2018, 12:51 pm

dspp wrote:The iii software team get a pasting from clients, and answer back,


ii wrote:the no.1 development priority here at ii now is building a clean slate site which will replace everything you are using today.


That's bad news unless they keep the user interface side the same and just rewrite the unseen parts. The nonsense that Barclays inflicted in their long standing users should be warning enough.

BobbyD
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2099
Joined: January 22nd, 2017, 2:29 pm
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 93 times

Re: Interactive Investor

#117606

Postby BobbyD » February 12th, 2018, 2:05 pm

Alaric wrote:
dspp wrote:The iii software team get a pasting from clients, and answer back,


ii wrote:the no.1 development priority here at ii now is building a clean slate site which will replace everything you are using today.


That's bad news unless they keep the user interface side the same and just rewrite the unseen parts. The nonsense that Barclays inflicted in their long standing users should be warning enough.


I thought the point of taking over TD was to get the sw platform? The customer retention numbers obviously haven't been good...

ursaminortaur
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1852
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 126 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: Interactive Investor

#117621

Postby ursaminortaur » February 12th, 2018, 2:46 pm

Alaric wrote:
dspp wrote:The iii software team get a pasting from clients, and answer back,


ii wrote:the no.1 development priority here at ii now is building a clean slate site which will replace everything you are using today.


That's bad news unless they keep the user interface side the same and just rewrite the unseen parts. The nonsense that Barclays inflicted in their long standing users should be warning enough.


Can't say I like the new interface - was happier with the old interface.
Also security seems to have been weakened. On the old system you had a password and a pin with you having to supply the full password and selected digits from the pin. Now you only have a password and only have to supply selected characters from that password.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1575
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 5:01 pm
Has thanked: 244 times
Been thanked: 174 times

Re: Interactive Investor

#117622

Postby Bouleversee » February 12th, 2018, 2:49 pm

I don't recall being told that my secure messages prior to 2 weeks before the migration would no longer be available, nor that the family discount would no longer apply and I asked them to send me copies of the messages sent to clients about the migration. This was the reply. Even if I am unable to check what I received in my message inbox at the time, one might have thought they could send me a copy now. They must have a filed copy surely.

"Thank you for getting in touch with us.

We’re sorry for the delay in our response. We do always try to
respond within one working day, but this can take us longer when we’re
experiencing unusually high volumes as we are at the moment.

Unfortunately we are unable to provider you with copies of your secure
messages prior to two weeks before the migration to our new platform on 11
December 2017. We had contacted you to let you know we would be moving
to our new platform by email and secure message. Going forward any
secure messages will be shown on your account. They will not be removed.
Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience that this may have
caused."

Can anyone confirm that they did definitely warn us that our stored secure messages would not be transferred over and that the famiy discount would no longer be available to members who had it?

gbjbaanb
Lemon Slice
Posts: 362
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:17 pm
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: Interactive Investor

#117841

Postby gbjbaanb » February 13th, 2018, 11:24 am

Alaric wrote:
dspp wrote:The iii software team get a pasting from clients, and answer back,


ii wrote:the no.1 development priority here at ii now is building a clean slate site which will replace everything you are using today.



Oh god help us. Two things I have learned in my career as an IT developer person is: 1) developers always want to throw everything away and start from scratch. 2) starting from scratch is the worse thing to do for any software project success.

However, reading Hamish's response it does seem they were stuck - 2 2very expensive" tech stacks to manage meant one had to go, and they chose the "wrong one", as it was the one used by fewest users. Fair enough. that the new stack is worse is another matter. I note with disappointment that the old was written in php and the new in java... neither are not what I would work with!

Alaric
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1947
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 9:05 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: Interactive Investor

#117849

Postby Alaric » February 13th, 2018, 12:10 pm

gbjbaanb wrote: 2) starting from scratch is the worse thing to do for any software project success.


There's a user familiarity issue. Those who had used the TD site as TD customers were used to the site as it only had minor changes over the years. Those who used it as transferring ii customers seemed to have difficulties.

It's obviously more complex in design terms, but isn't it possible to separate out the front end user interface from the back end trading and custody engine so that existing user interfaces can be maintained?

gbjbaanb
Lemon Slice
Posts: 362
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:17 pm
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: Interactive Investor

#117852

Postby gbjbaanb » February 13th, 2018, 12:22 pm

Alaric wrote:
gbjbaanb wrote: 2) starting from scratch is the worse thing to do for any software project success.


There's a user familiarity issue. Those who had used the TD site as TD customers were used to the site as it only had minor changes over the years. Those who used it as transferring ii customers seemed to have difficulties.

It's obviously more complex in design terms, but isn't it possible to separate out the front end user interface from the back end trading and custody engine so that existing user interfaces can be maintained?


Both sites already do that (I'm sure), no doubt the back-end is provided by someone else and the website is what III have created to consume the data. But running 2 websites built wit completely different technology stacks is expensive - all the developers and the new training and the mental shifts to work with both, costs a lot. I am surprised they went with the new one as the old one would have been cheaper, but management obviously knew best when it came to looking at the number of users on each platform.

I also assume it was cheaper to move the customers to the new platform rather than have them access the new back-end API that TD uses - there would have been too many different features and ways of doing the same things that would have meant the cost of migrating the old website was too much compared to just shifting the customer data to the new platform.

Either way, I will stick with them and see what the new beta site ends up like. If that one is pants, then it'll be time to move.... to, err.. selftrade.. ah no that's a pants site too. Umm, Barclay.. no.. :-)

(actually it would probably be AJ Bell whose website seems to be designed for usefulness and not glittery visuals. iWeb's seems OK but it a little too awkward to see what's happened in terms of dividends and reinvestments)

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1575
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 5:01 pm
Has thanked: 244 times
Been thanked: 174 times

Re: Interactive Investor

#117856

Postby Bouleversee » February 13th, 2018, 12:56 pm

I Web's annoys me in some ways: It doesn't show daily price movement on the shares in one's p/f so you have to click on research for each one and then go back to the p/f list for the next and while you are doing this at some point on returning to the p/f it says you haven't used the site for 10 mins so have logged you out. Drives me mad as I have a very long list of shares. They all seem to be pants to me though I haven't tried Bell..

BobbyD
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2099
Joined: January 22nd, 2017, 2:29 pm
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 93 times

Re: Interactive Investor

#117866

Postby BobbyD » February 13th, 2018, 1:45 pm

Bouleversee wrote:I Web's annoys me in some ways: It doesn't show daily price movement on the shares in one's p/f so you have to click on research for each one and then go back to the p/f list for the next and while you are doing this at some point on returning to the p/f it says you haven't used the site for 10 mins so have logged you out. Drives me mad as I have a very long list of shares. They all seem to be pants to me though I haven't tried Bell..


Why not run a ghost portfolio somewhere like ADVFN which gives you quick access to daily movements of all your holdings?

Not that you should have to, but it would be simple solution to your problem which required very minimal ongoing maintenance.

GoSeigen
Lemon Slice
Posts: 894
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 11:14 pm
Has thanked: 178 times
Been thanked: 195 times

Re: Interactive Investor

#117872

Postby GoSeigen » February 13th, 2018, 2:23 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:
Can't say I like the new interface - was happier with the old interface.
Also security seems to have been weakened. On the old system you had a password and a pin with you having to supply the full password and selected digits from the pin. Now you only have a password and only have to supply selected characters from that password.


Only if you are using the same browser and hardware as previous login sessions. Move to a new setup and you need to go through extra security.

My login gripe is the web forms where your cursor is moved from one form element to the next automatically. An annoying time waster -- I know how to press tab thank you very much!

GS

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1575
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 5:01 pm
Has thanked: 244 times
Been thanked: 174 times

Re: Interactive Investor

#117898

Postby Bouleversee » February 13th, 2018, 3:55 pm

BobbyD wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:I Web's annoys me in some ways: It doesn't show daily price movement on the shares in one's p/f so you have to click on research for each one and then go back to the p/f list for the next and while you are doing this at some point on returning to the p/f it says you haven't used the site for 10 mins so have logged you out. Drives me mad as I have a very long list of shares. They all seem to be pants to me though I haven't tried Bell..


Why not run a ghost portfolio somewhere like ADVFN which gives you quick access to daily movements of all your holdings?

Not that you should have to, but it would be simple solution to your problem which required very minimal ongoing maintenance.


I do have one on Digitallook for my certificated holdings and I realise I could do this but I simply don't have time to do it and keep it up to date and why should I have to?

Getting back to ii, how do you access cash statements and dividends received. Spent ages trying to find these but no success.

BobbyD
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2099
Joined: January 22nd, 2017, 2:29 pm
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 93 times

Re: Interactive Investor

#118009

Postby BobbyD » February 14th, 2018, 12:54 am

Bouleversee wrote:
I do have one on Digitallook for my certificated holdings and I realise I could do this but I simply don't have time to do it and keep it up to date and why should I have to?



If you are frequently changing page to see a daily change it sounds like it would save you time, if it wouldn't obviously don't...

From portfolio overview instead of clicking on view investments on the relevant account click on the little arrow immediately to its right and select view transaction history from the drop down list that appears.

dspp
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2247
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:53 am
Has thanked: 1204 times
Been thanked: 368 times

Re: Interactive Investor

#118042

Postby dspp » February 14th, 2018, 9:02 am

Bouleversee wrote:
Getting back to ii, how do you access cash statements and dividends received. Spent ages trying to find these but no success.


I am a newby to the new iii site, so maybe a TD user is best placed to answer this, but let me try ....

1. Go to the home page (portfolio > overview)
2. On the centre right there is a blue button with a drop down menu for each of your portfolios (e.g. trading/ISA/SIPP)
3. The default is "view investments"; instead select the last of the four options "view transaction history"
4. And there you have dividends received, and any payments in/out of the account (portfolio > transaction history)

You can get to the same place other pathways.

regards, dspp


Return to “Brokers and Share Dealing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest