Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

recommendations for a share ISA

Discuss Brokers, trading, fees, experiences
ben328

recommendations for a share ISA

Postby ben328 » September 10th, 2018, 6:34 pm

I am going to be investing a sum of money in shares/IT's within an ISA, that for reasons I don't need to go in to, I want to keep separate from my wife and my other ISA's. Therefore excluding AJ Bell, Interactive Investor, X-O and Selftrade, where would people recommend.

There won't be a lot of dealing so lower annual charges are more important than dealing fees. I wouldn't expect to be on the phone to them at all. So the main factors I think are the reliability and ease of use of the website, and the annual charges. Any other factors people want to highlight would be welcome.

Thanks

nmdhqbc
2 Lemon pips

Re: recommendations for a share ISA

Postby nmdhqbc » September 10th, 2018, 7:28 pm

iWeb seems the obvious answer here. By far the cheapest. £25 one off fee to open. Then £5 per trade. That's it.

doug2500
2 Lemon pips

Postby doug2500 » September 11th, 2018, 9:37 am

Iweb is a good suggestion for your criteria IMO

BobbyD
Lemon Quarter

Postby BobbyD » September 11th, 2018, 5:01 pm

nmdhqbc wrote:iWeb seems the obvious answer here.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » September 14th, 2018, 6:45 pm

Afaik only iWeb and Halifax make no charge for holding Funds. And the Halifax website is obsolete and awful. No experience of the iWeb website. But it seems to leave a choice of one.

Gryff

Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter

Postby Itsallaguess » September 14th, 2018, 7:06 pm

gryffron wrote:
And the Halifax website is obsolete and awful.

Seeing that opinion has surprised me. I've used the Halifax share platform for over 20 years, and it's always done everything I've asked of it.

It's also been one of the few online trading platforms that has managed to stay true to it's overall look-and-feel whilst still incorporating necessary changes over the years.

I can't say that of any of the other shares platforms that I've used - many seem to see 'change' as being necessary for the sake of it, and seem to want to completely up-end previously useful user-interfaces at the drop of a hat, and often in a way that renders the new design much worse that the previous offering.

I suppose those web-designers know how to keep themselves in work, if nothing else....

Of course our personal experiences will always vary, of course, and I'm sure you've had issues with the Halifax platform that justifies your negative view above, but I just wanted to counter that with my own experience of the Halifax share service, and it's been absolutely exemplary for over 20 years....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

mc2fool
Lemon Slice

Postby mc2fool » September 14th, 2018, 7:51 pm

gryffron wrote:Afaik only iWeb and Halifax make no charge for holding Funds.

ATS and II have a flat-fee structure with no charge for holding funds.

And the Halifax website is obsolete and awful. No experience of the iWeb website.

The IWeb site is (I'm pretty sure) identical to the Halifax one, just orange instead of blue themed.

IWeb is one of my brokers and I've seen some folks call their website "basic" before, but on query it's always been that the things that made folks say that were either small and inconsequential or were rarely (if ever for most people) actions that could be quickly and easily done anyway by asking them directly.

Far from "basic" or "obsolete and awful" I find the IWeb site to be very easy and straightforward and has all the functionality I need. I use three brokers, IWeb, II and ATS, and have used SelfTrade in the past, and the IWeb site is most definitely my preferred one, as a user -- and is the most reliable too.

bulltraderpt
Lemon Slice

Postby bulltraderpt » September 14th, 2018, 9:52 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
gryffron wrote:
And the Halifax website is obsolete and awful.

Seeing that opinion has surprised me. I've used the Halifax share platform for over 20 years, and it's always done everything I've asked of it.

It's also been one of the few online trading platforms that has managed to stay true to it's overall look-and-feel whilst still incorporating necessary changes over the years.

I can't say that of any of the other shares platforms that I've used - many seem to see 'change' as being necessary for the sake of it, and seem to want to completely up-end previously useful user-interfaces at the drop of a hat, and often in a way that renders the new design much worse that the previous offering.

I suppose those web-designers know how to keep themselves in work, if nothing else....

Of course our personal experiences will always vary, of course, and I'm sure you've had issues with the Halifax platform that justifies your negative view above, but I just wanted to counter that with my own experience of the Halifax share service, and it's been absolutely exemplary for over 20 years....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I use to think as you did regarding Iweb, i.e it was THE best dealing site for speed and execution. However now if you are day trading and the price changes you can't re-quote like you use to do.

In fact for quick trading it is not up to the standard as it use to be years ago.

If you are a buy and holder it is perfect though.

Cheers.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Quarter

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 14th, 2018, 10:34 pm

Halifax (HSDL) suits me fine as an irregular trader. £12.50pa (Please check !) and monthly cheap dealing days
The website is clean and straightforward, and I've never had any problems

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » September 14th, 2018, 10:58 pm

Halifax website uses JavaScript pop up windows for both messaging, and confirming you have read the funds info.
Since all modern browsers block such, the website is borderline unusable with chrome, edge and Firefox. I have told them this and their response is "we support internet explorer". Marvellous, they support an obsolete browser no longer shipped on computers.
You can trade shares without pop ups, but not funds. It does work on safari, so my iPad is the only device I can fully use the Halifax website on.
Be warned.

Gryff

mc2fool
Lemon Slice

Postby mc2fool » September 14th, 2018, 11:28 pm

gryffron wrote:Halifax website uses JavaScript pop up windows for both messaging, and confirming you have read the funds info.
Since all modern browsers block such, the website is borderline unusable with chrome, edge and Firefox.

Dunno about Edge but Chrome and Firefox both inform you when a popup has been blocked and let you show it and whitelist the site, so it's at most a once-off minor inconvenience.

mc2fool
Lemon Slice

Postby mc2fool » September 14th, 2018, 11:39 pm

bulltraderpt wrote:I use to think as you did regarding Iweb, i.e it was THE best dealing site for speed and execution. However now if you are day trading and the price changes you can't re-quote like you use to do.

Well I'm definitely not a day trader but I'm not quite sure what you mean here, as I don't recall any changes in the trade setup: you can still cancel and restart the 15 seconds trade timer and get a new quote, as always, no? But in any case, if you're a day trader you surely want a broker with level 2 access?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter

Postby Itsallaguess » September 15th, 2018, 3:17 am

gryffron wrote:
Halifax website uses JavaScript pop up windows for both messaging, and confirming you have read the funds info.

Since all modern browsers block such, the website is borderline unusable with chrome, edge and Firefox. I have told them this and their response is "we support internet explorer". Marvellous, they support an obsolete browser no longer shipped on computers.

You can trade shares without pop ups, but not funds. It does work on safari, so my iPad is the only device I can fully use the Halifax website on.

Be warned.

I've had zero problems with the Halifax website on numerous PC's over the 20-year period that I've used it.

This is on the Firefox browser with a few different flavours of Windows, currently Windows 10 as my main machine.

It seems as though our experiences of using the Halifax platform are completely different. I'm obviously not in a position to fully understand why you seem to have the problems that you do, but I just wanted to add an opposing view given my own experience of the platform, and having absolutely no issues over the 20-year period that I've used it.

I'd recommend Halifax in an instant.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » September 15th, 2018, 8:09 am

No problems using either Edge or Chrome.

My only gripe is that they give incorrect valuations for new style index linked gilts. They use the clean price rather than the dirty price. They say they use standard packaged software and other brokers do the same. I expect that is true, but Youinvest uses the correct price. The correct price is easily available online. Nonetheless, I do not believe that they should give valuations that they know to be wrong.

Apart from that, iWeb has been less troublesome than the other brokers that I have used.

bulltraderpt
Lemon Slice

Postby bulltraderpt » September 15th, 2018, 8:48 am

mc2fool wrote:
bulltraderpt wrote:I use to think as you did regarding Iweb, i.e it was THE best dealing site for speed and execution. However now if you are day trading and the price changes you can't re-quote like you use to do.

Well I'm definitely not a day trader but I'm not quite sure what you mean here, as I don't recall any changes in the trade setup: you can still cancel and restart the 15 seconds trade timer and get a new quote, as always, no? But in any case, if you're a day trader you surely want a broker with level 2 access?

No. You can't just refresh (as you use to be able to do), you have to retype the ticker again, hence it is not anywhere as efficient as it use to be, and any inefficiencies the algo's throw up can't be exploited anywhere as easily as it use to be.

I don't need a broker with level 2 as I have a stock market provider which gives level 2 real time charts etc.

XFool
Lemon Quarter

Postby XFool » September 15th, 2018, 12:55 pm

gryffron wrote:Halifax website uses JavaScript pop up windows for both messaging, and confirming you have read the funds info.

Really? I thought IE was still "shipped" with Windows 10 (as well as Edge). However, as I don't use W10, I wouldn't really know. ;)

But, AFAIK, all "modern" browsers allow setting exceptions on individual sites. So I wouldn't expect there to be a problem.

The only real problem I have with HSDL is with their ISA Reports where, very strangely and unlike their non ISA accounts, they do not currently list the actual details of a share transaction (Share, Buy, Sell, Price etc) just the net total transaction value.

See thread: 'HSDL again' - But don't get distracted by the "quarterly" vs "annual" Reports debate.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Quarter

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 15th, 2018, 1:44 pm

I use Chrome and have never noticed any issues with Halifax/HSDL site.
Few minor niggles - can't download dividend data as csv/Excel - they fixed this on share summary screen.
I've never felt the need to move after 10+ years

Return to “Brokers and Share Dealing”