Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Digital Look

Discuss Brokers, trading, fees, experiences
bluedonkey
2 Lemon pips

Digital Look

Postby bluedonkey » October 15th, 2018, 4:31 pm

I keep details of my portfolios on Digital Look. It's often a bit cranky but today I find that when I click on "Portfolio", there are none there. Any thoughts apart from switching to another site?

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Digital Look

Postby Breelander » October 15th, 2018, 4:52 pm

bluedonkey wrote:... today I find that when I click on "Portfolio", there are none there....

My DigitalLook portfolios are still there, but if you want to look for alternatives then see this old thread from the TMF days...
https://web.archive.org/web/20161115151 ... sort=whole

The MoneyExtra portfolio service was closed and alternatives were asked for. Of the ones I tested for that thread, MorningStar and FT.com portfolios seemed viable alternatives. Both are free registration. See the thread for more details.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » October 16th, 2018, 9:13 am

I succeeded in logging in to Digital Look, but was then presented with a WebFG login. The same user name and password did not work there. I previously set up a Trustnet account. It was OK for valuations, but gave virtually no data for individual shares. Trustnet then asked me to change my password. It is bad enough having umpteen passwords. I do not want to have to keep changing them for accounts that do not even contain sensitive information. I expect that I will have to revisit that account. What a pain.

bluedonkey
2 Lemon pips

Postby bluedonkey » October 16th, 2018, 10:02 am

GeoffF100 wrote:I succeeded in logging in to Digital Look, but was then presented with a WebFG login. The same user name and password did not work there. I previously set up a Trustnet account. It was OK for valuations, but gave virtually no data for individual shares. Trustnet then asked me to change my password. It is bad enough having umpteen passwords. I do not want to have to keep changing them for accounts that do not even contain sensitive information. I expect that I will have to revisit that account. What a pain.

Yes that's exactly what happenned to me. I can't find my portfolio data (it was a lot!) anywhere on the Digital Look/WebFG system.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » October 16th, 2018, 10:12 am

bluedonkey wrote:
GeoffF100 wrote:I succeeded in logging in to Digital Look, but was then presented with a WebFG login. The same user name and password did not work there. I previously set up a Trustnet account. It was OK for valuations, but gave virtually no data for individual shares. Trustnet then asked me to change my password. It is bad enough having umpteen passwords. I do not want to have to keep changing them for accounts that do not even contain sensitive information. I expect that I will have to revisit that account. What a pain.

Yes that's exactly what happenned to me. I can't find my portfolio data (it was a lot!) anywhere on the Digital Look/WebFG system.

With the login URL that Breelander provided: http://www.digitallook.com/cgi-bin/dlme ... uation.cgi
I can log into DL (even using Chrome). When logged in, I see my current portfolio and can add shares to it and view performance, or create a new portfolio without problem

--kiloran

bluedonkey
2 Lemon pips

Postby bluedonkey » October 16th, 2018, 10:30 am

Kiloran,

Thanks that link helps and gets me further than I was getting before. I can now access all the detail of my portfolios which is the main thing. However I can't get to the screen which shows the totals of all the portfolios on one screen. It was useful to see the total of all the portfolios as a quick guide to the overall state of the investments.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » October 16th, 2018, 11:09 am

bluedonkey wrote:Kiloran,

Thanks that link helps and gets me further than I was getting before. I can now access all the detail of my portfolios which is the main thing. However I can't get to the screen which shows the totals of all the portfolios on one screen. It was useful to see the total of all the portfolios as a quick guide to the overall state of the investments.

I can't see any way to display the total value of all portfolios, but I don't normally use DL for portfolios so I don't know if the capability has been lost, or perhaps never existed.

I've used ADVFN to monitor my portfolios for many years and it's very reliable and has the ability to show a summary and total of all portfolios.

--kiloran

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 16th, 2018, 11:53 am

bluedonkey wrote:However I can't get to the screen which shows the totals of all the portfolios on one screen...

No. Neither can I. That is normally reached by the link near top left that's named 'Portfolios & Watchlists'. That's the one that now redirects to WebFG.

Also, my link http://www.digitallook.com/cgi-bin/dlme ... uation.cgi doesn't work if you only use a Watchlist, it only works if you have a Portfolio.

If you only use Watchlists, try this link:
http://www.digitallook.com/cgi-bin/dlme ... =valuation

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » October 16th, 2018, 12:14 pm

Miraculously, that link worked for me too via Firefox on Linux.

Tri2000

Postby Tri2000 » October 17th, 2018, 9:42 am

Thank goodness for Kiloran's link, I also thought my portfolio data was gone.

DL has been my main tracking site where I was able to add the data for different trading accounts and brokers in one place. I have been using it, I think, since about 2001 so there is a huge amount of trading data that which I accept, given the current scaling back of the service, is only a matter of time now before it is gone.

For the last 5 years I have been using the portfolio tool at Stockopedia for my more active (aka riskier AIM / fun pot) where the ability to add notes to trades and companies has helped me remember why I bought some stocks. I also add exit strategy at the time of purchase and revise it when conditions are met. I may move everything there but I am not sure how to account for current profit and loss - perhaps set a dummy purchase price that builds in the initial position?

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » October 17th, 2018, 10:26 am

Tri2000 wrote:Thank goodness for Kiloran's link, I also thought my portfolio data was gone.

Ahem.... I was just reporting what Breelander had posted, so the kudos go to Bree

Tri2000 wrote:For the last 5 years I have been using the portfolio tool at Stockopedia for my more active (aka riskier AIM / fun pot) where the ability to add notes to trades and companies has helped me remember why I bought some stocks. I also add exit strategy at the time of purchase and revise it when conditions are met. I may move everything there but I am not sure how to account for current profit and loss - perhaps set a dummy purchase price that builds in the initial position?

The ADVFN portfolio also allows notes to be added to each trade. And it's free.

--kiloran

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 17th, 2018, 10:29 am

Tri2000 wrote:Thank goodness for Kiloran's link, I also thought my portfolio data was gone...

Actually, Kiloran credited me for that link ;)
Kiloran wrote:With the login URL that Breelander provided: http://www.digitallook.com/cgi-bin/dlme ... uation.cgi

For years I have used DL too. I have several portfolios and watchlists, so to save time navigating to each I had bookmarked them. Each bookmark asks me to log in then takes me direct to the portfolio/watchlist concerned. With the personal account info removed my portfolio link becomes the above link - a generic link to the portfolios. The generic link to a watchlist page is:
http://www.digitallook.com/cgi-bin/dlme ... =valuation

My advice, bookmark your portfolio(s) and watclist(s) now while you can to avoid possibly loosing the way to them in the future.

It is the link near the top left saying 'Portfolios & Watchlists' that was broken and redirected to the WebFG page. The behaviour of that link has changed today, so they are apparently trying to correct this problem - not entirely successfully. Instead of the WebFG sign in page you got yesterday it now goes to a blank WebFG page titled '###TITLE### | Webfg.com'. A hopeful sign that they are trying to return it to normal.

In the mean time, to navigate to another Portfolio or Watchlist, select one from the dropdown lists above each portfolio where it says:

Portfolio: [--please select--v] Watchlist: [--please select--v]

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » October 25th, 2018, 12:25 am

After wasting a lot of time and suffering a panic attack, I searched for Digitallook on here and found the thread and that dear Breelander, the fount of all knowledge, had provided the necessary link to enable me to get onto my portfolios on DL, where my computer or DL remembered my log in details which I had forgotten and which don't of course work on WebFG who have no record of my email address on their database either. Phew! Thanks very much, Bree. However, being a very elderly lady I haven't a clue how to bookmark or what it means, so in order to avoid having to visit this thread every time to access your link, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask for help with that as well.

I hadn't looked at the 2 portfolios I have on DL for a few weeks (too busy dealing with other crises) so I was surprised to find a totally different website without any means of accessing my portfolios. I think it is disgraceful that we have had no communication from them about these changes and I don't like the new website. All the platforms are changing them and making them a great deal worse rather than better. What could I have done if TLF hadn't existed? Well, I was planning to ring the customer support number tomorrow but I daresay that would have been futile.

Where is the best place to list one's portfolios and also be able to get accurate information about the holdings which I can no longer do on IWeb or Interactive Investor who both give completely different statistics for the same companies and neither is correct in all respects. These research pages seem to be run by cretins. So I am going to have to put all my portfolios somewhere where I can access reliable information about my too numerous holdings. Someone suggested ADVFN. Is it easy to set up p/fs on there and can one get accurate statistics about the shares on there?
Is there anywhere even better?

Bouleversee.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 25th, 2018, 12:47 am

Bouleversee wrote:I haven't a clue how to bookmark or what it means, so in order to avoid having to visit this thread every time to access your link, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask for help with that as well.

Exactly how depends on your browser, but the all work in muck the same way. For both Edge and Firefox there is a 'star' icon at the right-hand end of the address box. It will variously be called 'add to your favourites' (Edge) or 'bookmark this page' (Firefox). Click this remember the address of the page you are viewing. A little further right is an icon to click that will list your saved favourites/bookmarks. In both Edge and Firefox Ctrl+i will also show them.

Well, I was planning to ring the customer support number tomorrow but I daresay that would have been futile.

Yes, I tried and their recorded message says you can now only get support by sending them an email. Only their paying advertisers can get phone support these days.

Where is the best place to list one's portfolios and also be able to get accurate information about the holdings ... Is there anywhere even better?

On another 'Digital Look' thread I said...

Breelander wrote: If you want to look for alternatives then see this old thread from the TMF days...
https://web.archive.org/web/20161115151 ... sort=whole

The MoneyExtra portfolio service was closed and alternatives were asked for. Of the ones I tested for that thread, MorningStar and FT.com portfolios seemed viable alternatives. Both are free registration. See the thread for more details.
viewtopic.php?p=173988#p173988

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » October 25th, 2018, 8:48 am

Many thanks, Bree. Will try that later. I wouldn't have any confidence in Morningstar. They do Interactive Investors' website research pages and they are full of mistakes. E.g. they have PFC showing a yield of 0 and a P/E of minus791.97 and in most cases show div. cover as N/A. I think they also do IWeb's which show PSN as having a yield of 0% with a cover of 0 but a dividend of 110p, xd on 14.6.18 but never state when divs. are paid. How reliable is the FT's? Come to that, can I be assured that my p/f valuations on DL are correct and, assuming I can still click on the share to get details, will they be accurate? I need to be able to research a share and have confidence that the info. supplied will be correct. When I will find time to transfer all my numerous holdings to another site is another matter.

dspp
Lemon Quarter

Postby dspp » October 25th, 2018, 9:37 am

BV,

Not wanting to teach an old lady to suck eggs, so sorry if this doesn't help.

If you use ii as your broker, then when you log on to you ii client account your actual real-world portfolio is always correct. Same for other brokers in the real-world part of their client accounts.

It is only if you have set up pretend-portfolios in the 'non-client' part of ii, or of any other web-service, that the pretend-portfolio can get out of kilter with reality. These 'non-client' areas are really marketing tools set up to lure in punters with a view to them becoming clients in the future.

In all of these if you click through to whatever is the research area then the old adage "garbage in, garbage out" applies. The data entry people do get stuff wrong - £ for p, and all sorts of other errors. And so you really need to have your wits about you and trust nothing, and always cross-check any figures you are relying on to make decisions.

regards, dspp

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » October 25th, 2018, 9:51 am

Bouleversee wrote:Many thanks, Bree. Will try that later. I wouldn't have any confidence in Morningstar. They do Interactive Investors' website research pages and they are full of mistakes. E.g. they have PFC showing a yield of 0 and a P/E of minus791.97 and in most cases show div. cover as N/A. I think they also do IWeb's which show PSN as having a yield of 0% with a cover of 0 but a dividend of 110p, xd on 14.6.18 but never state when divs. are paid. How reliable is the FT's? Come to that, can I be assured that my p/f valuations on DL are correct and, assuming I can still click on the share to get details, will they be accurate? I need to be able to research a share and have confidence that the info. supplied will be correct. When I will find time to transfer all my numerous holdings to another site is another matter.

My thought is "What is reality?"
For portfolio value, is it based on mid, bid or offer prices? Real-Time or delayed? Is yield based on current price or some historic price? And is it based on the dividends over the past rolling 12 months, the last company financial year, or what? Does it include special dividends? And a million other questions. So before you consider the accuracy of the data, you have to consider the definitions (which may not be apparent).
I think most sites provide credible data, with the occasional glitch. And most sites are free. If you used a paid-for service, you might be happier (and poorer!). Or use the companies' own financial reports.... they should be correct (though potentially with different definitions of data).

I've used ADVFN for many years for an online portfolio. Easy to set up, fast, reliable, no nagging emails, can add comments on transactions, handles multiple portfolios and also shows the total. Not sure if it handles funds/unit trusts/oeics

You might also consider the London Stock Exchange https://www.londonstockexchange.com
It could be argued that this is more likely to be "correct" than other sites, at least for prices.

--kiloran

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » October 25th, 2018, 2:46 pm

dspp wrote:BV,

Not wanting to teach an old lady to suck eggs, so sorry if this doesn't help.

If you use ii as your broker, then when you log on to you ii client account your actual real-world portfolio is always correct. Same for other brokers in the real-world part of their client accounts.

It is only if you have set up pretend-portfolios in the 'non-client' part of ii, or of any other web-service, that the pretend-portfolio can get out of kilter with reality. These 'non-client' areas are really marketing tools set up to lure in punters with a view to them becoming clients in the future.

In all of these if you click through to whatever is the research area then the old adage "garbage in, garbage out" applies. The data entry people do get stuff wrong - £ for p, and all sorts of other errors. And so you really need to have your wits about you and trust nothing, and always cross-check any figures you are relying on to make decisions.

regards, dspp

Thanks. I wasn't doubting the accuracy of my actual p/f values invested through ii but if I am checking any info. on the holdings or indeed any other share I expect it to be correct; otherwise what is the point of publishing it at all? As for my certificated p/f on DL, I will certainly double check its accuracy in future, which I do anyway before doing any transfers. If one set up a p/f on the LSE so I might try that if I ever get time.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 25th, 2018, 3:01 pm

Bouleversee wrote:As for my certificated p/f on DL, I will certainly double check its accuracy in future...

For the shares I hold, at least, I haven't spotted any inaccuracies in the DL portfolio share prices. By 5:00pm it always shows the closing price as set by the 4:35pm SETS auction (aka Uncrossing Trade).

Paid dividends are another matter though. For shares that declare in dollars or euros DL often uses an inaccurate conversion rate when adding the dividend to the cash balance. I always have to edit the cash adjustments for my VOD, RDSB and RIO, for example.

BobGe
2 Lemon pips

Postby BobGe » October 26th, 2018, 1:19 am

From the tone of the answers I'm getting from WFG I wouldn't bank on DL Portfolios being accessible for long. There's no migration to WFG (they say to set up a new one) and the WFG Portfolio function is best described using the acronym for 'can't recommend a portfolio'.

There is no data extraction facility provided for DL Portfolios - anyone have any suggestions?

Return to “Brokers and Share Dealing”