Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Flat fee broker alternatives to II and ATS

Discuss Brokers, trading, fees, experiences
OZYU
2 Lemon pips

Re: Flat fee broker alternatives to II and ATS

Postby OZYU » October 26th, 2018, 4:01 pm

Jabd2001 wrote:OYZU, I’m assuming you are not invested in funds?

I’m a bit stuffed really. I want a broker I where can hold a large, infrequently traded fund portfolio. II and iWeb are only options now. Already converted one brokers assets to ETFs but had hoped to keep the others. I rather like the Vanguard Lifestrategy funds.

No, only one of the three portfolios has the odd fund, or we would have gone another way of course.

My wife invests only in Collectives, but mostly ITs, in any case she will do the odd switch when she feels the time is right. The rest is mostly individual holdings, we only hold one ETF.

The main driver for us was future platform stability and quality of service. We will see of course.

As for funds, I think the days of a few platforms not charging ad valorem for holding those might be numbered, but there is often a perfectly good IT (or maybe ETF although as I said we are not into those much) alternative anyway.

Good luck to you all the same.

Ozyu

monabri
Lemon Quarter

Postby monabri » October 27th, 2018, 6:02 pm

SVS Securities. £7.95 to buy/sell. No 'joining fee', no admin and no inactivity charges.

Funding the account is ok but not as slick as iWeb.

Not sure it offers the range of markets as iWeb.

BobGe
2 Lemon pips

Postby BobGe » October 29th, 2018, 12:16 am

GeoffF100 wrote:If Lloyds decides that HSDL has enough customers and starts ramping up their charges, that will be fundamental change in the market place.

I have a feeling that HSDL makes quite a turn on DRIP and regular investment clients.

eyeball08
Lemon Pip

Postby eyeball08 » January 10th, 2019, 6:46 pm

For ISAs holding a mixture of shares and Investment trusts only I have been happy with both II and ATS. Am in taking the income phase of life and I like the way these two pay out monthly income at no extra cost. II pays out individual dividends almost instantly (if over £25 I believe) and AT on a monthly fixed date of whatever combined amount has arrived to them.
I prefer not to have it all with one provider so will move the AT half elsewhere I think. Hargreaves Lansdowne seems a big stable outfit. It is expensive for UTs at 0.45% pa with cap of over £1000 but not expensive for a no fund ISA at 0.45% capped at only £45 pa. This looks suspiciously low?
The slightly higher trading fees may put off some but I don't want to trade more than a very few times a year, if at all.
Am i missing something here? Are there inactivity fees hidden away somewhere? Are there charges for paying out monthly dividends?
Would like to hear from anyone using HL in a similar way.
eyeball

mc2fool
Lemon Quarter

Postby mc2fool » January 11th, 2019, 3:16 pm

eyeball08 wrote:II pays out individual dividends almost instantly (if over £25 I believe) ...

Where do you set that up? I can't see any such option under any of the menus.

eyeball08 wrote:I prefer not to have it all with one provider so will move the AT half elsewhere I think. Hargreaves Lansdowne seems a big stable outfit. It is expensive for UTs at 0.45% pa with cap of over £1000 but not expensive for a no fund ISA at 0.45% capped at only £45 pa. This looks suspiciously low?
The slightly higher trading fees may put off some but I don't want to trade more than a very few times a year, if at all.
Am i missing something here?

Have you looked at IWeb? £25 one off sign up fee, £5 dealing fee, and no other regular costs -- and you can set it up to pay away dividends to your bank account; immediately for dealing accounts and immediately or six-monthly (Apr/Oct) for ISAs.

https://www.iweb-sharedealing.co.uk/sha ... g-home.asp

(I have dealing accounts with ATS, II & IWeb and ISAs with II & IWeb, and I have the dividends from the ATS & IWeb dealing accounts paid away.)

Lootman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lootman » January 11th, 2019, 3:39 pm

mc2fool wrote:Have you looked at IWeb? £25 one off sign up fee, £5 dealing fee, and no other regular costs -- and you can set it up to pay away dividends to your bank account; immediately for dealing accounts and immediately or six-monthly (Apr/Oct) for ISAs.

https://www.iweb-sharedealing.co.uk/sha ... g-home.asp

(I have dealing accounts with ATS, II & IWeb and ISAs with II & IWeb, and I have the dividends from the ATS & IWeb dealing accounts paid away.)

I moved my two main accounts from ATS to TD years ago, as I found the ATS site to be clunky, and corporate actions were handled manually and ponderously through the post. TD handled them electronically, as does ii now of course.

So my question for iWeb (or any other broker) is - can you handle corporate actions in a paperless way? I haven't found another broker that can, so far.

I'd actually like to move from ii, but I want to be totally paperless as I am now. A cash bonus for moving to a new broker would be nice as well - I believe that ii offers up to 2 grand for a transfer in.

mc2fool
Lemon Quarter

Postby mc2fool » January 11th, 2019, 3:51 pm

Lootman wrote:So my question for iWeb (or any other broker) is - can you handle corporate actions in a paperless way? I haven't found another broker that can, so far.

I'd actually like to move from ii, but I want to be totally paperless as I am now. A cash bonus for moving to a new broker would be nice as well - I believe that ii offers up to 2 grand for a transfer in.

Everything on IWeb, including corporate actions, is paperless ... except for voting on company resolutions and attending AGMs/EGMs (which you have to do a once-only sign up for being able to do), for which they send you a form by post along with a business reply envelope.

eyeball08
Lemon Pip

Postby eyeball08 » January 12th, 2019, 6:51 pm

In response to mc2fool:

I said II pay out dividends to my bank account very quickly, without any deduction/fee, from my ISA. For example, a large dividend payment due from RDSB on 19 December, was available for spending in my bank account on 21 December. Same story with Tate and NG this present month. This seems ideal.

Looking at the recently updated punter interface for II I also cannot easily see how this could be set up now. It would be easy to set up for dividend reinvestment, which is not what I want to do but gains them a fee every time, of course. I will contact them on Monday to see if automatic payment to me can still be arranged. Otherwise I will not be putting any more holdings in. Despite being in the income taking phase, I still want to add to ISAS.

Thanks for your IWeb info. Certainly like the £5 dealing fee and sounds easier to set up for rapid ISA income away payments. Would obviously prefer immediate rather than 6 monthly.

Wonder if anyone from II or AT ever looks at this stuff? ;)

mc2fool
Lemon Quarter

Postby mc2fool » January 12th, 2019, 7:51 pm

eyeball08 wrote:I said II pay out dividends to my bank account very quickly, without any deduction/fee, from my ISA. For example, a large dividend payment due from RDSB on 19 December, was available for spending in my bank account on 21 December. Same story with Tate and NG this present month. This seems ideal.

Mine from IWeb take a day longer, i.e. arriving on the third banking day after rather than the second. Still good enough.

eyeball08 wrote:Looking at the recently updated punter interface for II I also cannot easily see how this could be set up now.

Ok, it's not just me not finding it then. :D

eyeball08 wrote:Thanks for your IWeb info. Certainly like the £5 dealing fee and sounds easier to set up for rapid ISA income away payments. Would obviously prefer immediate rather than 6 monthly.

Just to be clear, IWeb's pay-away settings are for the whole account, you can't choose on a per-holding basis (although you can have different settings for your dealing a/c and ISA).

Return to “Brokers and Share Dealing”