Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Tidy up time: free sales for <£2000 holdings at AJ Bell

Discuss Brokers, trading, fees, experiences
JoyofBrex8889
2 Lemon pips

Tidy up time: free sales for <£2000 holdings at AJ Bell

Postby JoyofBrex8889 » June 11th, 2019, 12:18 pm

Just wanted to highlight the charge free sales available to AJ Bell Youinvest customers until 21 July.

I just used it to clear out more of my HYP phase purchases plus a few holdings I had taken starter positions in that I no longer thought worthwhile. Oddly its somehow much more palatable to crystallise losses when one isn’t paying a dealing fee.

Now my only remaining HYP shares: Rio Tinto, Imperial Brands, Legal and General, Aviva, Persimmon, Unilever and WPP.

Reason for the sales to free up funds: Really over the last several years proved to my own satisfaction that I am getting better results from the parts of my portfolio invested in ITs and ETFs and (whisper it) stock-picking small cap growth shares plus occasional opportunistic trading. So allocating the capital where I am seeing good effects makes sense.

Nice to get rid of some long-standing reds from the screen!

JoyofBrex8889
2 Lemon pips

Re: Tidy up time: free sales for <£2000 holdings at AJ Bell

Postby JoyofBrex8889 » June 11th, 2019, 12:37 pm

Just noticed my error: apologies for my brain fart: 21 June not July!

monabri
Lemon Quarter

Postby monabri » June 11th, 2019, 6:47 pm

JoyofBrex8889 wrote:
.......: Really over the last several years proved to my own satisfaction that I am getting better results from the parts of my portfolio invested in ITs and ETFs and (whisper it) stock-picking small cap growth shares plus occasional opportunistic trading. So allocating the capital where I am seeing good effects makes sense.

Me too - markedly better, although this is in terms of total return over a relatively short period of time (~2.5 years) and it is a comparison of two different "strategies".

I noted your posting on PCT today (not to be confused with WPCT) as I've been "Pickering". I already hold SMT at ~3.7% of the p'folio. There is some overlap between PCT and SMT, but not significant (table below compiled from info from Morningstar X ray tool).

I might wait a little to see if Trump tweets something which upsets the market ...come on Donald, you know you want to! ;)

Gan020

Postby Gan020 » June 12th, 2019, 11:38 am

That's a pretty generous offer from AJ Bell. No doubt it won't actually cost them or their brokers much if anything as most people will sell their losers and re-invest in something else which will get them a commission.

Regardless well done AJ Bell

Return to “Brokers and Share Dealing”